1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 9:43 AM by Eina

Word numbered lists do something CS6 cannot

Eina

If you skip a level in a Word list so a Level 1 list item is followed immediately by a Level 3 item (with no Level 2 between them), MS Word auto-numbers correctly. Do the same thing in CS6 and InDesign ignores the number/element that was skipped--creating a list where a paragraph numbered 2.3.1 comes BEFORE a paragraph numbered 2.1.

TO REPRODUCE THE ERROR/BUG:

Check the box for “Restart Numbers at This Level After Any Previous Level” when creating 3 paragraph styles (at Levels 1, 2 and 3 respectively).

Level 1 Number: ^#^t
      Level 2 Number: ^1.^#^t
      Level 3 Number: ^1.^2.^#^t

Style a few paragraphs at successive levels to see the “normal numbering”. Finally, style a Level 1 paragraph followed IMMEDIATELY by a Level 3 paragraph. Here’s what happens in my CS6 (8.0.1) document:

NB: The skipped/missing Level 2 is NOT AN ERROR and I don't dare try manual numbering with TOC and ePub in mind. Numbering in the client's Word file would show (correctly):

Is there a script or workaround to make CS6 do what Word manages effortlessly/automatically? It appears that inDesign list numbering restarts "Only" after the [i.e. one] previous level -- instead of after "Any" previous level.