2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 6:00 PM by A.T. Romano

AVCHD vs DVD

swope01

Hi,

Pardon me if this question has been asked and answered before.  I have a 30 minute project I would like to export. The raw files that make up the video were captured with two Cannon XH-A1 camcorders which record HD video.  If I export my project (share it) as an AVCHD, then it is crystal clear but is 9gb in size.  Of course that makes it hard to share without dragging my laptop around.  If I export it as anything else, it is not nearly as crisp.  But if I want to market my product, then I want to show it it the highest quality possible.

Is there anyway the standard DVD format can maintain the crisp nature of my HD project?

Is there a setting on premiere elements 11 that will keep the crisp HD properties but allow it to fit to 4.7 gb so it can fit on on a standard DVD in any format. 

Am I doomed to buy an external blu ray burner to keep the HD aspect of my project?

If I do buy an blu-ray burner will adobe premier elements 11 recognize the external hardware?

Any and all thoughts and advice would be welcome.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: AVCHD vs DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVCHD to DVD as HiDef near the bottom of this tutorial list http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830

• 2. Re: AVCHD vs DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

swope01

The DVD format is standarded at 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL whether standard or standard widescreen. Enhancement of the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc produced by these programs might be gained in the TV play back, provided the TV is designed with special technology to enhance the DVD-VIDEO playback.

Premiere Elements will allow you to produce a product which is AVCHD format on a DVD disc. Here the frame size is 1920 x 1080. You do not need a Blu-ray burner for this. You can use a regular DVD burner. The considerations here are that

a. the DVD disc has enough capacity for the HD format

(with "Fit Contents to Available Space" in burn dialog, the Bitrate can be automatically set to make the fit, but the lower the bitrate to make the fit, the lesser can be the quality).

and

b. you find a player for the AVCHD on DVD...typical DVD Player does not play it, most Blu-ray player can, some computer programs can.

The DVD disc labeled 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB; and, the DVD disc labeled 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.95 GB.

There are no guarantees of the program recogizing any given DVD disc or burner (be the burner DVD/CD or Blu-ray/DVD. Most of the time, no problem. But, if that is not the case for you, then it can be a long troubleshooting experience, ending with replacing burners.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. Your real answers will come in the mini test runs with your specific footage in your specific computer environment.

If you plan on selling what you produce, then you should take into consideration what your viewer will need for the play back of AVCHD on DVD and whether the viewer's TV comes with built in feature of DVD-VIDEO enhancement.

Do the mini test runs in order to decide what works or does not work for you.

ATR