1 Reply Latest reply on May 14, 2014 7:09 AM by Fred_Toon

Error opening file for writing - My Digital Editions - welcome.epub

Fred_Toon

When installing Digital Editions 3.0, installation stopped and I received this error:

Error opening file for writing:

\My Digital Editions\welcome.epub

Click Abort to stop the installation,

Retry to try again, or

Ignore to skip this file.

I completely uninstalled the previous version (2.0) before trying to install.  Trying to reinstall 3.0 gives me the same exact error.  A search of the Forums did not turn up a similar issue; I can't believe this is a unique problem.

Windows Vista Enterprise Service Pack 2.

3.00 GB RAM

Two 500 GB hard drives; neither one even 3/4 full.

Thanks.

--Fred

• 1. Re: Error opening file for writing - My Digital Editions - welcome.epub
          Fred_Toon Level 1

I think I found my own solution to this issue.  It seems to be caused by reinstalling Digital Editions after uninstalling an older version.  Before trying to install the package again, I downloaded a fresh copy of the welcome.epub file.  You can find this on the Adobe Digital Editions Home / Download Adobe Digital Editions page under Additional Downloads.  It's disguised, so it reads Download Getting Started with Adobe Digital Editions (EPUB, 55 KB): http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/digital-editions/assets/welcome.e pub.

Create -- if you don't have it already -- a folder under C:\Users\YourUserID\Docs\ (substituting your own User ID for YourUserID, of course) called My Digital Editions.  Copy the welcome.epub file you downloaded into the new folder.  It seems that since I moved My Documents to another drive, Adobe couldn't find its Getting Started book during the installation.

This work-around worked for me; no guarantee it will solve the issue for everyone.

--Fred