2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 9:49 AM by DrDtMM

Audio and video on an imported mp4 file go out of phase

DrDtMM

The video crew tech director delivered me a concert video as two mp4 files (before and after intermission). The first part was brought to the PE10 timeline and is perfect, as expected. The audio and video on the second part, which was brought to the timeline immediately following the first part, separate almost immediately (conversation and discussion of next piece of music), and by the time the music begins, the video (conductor conducting) is 47 seconds and 3 frames behind the audio. How can this be happening. The audio and video are locked together; when I play the mp4 on a media player, it is perfect. Could I have changed a setting that I'm unaware of? Or be misusing PE10 in some way?

Please help.

• 1. Re: Audio and video on an imported mp4 file go out of phase
          A.T. Romano Level 7

DrDtMM

Are you playing back rendered or unrendered Timeline video linked to its audio content?

What happens if you start a new project and bring in the 2nd video/audio first and then the 1st? Which has audio out of sync?

Are both files from the same camera with the same settings/microphones?

Did we go over this before....what are the properties (video and audio) of these .mp4 files and how are you importing them into the project?

Are you or the project setting the project preset to match the properties of your source media?

I will try to check out your prior post(s) for these details, but better if you can recap for me. I will let you know if I find these details in other of your posts.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio and video on an imported mp4 file go out of phase
            DrDtMM Level 1

This video source was created from four cameras switched in real time. The audio feed came from a mix of two pairs of overhead stereo microphones at two different distances from the front of the stage. The output from the switch came to me as two mp4 files, one for each part of the concert.

I thought that by creating a new video, inserting the seconc half of the concert first, might reveal the problem as you suggested. Unfortunately, the problem still existed. So I rendered the video to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't.

As far as I know the audio and video properties of the mp4 files corresponding to the two parts of the concert (before and after intermission) should be the same because I don't recall doing anything to change them. However, if they were the same, I wouldn't be having this problem. I believe that that the project settings were taken from the source media because I don't recall setting anything.

This is extremely frustrating. We have been making four-camera videos of our concerts since October, 2008, and have never had anything like this happen before. It is most likely the result of my insufficient familiarity with PE10. As I indicated in an earlier post, I only use it twice a year.

Daniel S. Diamond, PhD

Senior Percussionist, The Concord Band

Executive Producer

Concord Band Performance Videos