9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 8:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Recording Narration

Orion4444

When I try to record narration, I get a message that says "Cannot record because one of the record-enabled tracks is locked in the timeline" Please help.

Dave

• 1. Re: Recording Narration
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What version of the program are you using and on what operating system?

Do you have any audio at all on the Narration track?

• 2. Re: Recording Narration
            Orion4444 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I am using Premeire Elements 11 on an i Mac with OS X 10.9.2 .

There is one clip in the Narration Track, however I am unable to move it - its like its frozen there - not able to click, double click or anything to move it in any way.

Dave

• 3. Re: Recording Narration
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Orion4444

Try switching to the Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 11, try moving the narration there, or in the end deleting it but in the Quick workspace. Can you then go back to the Expert workspace and then reimport the audio?

ATR

• 4. Re: Recording Narration
                Orion4444 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, ATR. 

I did go into Quick workspace but was still unable to remove the clip. The 'cut' and 'copy' options are greyed out. I also tried deleting the clip from the Assets panel - it got removed from theat panel but the clip is still in the Narration track. When I click on it and move the cursor it forms a box like in a word program.

Any other suggestions - I just want to remove the track, I can't even lower the volume so that it won't ruin my project. Other wise I will need to re-do the whole project - I have a about 200 photos - its alot of work. 

Any suggestions much apprecited.

Dave

• 5. Re: Recording Narration
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Have you confirmed that the issue is confined to this one project? As a mini test run, can you open a new project and move along in it with the issue?

If you have not already, try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

I am almost certain that with Premiere Elements 11 Mac the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file should be found

Users/User Name/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0 Folder

Also is this an Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor from the Mac App Store or a Premiere Elements 11 Mac from Adobe. Lots of problems with the Mac App Store offering which is now discontinued.

More later.

Thanks for looking at the suggestions.

ATR

• 6. Re: Recording Narration
                    Orion4444 Level 1

The problem seems to be specific to this project - not sure what I did to lock the clips in the narration track - looks like I'll have to abandon the project and start over. And I'm not able to find the prefs file.

Dave

• 7. Re: Recording Narration
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

There are numerous reports about Premiere Elements locked narration track. Some get resolve only by starting a new project. Some have reported maneuvers that seem to work for them, such as, the Quick workspace detours.

SG works with Premiere Elements Mac so perhaps he can give you help with locating that prefs file on Mac. I am going on what I have read. In Windows, the user has to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active in order see see the path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Is there a Mac counterpart for that Windows Folder Option?

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Recording Narration
                        Orion4444 Level 1

I have found success!!!  I managed to get the 'copy' and 'cut' functions to be not greyed out, in the Quick workspace, by just noodling around,  and  then deleted the offending clips. 

Going forward I think I will record my narration pieces seperetely (probably on GarageBand) and import the Mp3's - seems like a more sure way to proceed.

Thanks for your all your help!!

Dave

• 9. Re: Recording Narration
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Magnificient news. That Quick workspace was my recollection for the place to make the recovery manuevers, if possible.

Great, great job. Those locked narration problems are the most challenging of all the troubleshooting issues.

We are very impressed with your progress.

Best wishes

ATR