3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2007 12:36 PM by Newsgroup_User

Is Edit > Libraries missing in FW CS3?

dhogue94
      In the Edit menu of FW 8 and earlier there was an option for Libraries (Edit > Libraries), but that function seems to be missing in FW CS3, and I can't seem to find it in a new menu / toolbar location.

I had some library extensions from FW 7 and 8 that I used the extension manager to add to FW CS3, it said it added them, and they appeared in the extension list, but I cannot find where it installed the actual library files. When I go looking around in the FW CS3 program files and in the personalized "documents and settings" files, I find Libraries folders:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3\Configuration\Libraries
      C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS3\Libraries

However, my libraries that I installed as extensions (.MXP) appear no where that I can find them. When I go to the Assets > Library panel and select "Import" it doesn't even point to the default directory of the pre-installed libraries, and there *are* libraries that come with FW CS3.

So, my questions:

(1) What happened to Edit > Libraries?

(2) What is the new way to open and access libraries? Is it just using "Import" via the Assets > Library panel?

(3) Why doesn't FW CS3 seem to know that it comes with pre-installed libraries and where they are located?

(4) Where are the library files placed when I install a library using the Extension Manager?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Is Edit > Libraries missing in FW CS3?
          Level 7
          With the addition of the Common Library feature, the Library function
          from the edit menu has been removed.

You can import old libraries via the Library Panel->Import Symbol
          command. It's not a perfect or elegant solution, but it's the only one
          out there for the time being.

In answer to questions three and four, check the Common Library panel
          and see if the pre-installed assets are there and if your assets
          installed via the extension manager are there.

I'd also recommend reading up on the Common Library panel, as it behaves
          differently that the library panel does.

HTH

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

dhogue94 wrote:
          > In the Edit menu of FW 8 and earlier there was an option for Libraries (Edit >
          > Libraries), but that function seems to be missing in FW CS3, and I can't seem
          > to find it in a new menu / toolbar location.
          >
          > I had some library extensions from FW 7 and 8 that I used the extension
          > manager to add to FW CS3, it said it added them, and they appeared in the
          > extension list, but I cannot find where it installed the actual library files.
          > When I go looking around in the FW CS3 program files and in the personalized
          > "documents and settings" files, I find Libraries folders:
          >
          > C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3\Configuration\Libraries
          > C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks
          > CS3\Libraries
          >
          > However, my libraries that I installed as extensions (.MXP) appear no where
          > that I can find them. When I go to the Assets > Library panel and select
          > "Import" it doesn't even point to the default directory of the pre-installed
          > libraries, and there *are* libraries that come with FW CS3.
          >
          > So, my questions:
          >
          > (1) What happened to Edit > Libraries?
          >
          > (2) What is the new way to open and access libraries? Is it just using
          > "Import" via the Assets > Library panel?
          >
          > (3) Why doesn't FW CS3 seem to know that it comes with pre-installed libraries
          > and where they are located?
          >
          > (4) Where are the library files placed when I install a library using the
          > Extension Manager?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Is Edit > Libraries missing in FW CS3?
            dhogue94 Level 1
            Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been learning about the new Common Library, how it works, and how to create Rich Symbols - so far so good. It was just the old symbol libraries that I wanted to transfer.

I did look in the Common Library folders to see if the installed libraries were there, and no, they are not.

One of the big differences between the old libraries and the new common library is how the symbols are stored: In the common library, there is a folder with individual PNGs, but in the old symbol library, there is a single PNG file with each symbol on a separate layer.

The common library does not seem to be able to use a symbol library in the form of a layered PNG - it just treats it as one very complicated symbol with no corresponding JSF file (therefore it's not a rich symbol - just a messy one.)

I have no idea where the extension manager thinks it installed my libraries - I cannot find the files at all. It seems to indicate that the libraries were installed for CS3, but perhaps it got confused and simply re-installed them in my old FW installation, because they are still there, then told me it installed them for CS3...

I guess the answer to the remaining question (#3) is just vestigial - they removed Edit > Libraries and did not update the Assets > Library panel import function to point to the default libraries directory created and populated on installation. The Libraries are still installed exactly the same way since at least MX 2004, but now the CS3 program doesn't know where they are or what to do with them... Growing pains, I hope.

Thanks again,

Dave
            • 3. Re: Is Edit > Libraries missing in FW CS3?
              Level 7
              Hi Dave:

My recommendation is to hit the Adobe wish list form and report the
              problem. Chances are excellent you are not alone.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

dhogue94 wrote:
              > Jim,
              >
              > Thanks for the quick reply.
              >
              > I've been learning about the new Common Library, how it works, and how to
              > create Rich Symbols - so far so good. It was just the old symbol libraries
              > that I wanted to transfer.
              >
              > I did look in the Common Library folders to see if the installed libraries
              > were there, and no, they are not.
              >
              > One of the big differences between the old libraries and the new common
              > library is how the symbols are stored: In the common library, there is a folder
              > with individual PNGs, but in the old symbol library, there is a single PNG file
              > with each symbol on a separate layer.
              >
              > The common library does not seem to be able to use a symbol library in the
              > form of a layered PNG - it just treats it as one very complicated symbol with
              > no corresponding JSF file (therefore it's not a rich symbol - just a messy one.)
              >
              > I have no idea where the extension manager thinks it installed my libraries -
              > I cannot find the files at all. It seems to indicate that the libraries were
              > installed for CS3, but perhaps it got confused and simply re-installed them in
              > my old FW installation, because they are still there, then told me it installed
              > them for CS3...
              >
              > I guess the answer to the remaining question (#3) is just vestigial - they
              > removed Edit > Libraries and did not update the Assets > Library panel import
              > function to point to the default libraries directory created and populated on
              > installation. The Libraries are still installed exactly the same way since at
              > least MX 2004, but now the CS3 program doesn't know where they are or what to
              > do with them... Growing pains, I hope.
              >
              > Thanks again,
              >
              > Dave
              >
              >