9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 7:44 PM by oh2bstampin

Problems uploading mpg files

oh2bstampin

I recently purchased Photoshop Premiere and only the audio portion of the mpg files are uploading.  How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

oh2bstampin

There is Photoshop Elements (photo editor) and Premiere Elements (video editor). From the nature of your question I am assuming you have Premiere Elements. What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

The answers will be in the details.

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that is recording this video where the video portion is not importing into Premiere Elements.

We need to know the properties of what you are trying to import, such as

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Hopefully we can deduce that from the camera's video specs information if you do not know. Otherwise, we may have to go to properties readout programs such as MediaInfo and/or the utility gspot.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

There are some video compressions and or wrapper combinations that are problematic for Premiere Elements, such as

AVCHD.avi

MotionJPEG.avi

Xvid.avi

to name a few

Then there is the matter of your video card/graphics card

If you have Premiere Elements 10 and your computer uses a NVIDIA video card, the video card driver may have to be rolled back to get Premiere Elements 10 to work for you. If that is the case, please see Announcement about that at the top of this forum.

Then you could have a situation with another version, where the video card driver needs to be updated. Or, you can have a situation where the computer uses 2 video cards and Premiere Elements does not support that two video card setup. You see what I mean by the answers are in the details?

We are eager for you to move forward with your Premiere Elements projects and look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
            oh2bstampin Level 1

I just purchased the Premiere Elements 12 and am running it in Windows 8.1.  

I uploaded video and photos from two different cameras with the same result from both...one is a Sony HDR-CX130 Handycam and my other camera is a Canon Power Shot SX130 IS.  The file extension is .mpg.  If this is not enough info to solve the issue, I may have to look for the manuals.

When I read info about the Premiere Elements 12 BEFORE PURCHASING, I read that the software was compatible with the .mpg format so I'm hoping this is true and that I haven't wasted my money on software that I can't use.  

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MPG is a wrapper... what is inside YOUR wrapper?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Also, uploading is what you do from your computer to an Internet site... importing is what you do with video files (so other people understand)

A glossary of video terms - http://www.manifest-tech.com/links/video_terms.htm

• 4. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

oh2bstampin

I did some homework on your camera specs. In evaluating a camera's video for your video editor, you need to look beyond the wrapper format which is reflected in the file extension. The video compression and audio compression with the wrapper format go a long way to determining the file compatibility with a video editor, not just Premiere Elements.

Important: Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12? Must do, if you have not already.

Sony HDR-CX130

You can be recording either

1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second. That would have AVCHD (MPEG2 AVC/H.264) video compression and probably a .mts file extension (wrapper format). You should be able to import that into Premiere Elements 12 Windows 8.1 64 bit.

or Standard Definition (not sure if 640 x 480 or 720 x 480). That is the one with the MPEG2 video compression with the .mpg file extension wrapper.  Windows 8 and 8.1 operating systems may have MPEG2 player problems, but...We could explore that angle. But that is a Windows not Premiere Elements issue.

Have you tried recording AVCHD with your Sony?

Canon SX130 IS

You could be recording from 1280 x 720 downward with frame rates from 30 to 3 frames per second (I would steer clear of the 3 frames per second), but the video compression and file extension give the impression of being compatible with Premiere Elements 12, that is, H.264.mov. Here the file extension/wrapper for the compression is .mov.

My first guess is that you do not have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer. You might not be set for Run As Administrator and from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. You may not have the correct project settings. The QuickTIme involvement is the most sound.

If that is not it, then we need to go into how you are setting up these Premiere Elements projects - you letting the program do the project settings and you manually setting what you know to be the correct project setting specific to your video. Tomorrow I will do some MPEG2.mpg testing with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit and let you know the results.

Have you updated Premiere Elements 12 to 12.1 yet?

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe12-update-121-released.html

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
                  oh2bstampin Level 1

I am new to using the Adobe Community Forum and couldn't figure out how to reply to your post so I'm emailing you what I know.

I do have the latest version of Quick Time installed as well as the recent update to Premiere Elements 12.

I was not recording in AVCHD but rather in Standard Mode.  I will try that today as see if it makes a difference. 

I did download the handbook for the Sony but I didn't see any of the information you were looking for in the first reply...frame size, frame rate, etc...and couldn't find the information by right clicking on the imported items.  Also tried to find it in the settings of my camera but I either don't really know how to find it or it isn't there.

I do have Premiere Elements 12 and also have the NVIDIA video card.  The computer was just purchased about 6 to 8 months ago so I'm thinking the driver shouldn't need to be updated.

Appreciating your help on this. I am not educated on wrappers, etc. so I'm hoping I can follow along with you enough to get this figured out.

I did some homework on your camera specs. In evaluating a camera's video for your video editor, you need to look beyond the wrapper format which is reflected in the file extension. The video compression and audio compression with the wrapper format go a long way to determining the file compatibility with a video editor, not just Premiere Elements.

Important: Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12? Must do, if you have not already.

Sony HDR-CX130

You can be recording either

1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second. That would have AVCHD (MPEG2 AVC/H.264) video compression and probably a .mts file extension (wrapper format). You should be able to import that into Premiere Elements 12 Windows 8.1 64 bit.

or Standard Definition (not sure if 640 x 480 or 720 x 480). That is the one with the MPEG2 video compression with the .mpg file extension wrapper.  Windows 8 and 8.1 operating systems may have MPEG2 player problems, but...We could explore that angle. But that is a Windows not Premiere Elements issue.

Have you tried recording AVCHD with your Sony?

Canon SX130 IS

You could be recording from 1280 x 720 downward with frame rates from 30 to 3 frames per second (I would steer clear of the 3 frames per second), but the video compression and file extension give the impression of being compatible with Premiere Elements 12, that is, H.264.mov. Here the file extension/wrapper for the compression is .mov.

My first guess is that you do not have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer. You might not be set for Run As Administrator and from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. You may not have the correct project settings. The QuickTIme involvement is the most sound.

If that is not it, then we need to go into how you are setting up these Premiere Elements projects - you letting the program do the project settings and you manually setting what you know to be the correct project setting specific to your video. Tomorrow I will do some MPEG2.mpg testing with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit and let you know the results.

Have you updated Premiere Elements 12 to 12.1 yet?

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe12-update-121-released.html

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

• 6. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

oh2bstampin

Thanks for the reply.

Here is one of the links that I used to compile my Sony HDR-CX130 specifications.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748412-REG/Sony_HDR_CX130_B_HDR_CX130_HD_Flash_Memor y.html

If the AVCHD file from that camera works for you in Premiere Elements, that would point to Windows 8 and 8.1 handling of MPEG2 video compression. I will see if I can find a sample MPEG2.mpg from that camera. If all else fails, I will create one to use in Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
                      oh2bstampin Level 1

OMG...doing the happy dance!  Recording in AVCHD worked!! Whew...I wasn't looking forward to jumping through hoops to get this thing working.  Thanks for all your time and help.  I'm not sure how to give you the points for helping me.

If you can tell me how to do that, I'll be sure to follow up.

• 8. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

oh2bstampin

Great great great news. The issue must be the MPEG2 in the Windows 8 and 8.1 64 bit system. I still have not gotten to my Windows 8.1 64 bit with Premiere Elements 11 and 12 and a MPEG2.mpg file. I will do testing on that and report on that soon.

As for points, my reward is in knowing that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects. Some insist it is helpful to mark a thread Answered (Correct) and/or Helpful as an aid for those browsing for answers. So, if you want to mark the thread for that purpose, that  would be OK with me. There should be Answered (Correct) button or a Helpful button to press next to or at the bottom of whatever correct/helpful message that I posted in the thread.

Setting the project preset is an important part of assuring success with the project. In that regard, please review and consider the following. We can discuss that further - import, editing, and export.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Many thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...I will let you know the outcome of my tests with MPEG2.mpg in Windows 8.1 64 bit.

• 9. Re: Problems uploading mpg files
                          oh2bstampin Level 1

I think I may have solved the problem.  Thank you for your information.