2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 9:32 AM by dEaF TO LiGhT

How to Group Text Together as Separate Entries Dependent on Styles for Page-Breaking Purposes

dEaF TO LiGhT

Long title, but I don't know how to ask this any other way.

I have a 350+ page guidebook full of hundreds of radio shows, TV shows, newspapers, etc. all around the country.  The name of each entry is preceided by a paragraph style called gray box that puts a rule below that highlights the title line gray (that was how they all were organized before, so if the underlining technique is better, let me know, but I opted to keep them the way they were).  Is there any way to have indesign know these are entries?  Whenever I make edits, I've been manually going through to manually hit numkey enter so that it breaks the page if one of the entries spills over to the next page.  I tried setting keep options for the lines after the gray box rule, thinking that would work, but none of the combinations did what I wanted. 

This is what I mean:

(gray box paragraph with rule below)

Newspaper 1 (this line is highlighted gray)

www.newspaper1.com                            Twitter: @Newspaper1

Newspaper description

Newspaper Name                             Contact 1 Name, Title

Mailing Address                               Contact 1 Phone Number

City, State, Zip                                 Contact 1 e-mail

Phone Number

Contact 2 Name, Title                      Contact 3 Name, Title

Contact 2 Phone Number                Contact 3 Phone Number

Contact 2 e-mail                              Contact 3 e-mail

(gray box paragraph with rule below)

Newspaper 2 (this line is highlighted gray)

www.newspaper2.com                            Twitter: @Newspaper2

Newspaper description

Newspaper Name                             Contact 1 Name, Title

Mailing Address                               Contact 1 Phone Number

City, State, Zip                                 Contact 1 e-mail

Phone Number

Contact 2 Name, Title                      Contact 3 Name, Title

Contact 2 Phone Number                Contact 3 Phone Number

Contact 2 e-mail                              Contact 3 e-mail

So if I were to add something before Newspaper 1, and Contacts 2 and 3 of newspaper 2 spilled over to the next page, I would want inDesign to know that's not okay and make sure the entire entry of Newspaper 2, with its gray box, goes to the next page.  Does anyone know how to achieve this?

• 1. Re: How to Group Text Together as Separate Entries Dependent on Styles for Page-Breaking Purposes
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You have do work with several paragraph styles. For each property in each entry one style. In the property next paragraph style you have to define the next para style. In the keep options you can tell kepp with next and/or keep with previous.

Avoid using manual column/page brakes, define it in the para styles bcause it causes aditional work at the end.

First you have define each para style.

Second you have to define the property next style.

Third you can apply it with selecting several paragraphs and clicking with the right mouse click on the style name and select in the context menu apply this and next styles and remove override.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Group Text Together as Separate Entries Dependent on Styles for Page-Breaking Purposes
            dEaF TO LiGhT Level 1

Thanks, Willi!  I have a few questions about this:

1. Would I be doing the paragraphs like this (with each one having the following style set as the next style)?

*gray box paragraph style with rule below for gray highlight bar*

*title paragraph style* Newspaper 1

*subtitle paragraph style* www.newspaper1.com                            Twitter: @Newspaper1

*description text paragraph style* Newspaper description

Newspaper Name            <tab>              Contact 1 Name, Title                                  *entry body text paragraph style*

Mailing Address              <tab>               Contact 1 Phone Number

City, State, Zip                 <tab>              Contact 1 e-mail

Phone Number                 <tab>              Contact 1 Twitter (optional, sometimes there sometimes not)

Contact 2 Name, Title         <tab>          Contact 3 Name, Title

Contact 2 Phone Number     <tab>          Contact 3 Phone Number

Contact 2 e-mail                   <tab>          Contact 3 e-mail

After *entry body text paragraph style*, would I have to add more?  The amount of information varies per entries.  Some have more contacts than others, some have incomplete information, some don't have descriptions, etc. So the ending varies for each entry.  I usually just skip a few lines and then the start with a new *gray box* paragraph style.

2.  After this, I assume I would have to experiment with keep with nexts options for each style... with the exception of the *entry text*, which would probably be a keep with previous option... does that sound like I am on the right track?

3.  After getting all of that situated, would I have to highlight all the lines of each entry one-by-one  and apply gray box with next styles, remove overrides?  Or is there a way to automate this process or highlight all of them?

Some other things I was wondering:

a. Should I stick with a rule below for the gray box, or would a rule above, or underline/strikethrough method be better?

b. The way the tabs are makes things a pain to edit.  if information in Contact 2 changes, I can't just hit enter without Contact 3 moving to the next lines.  Is this something I will have to live with?  I imagine columns would be a better thing for this, but I'm not sure how it will work with the primary text frame.  I thought maybe the gray box, titles and subtitles could have span rules... not sure if this will complicate things.

c. I was thinking of using a nested style to have a *bold name* character style applied for each contact name through the comma, and then apply regular text, so that I would not have to keep selecting the names   and commas and applying bold name.  But because not every line will have a Bold Name, would this even be possible?

Thanks for all your help!