12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 7:14 PM by A.T. Romano

Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0

rajibpal Level 1

Hi, I am using premiere elements 8.0.  When I get media, some of my video clips get automatically rotated by 90 degrees, even though they videos were shot properly horizontally.  How do I get this automatic rotation to stop?

• 1. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you working in Premiere Elements or the Elements Organizer?

The Organizer will sometimes auto-rotate media -- but Premiere Elements will not.

If you're seeing it in Premiere Elements, please describe the specific situation in which this is happening.

• 2. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
            rajibpal Level 1

Hi, I am in premiere elements 8.0.  What I am trying to do is string together a bunch of video files from various sources into a single movie.  So I start a new project, and then I use "get media" to get my video files.  A few of them come in rotated when they should not be.  I think I have narrowed the problem down to the fact that these videos are .MOV files shot on an iphone, and apparently the iphone turned on the "rotate 90 degrees" metadata field, so Adobe is reading that field and automatically rotating the video.  Do you know how I can get Adobe to stop reading that field, or how I can delete that field from the .MOV file.  Not sure why the iphone did this to these couple files, b/c other MOV files I have from the same iphone do not have this "rotate 90 degrees" metadata turned on.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
              nealeh Level 5

You can rotate the clips back to your preferred orientation  - right-click and select rotate.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                rajibpal Level 1

Hi, I do not see a rotate option when I right click.  I found a way to rotate under the "motion" menu, but when I do that, the rotated video no longer takes up the full screen; rather, it is shrunk.  I can use the scale feature to scale back up, but I suspect I am losing quality.  What I would like to do is to just have the original video imported as is, like most of my other video clips are doing, so I don't lose any quality.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements will not automatically rotate your video or photos. It plays them as they are.

I'm also a little surprised Premiere Elements 8 can even work with iPhone video. It's really a pretty primitive version of the program, as far as MP4s, MTSs and MOVs are concerned. So you could also just be seeing some buggy behavior with these  video files.

For editing iPhone video -- or mixing video from from a variety of sources -- I'd highly recommend upgrading to version 11 or 12 of the program. These versions are much more versatile and designed to operate more stably with H.264 video. In fact, Premiere Elements 8 is likely to give you some pretty iffy results if you haven't probably set up your project or you're mixing video from more than one camcorder. Versions 11 and 12 can mix videos from several sources with usually very good results.

• 6. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

rajibpal

I cannot confirm the report of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 being "buggy" with .mov files or files from cell phone or cell phone like devices. I find it performs on a par with version 12 and others when set up according to certain guidelines. I see no need for you to upgrade to later version unless the later version has a feature that Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 does not.

1. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of Premiere Elements 8?

2. Are you running the program with the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off?

3. Do you have Edit Menu/Preferences/General GPU Playback set for enabled or disabled according to your video card?

There are other generalized Premiere Elements guidelines that I could go into, but I will leave the list as is for now.

As for this photo rotation matter....I have an iPod Touch 4th generation which records 720p video with a variable frame rate up to 30 frames per second. I have no problems importing or editing or exporting those files using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. I always record from the camera held in the horizontal position. The thumbnails that appear in Windows have the landscape orientation. And, those files imported from the hard drive appear in Premiere Elements in the landscape orientation.

When you have your file on the TImeline and want to correct its orientation, have you right click the video there and selected Rotate 90 Left or Rotate 90 Right?

ROTATE.jpg

You should not be losing any quality by rotating a Timeline clip.

If you opt to rotate the clip using Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Rotation option there, take care to not accidentally adjust the Scale property that is also in that area. If you go this route to Rotate, then selected the clip on the Timeline, go to Properties Palette, and the Motion Panel, expand the Motion Panel, and then adjust only the Rotation feature

a. typing in -90 degrees or +90 degrees as indicated

or

b. moving the mouse cursor over the field to move the values to the left or right

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                      rajibpal Level 1

Hi, thanks, that is actually quite helpful.  I see the rotate button now when I right-click in the timeline.  But the trouble is, when I rotate the video, it does not fill up the whole screen.  So here is the situation.  I have a number of video clips shot on an iphone in landscape mode.  Most of them import just fine.  But a few of them import rotated into a portrait video when they should not.  This seems to be because the iphone incorrectly placed a "rotation=90" into the metadata.  The video was shot in landscape mode, so the iphone should not have done this, but it did.  And Premiere is reading that metadata and automatically rotating the video.  When I then rotate it back within premiere, instead of filling up the whole screen like all my other videos that import properly in landcape mode, these videos no longer fill up the whole screen unless I scale it up, which I suspect results in a loss in quality.

So the question is, can I get Adobe to ignore the "rotation=90" metadata in these files, or can I somehow remove that metadata?  So far I have searched online and not found a way to do this.

I am using premiere elements 8.0 I believe.  And I agree, I do not need an upgrade, b/c what I am trying to do is quite simple.  I just want to string together several video clips of my kids into a single video - nothing fancy.

Thanks for any other help you can provide.

• 8. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

rajibpal

I am not much into cell phone metadata. So, a lot of the following is based on what I have read.

I came across the following online article on cell phone camera metadata and thought that you might be interested in it.

http://blog.chillantro.com/appsperience/2012/08/02/understanding-cameraiphone-orientation- tag-why-is-your-photo-turned-upside-down-you-already-rotated-it-in-your-photo-viewer-but-i ts-even-worse-now/

Have you seen that one before?

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                          rajibpal Level 1

Thanks for that response.  That certainly seems to be the issue - i.e., a problem with the exif data.  I had not seen that before.  Now I just need to figure out how to change the problematic value!

• 10. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rajibpal

Please update us on your progress taking the direct approach to the exif data to try to correct your cell phone video/photo orientation.

But, consider, rotation in the video editor might be the easy way, maybe with the following

1. For those that you need to rotate and that end up with black borders

a. put these videos on Video 2 and a creative background of your choosing on Video 1 so that the Video 1 creative background show in the area of the black borders.

b. creative background could be a color matte or a frame type effect or other

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                              rajibpal Level 1

I actually never figured out how to edit the exif data, but figured out a work-around by converting the problem videos to MP4s using windows movie maker, and then importing into Premiere.

• 12. Re: Auto-rotate video when getting media in premiere elements 8.0
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

rajibpal

Thanks for the follow up on what worked for you. Great job.

ATR