7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 12:41 PM by SJRiegel

Printing problems

zalker

"The card is low resolution and has a file size of only 81kb.  The file size, to be high resolution, needs to be much higher, at least 1mb.  With low resolution, the card

will print with a blurry or grainy appearance"

I have tried to fix this and the printer is still coming back with the same problem. What do I need to do in indesign to get 1MB resolution?

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Printing problems
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's hard to know how to begin - you don't give enough information. But for a start, select the image you have placed on your card, and with it selected open the Info window and see what the effective ppi is listed as. Post that here, along with more information about your card (size, etc), and maybe a screen shot of it. We can start from there.

• 2. Re: Printing problems
            zalker Level 1

businesscrd.jpg

The printer says, "With low resolution, the card will print with a blurry or grainy appearance." I do not understand how to make it a higher resolution, because when I print it, it prints fine. He does refer to the logo "Wedding Belles" coming out blurry. Do I need to change the resolution of every item or just the file itself?

The printer is unfamiliar with the program or any form of design so he can not specify more. That is where I am confused too, he just keeps telling me the resolution needs to be 1MB.

If anyone can help I would be greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance

• 3. Re: Printing problems

Select the image that your printer says is a problem, and with it selected open the Info window and see what the effective ppi is listed as. Come back here with that information, and a more enlarged screen shot of the problem area (with High Resolution Display turned on)

• 4. Re: Printing problems
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

Where did the Wedding Bells image come from?

I suspect you garnered it from their website. Website graphics do not have sufficient resolution for print.

Contact the organization for a suitable image/logo.

• 5. Re: Printing problems
                  zalker Level 1

I created the logo, I have it imported as a jpeg. The image was created in illustrator. The info is telling me

type:jpeg

Actual ppi: 72

Effective ppi: 201

Color Space: RGB

correct logo.jpg

(It looks good here and every other time I post and print, it is just in indesign and according to the printer)

• 6. Re: Printing problems
                    Daniel Flavin Level 4

Place the native ai file.

Within AI, set the Document Raster Effects settings to 300 dpi if you have used effects (transparency, shadows).

• 7. Re: Printing problems

zalker,

that logo saved out as a 72 ppi jpeg looks fine for posting, but for printing, the press will pick up and magnify all the jpg artifacts that you eye ignores.

Here's your image magnified to around 400%

Screen shot 2014-04-16 at 3.35.11 PM.png