7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 2:06 AM by JamieCurtis5

Indesign file converted to Word document??

Melissa Fink

Is there a non-buggy way to convert an Indesign file into a word file?

• 1. Re: Indesign file converted to Word document??
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What does non buggy mean?

• 2. Re: Indesign file converted to Word document??
            Doc Maik Level 4

She probably means a way where the result is 1:1.

@Melissa: Strictly speaking, no. If you export a PDF from Indesign, it is 1:1. There are converters from PDF to DOC, with very different results. Try them. Perhaps there is one that can make it 1:1 or at least 99%. What about HTML?

More interesting is the question that automatically comes up: why in the whole wide world would anybody want to do that? Indesign is that far better alternative to Word. Everyone just reading the file can use PDF.

• 3. Re: Indesign file converted to Word document??
              Melissa Fink Level 1

Hello

Doc Maik, your comment did make me laugh. Yes it is insane that anyone would CHOOSE to use word, however a document that was going to be supplied as a pdf has now been asked to be supplied as a word document so that the client can use it as a master for many documents that the they need to send out.

This is why i was hoping that there was a quick conversion method.

I had tried to make a pdf and export it as a word document. The images moved, and the text boxes were cut off. Just has different the word document looks to the original differs from computer to computer (even though some have the same version of word).

Anyway - just thought it was worth asking.

THanks!

• 4. Re: Indesign file converted to Word document??
                JamieStatesman

Hi Melissa, as I have discovered there is very good reason for your question!! I'm trying to create a document template in InDesign that can be used and updated by people in my company who don't have the software.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? (I know it was posted a while ago!)

• 5. Re: Indesign file converted to Word document??
                  MW Design Level 4

Export to PDF/X-4 from ID and use Acrobat to save out a Word DOCX copy. Then fix any issues in Word.

Mike

• 6. Re: Indesign file converted to Word document??
                    Melissa Fink Level 1

Hi Jamie

We ended up just recreating the document in word. This had to be done to create copy that would automatically follow flow on when you deleted certain sections. Hope that makes sense.

• 7. Re: Indesign file converted to Word document??
                      JamieCurtis5

Hi Melissa,

Yes it does, I suppose it depends on the how much the content is going to change for the Word user.

I managed to convert a document template from InDesign >> Adobe Acrobat DC >> Word, maintaining most of the design elements after considerable tweaking.

I filled it with place-holder text with a rough knowledge of how much space the Word user would need. The problem is, even if there is a slight difference in this and the Word user wanted to delete certain sections, like you said, or include an extra paragraph or 2, the ENTIRE document after/before that point would get thrown out of sync and it would look a complete mess