6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 6:17 AM by lornaimw

Shape 3d rotation / anchor point

lornaimw Level 1

I'd like to recreate this kind of rotation on shape layers as they have in these transitions.

http://www.sprinklelab.com/our-work/everyme/

I've started off with a square and a centred anchor point, and with the Y axis starting at 75 degrees moving down to zero I can get a similar effect, but obviously hasn't got the same dynamic look as in the video. It's almost as if they have two anchors, or a diagonal anchor? I know these things sound ridiculous but I can't get my head around it.

How would one go about creating this type of rotation? I don't have my mathematical/ geometric brain on today.

Thanks all!

• 1. Re: Shape 3d rotation / anchor point
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Card Dance? Have you seen any tutorials on Card Dance?

How about animating orientation. From the look this part of the transition I can see that the point of rotation, the anchor point, is exactly in the middle of the square. Try setting a keyframe for orientation, moving down the timeline a few frames, selecting the rotate tool (keyboard shortcut w) and placing the cursor in the upper left corner of the layer and drag toward the lower right corner of the layer. When you get close to a full flip hold down the shift key to snap the layer into position.

One more thing, make sure the Rotation tool is set to Orientation.

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 8.16.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 8.27.38 AM.png

• 2. Re: Shape 3d rotation / anchor point
            lornaimw Level 1

Hi Rick

Appreciate the reply. I have seen a few tuts on that, used in a more exiting way than just flipping them over like this but it could work if I wanted to change an entire clip!

At the moment just trying to animate only shapes to do this (creating a metro UI look)

Sounds like a great plan. I think I actually had my layer precomped wrong to start of with anyway which wasnt helping, but it looks like you've got it spot on.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Shape 3d rotation / anchor point
              lornaimw Level 1

Hi Rick

Another question now that I've looked into this further, and seen this write up and looked at other tuts. http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/simulation-effects.html#card_dance_effect

I can't seem to find any real info on how to achieve the look discussed above. I've now got the square to move in the desired way thanks to your help, but whatever I try I can't get this to be the control or 'gradient layer'

I don't want a big pop out flying mosaic effect like a lot of the tuts go for. Just a simple flip.

Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Shape 3d rotation / anchor point
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're looking for a simple flip, you might try Card Wipe instead.

• 5. Re: Shape 3d rotation / anchor point
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An animated Gradient at a 45º angle will make card dance do what you want to do. Try this project and play with the settings and the rotation order.

• 6. Re: Shape 3d rotation / anchor point
                    lornaimw Level 1

Thanks for the help guys. I have taken the proj and played around with it, not much success so far, it nearly is where I want it but 1 Can't seem to set the 'back' and 2 it doesn't stay anchored at those points as in the example

Card wipe would be exactly what I need if it would work for this 3D style of rotating the orientation. In what I created some are just, floating? But I just cant figure out how to get all the cards to simultaneously change ( but still staggered/ one starts a slight bit before the next) and have a centred rotation so that the boxes just flip orientation, and don't come away from eachother.

This is the best I can do, is it possible and I'm just a bit rubbish at using this effect? No matter what I change I don't seem to be able to get a better result.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to explore this with me.