5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 12:54 PM by tjreth

I forgot my digital certificate password

Buyer Persona Level 1

I read on another post that there is no way to recover the password, and that I need to create a new certificate. But I can't see where I have the option to do that. Please let me know how to delete this certificate or otherwise get this resolved.

Also, I just installed Adobe Acrobat on a new computer. On my old computer I didn't have to enter a password to use my digital certificate. Is there a way to avoid this PW issue when I create the new certificate?

Thanks for any help,

• 1. Re: I forgot my digital certificate password
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of Acrobat are you using?

• 2. Re: I forgot my digital certificate password
            Buyer Persona Level 1

After I posted this question I found the answer. I will post the answer here in case it helps someone else.

I am using Adobe Acrobat XI standard.

I kept clicking around and under Edit/Preferences I was able to find Signatures. In that screen I found Identities and Certificates. I clicked on More and I found the certificate that I already have.  I tried to delete it but couldn't because it wanted the password that I can't recall. So I clicked on Add ID and clicked the button to create a new signature. Then it gave me two options for creating the certificate. The one I chose was to use my Windows ID to authorize the certificate, which means that I don't have to have a password.

After I created the new certificate I made it my default, returned to the document I wanted to sign and it worked, just like before. Victory!

Thanks go to the person on this forum (can't recall the name) who told someone else that the PW cannot be changed and that I needed to create a new certificate. Then I just needed to figure out how to do that.

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: I forgot my digital certificate password
              danielc42210790 Level 1

I struggled a lot to create a new digital ID because of the same reason. The issue is that you can not see the field for password confirmation below password field and so not typing anything there. Basically, password that you write do not match with confirmation password unseen below. After typing password, click tab on your keyboard and retype the password even though you do not see it on screen, and then click OK. 

• 4. Re: I forgot my digital certificate password
                stevie98116 Level 1

Thanks for posting this response, I was going through postings which were no help, but yours worked! You saved me so much time, thanks!

• 5. Re: I forgot my digital certificate password
                  tjreth Level 1

Oh Hallelujah! I'm using Acrobat Pro 9.0. I read your reply and used it to figure out how to make this work for the same situation but in a different version. Bless you for posting it!