17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 7:32 PM by A.T. Romano

PE11 is burning blurry video and stills

ludlowkissel

Have rendered several times with no change. Timeline is green in some areas and blank - no color - in many other areas where editing has occurred.  I saw other Adobe online advice for the same problem and tried to apply them but they dont seem to work.

PLEASE HELP!!  Thank you.

• 1. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What are you editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Your title says BURNING... are you creating a DVD or BluRay?

• 2. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

What is your end product burn to

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

AVCHD on DVD disc

or

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

If this is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, then we need to separate expectations from actual steps in the Premiere Elements workflow that can be improved upon to give you the best possible end product for that particular format.

What are the properties of the source media going into the project...

a. photos, pixel dimensions and how manu

b. videos, what format and duration

c. other

Who is setting the project preset...you (manually) or the program.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Let us start here and then we can go into what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
              ludlowkissel Level 1

Mr. Smith,

Sorry I did not include this information on my first distress call.  Please bear with me, I am not a PC tech heavyweight. I have heard many of the terms you are using but not very familiar with how to get this information. i have no idea where to find information on CODECs. Here are some answers to your questions:

- Premiere Elements version 11.0 Education version

- Windows 7 (not sure where to find the minor version number in Windows 7)

- Yes

- No recent programs added or updates

- Videos are all MPEG but have different resolutions (1440 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080). Four video cameras were used - Samsung HMX-Q10BN/XAA (1920 x 1080) and three others but I will need to gather that info later.  Stills were a variety of cameras, i will need to get that info later, too.

- No error messages

- There was really no occurrence or error message, I burned a preliminary DVD for the end user and I saw the blurriness and was concerned (this is not a commercial project, it is an Eagle Scout project)

- MS Office 2007, Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6300.803. This is my wife's computer and she does not like adding additional software-this is pretty much how it came out of the box, except for MS Office, Symantec and PE11.

- Dell XPS, Intel i7 processor, 906 GB total space, 791 GB free. Don't know where to look up RAM, but this computer is less than a year old

- This is our first attepmt using this software

- We are editing still photos and video with two audio tracks and text boxes that describe objects in the still photos. My son and his pal were doing the editing from the beginning, I have kept my hands off till it got blurry. They likely went with the setup that the program dictated when they started.  I dont know how to look up CODEC information.

- I cannot find a Quiktime icon, I dont think it is installed

- Creating a DVD...when i burned a DVD as a preview for the end user, i saw the blurriness and was concerned (this is not a commercial project, it is an Eagle Scout project)

When I first started to work on creating a preliminary copy, I did not render, I just burned a DVD. The first copy was blurry, then I saved a separate rendered file, that turned out blurry, too, but the rendered file did have some portions of green in the timeline and some portions blank.  I was going to attach a screen shot to this reply for you to view, but none of the saved files have any green in the timeline. Dont know how this happened!  the timelines now have only orange and blank

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

screen capture.png

• 4. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I dont know how to look up CODEC information

Go back to my reply #1 and start clicking links and reading below "What are you editing?"

>Stills were a variety of cameras

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 5. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

Where are you seeing this blurriness - in the video or in the stills that you are using? Are the end products all DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (standard widescreen 16:9).

Project settings could be at the bottom of all this.

From what you have written so far, I am guessing that you video sources are

1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (Upper Field First)

and

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (Upper Field First)

If these are heading for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (Lower Field First), you should start by determining if your project is set up optimumly.

Preject preset...Look at

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder

Full HD 1080i30

Set that project preset manually

At this point, I want to have you determine if what you are calling blurriness is really a interlaced problem.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                    ludlowkissel Level 1

Mr. ATR,

Blurriness is in video and stills.  End products are all DVD video.

I am using PrE 11 and I dont see any "Project Preset" selection on any dropdown menu or list, or any other function or selection that has the choices you have described for project presets.

You are correct on the video sources setup for resolution and FPS.

Please tell me where to find Project Preset button in PrE 11!

thank you very much!

• 7. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

When you open a version 11 or 12 new project, the program takes over and automatically sets the project preset based on the properties of the first video dragged to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. When not, then the manual project preset setting by you.

Expert workspace

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

Change Settings Area/set project preset to match the properties of your prime source media

Before exiting the area, make sure to have a check mark next to the new project dialog option "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Then back in the Expert workspace, import your files with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your file to the Timeline.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

You might want to set the project preset to match the videos and then size the photos to the 1920 x 1080 16:9 sizing. Then take that Timeline to the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. We can fine tune the details.

But, you should not be getting 1 min from 6 minutes total duration be it save a file or burn to disc.

Let us see what this Error Compiling Movie error is all about. We will be watching for your results from Adobe document.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                        ludlowkissel Level 1

Mr. ATR,

When I go into File/New/Project, I don't have an option to change settings. The window that pops up says, "Save changes to (file name) before closing?" and the choices are Yes, No, or Cancel. No option to change settings. Please be informed that no updates have been installed on this version of 11.

Also, all of the video files have already been imported and edited.  Would i need to import them again?

Finally, I am not seeing an Error Compiling Movie warning, is this what your last sentence is referring to?

thank you.

• 9. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

You are on the right path, just not going far enough.

1. Open a new project to Expert workspace. Then File Menu/New/Project

(if you opened the program directly to a new project to get here, then you should see the following after you clicked on Project)

Step1.JPG

Now if you were in an existing project and then decided you wanted to start a new project, after you hit Project in the route File Menu/New/Project, then you would see

Step2.JPG

The program needs to know how to proceed...save the project you are in or not. Once you say Yes or No to that, the fate of the project you were in is sealed - saved or not saved. Then you will see

Step3.JPG

and go about setting the project preset after you hit the "Change Settings" tab in that new project dialog that is presenting.

Once you hit Change Settings Tab, you should see

Step4.JPG

With each new project, you import media for it. Each new project has but one project preset that should match the properties of your source media that are eventually dragged to the Timeline.

You asked

Finally, I am not seeing an Error Compiling Movie warning, is this what your last sentence is referring to?

That was good news - no Error Compiling Movie message. But, I cannot find where I thought I saw your comment about having a Error Compiling Movie. Strange. So, please excuse.

Please review the above and then please let me know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                            ludlowkissel Level 1

Mr. ATR,

Working on this now...a few questions:

I have fifteen photos that are quite big, 3872 x 2592. Another person advised that I reduce the photo size.  Can excessive photo size be part of the blurriness problem?

Also, of the four cameras used for video, one was shooting at 1440 x 1080 and the other three were at 1920 x 1080. is this an issue?

Should I update my program before moving ahead?

My timeline shows an orange line above it in some areas and is blank in many others, what does this mean?

Thank you for your help!!

• 11. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

The typical not to exceed pixel dimensions

for SD, 1000 x 750 pixels (4:3)

for HD, 2200 x 1238 pixels (16:9)

If the computer resources are not able to keep up with the demands of photos oversized for the project, then all sorts of workflow issues can result. The greater the computer resources existing and available to the program, the more one can stretch the "not to exceed" suggestions.

Both 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 and 1920 x 1080 16:9 end up giving display values of 1920 x 1080.

I would go with the project preset targeted for 1920 x 1080 16:9, determine its stablility in the program and then import the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. Either project preset should provide the correct 1920 x 1080 space in the Edit area monitor for editing.

When you get to export, go with the 1920 x 1080 16:9 presets which does not depend on a 16:9 flag stretching 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

There is no update for Premiere Elements 11. When you mention update my program what do you mean by that? For 11, you should be dealing with only Camera Raw Updates which allow you to import raw image format and dng images into a project.

The color indicator render line over Timeline content is the program's way of indicating whether you are getting the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor. It is a preview matter. Everytime you edit a clip, you will get the indicator message to render. You do not have to render the Timeline content but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It is particularly useful for transitions, effects, titles, and non native formats.

We will be watching for further developments in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 12. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                                ludlowkissel Level 1

Mr. ATR,

I reduced the size of very large photos to 720 x 480, and left the other photos as is-they are smaller that 720 x 480.  photos and video are still blurry on the DVD burn.  I am burning to DVD but AVCHD is another chioce, should I be using this?

I have not made any adjustments to the preset. Since all photos and videos are already in place in the file, I don't think that any changes to preset are possible.

What else can you suggest?

Thank you for your time and assistance!

• 13. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

I would like you to do a mini test run on the following...

a. Open a new project to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In the Change Settings dialog, change the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Before exiting that area, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting On This Project".

b. When you are back in the Premiere Elements workspace, import 15 stills (3872 x 2592 pixels) into the project. Render the Timeline content.

c. Burn that Timeline to NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Then let us look at the quality of those images as compared to what you were getting before this mini test run. Better, same, or worse. For now, I am assuming that you have enough computer resources to handle those 15 stills which will be resized automatically by the program to 1920 x 1080 in the Edit Area and then to 720 x 480 16:9 in the burn to.

If you have a computer or Blu-ray player to support AVCHD DVD, then we can talk about the AVCHD DVD choice. You do not need a Blu-ray burner to produced it. A regular DVD burner will do that job. Finding a player for it is the task.

The AVCHD DVD can be 1920 x 1080 instead of the 720 x 480 16:9 of DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

More in the morning.

ATR

• 14. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                                    ludlowkissel Level 1

Mr. ATR,

All went as planned, burned file looks much better on a DVD player than the others.  The computer I have is a Dell XPS with an i7 processor and a 906 GB hard drive so it should be capable of a lot.

Please let me know our next step, even if it involves dis-assembling the old problematic file and moving everything to a new file that is properly set up from the beginning.

Thank you!!

• 15. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ludowkissel

Thanks for the reply and the good news that matters are looking better in the troubleshooting.

In the morning I will post a suggest plan of action for your project.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 16. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

Sorry for the delay. I could not find your thread, lost sight of it. I will try to get next step posted soon.

ATR

• 17. Re: PE11 is burning blurry video and stills
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ludlowkissel

This is the current plan.

Start a new Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit project.

Open to the Expert workspace and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p@29.97

Using File Menu/New/Project to Change Settings

In Change Settings, set to the above DSLR setting. Before you leave the area, in the new project dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project".

Then back in the Expert workspace, build your project in whatever order you need....

a. Bring in the 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second as is.

b. Bring in the 1440 x 1080 HD ananorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

(for now, we will right click each of these 1440 x 1080 clips and select Field Options and then Reverse Field Dominance)

c. Photos (15 of them @ 3892 x 2592 pixels...those are 3:2 in a 16:9 workflow...ordinarily I would say resize not to exceed 1920 x 1080, maintaining the 16:9 ratio...but we are going to go "not from the book"...leave the photos as is and let the project resize them...if there are any black borders in the Edit area monitor, then scale up the photos in the Edit area monitor just to the point where the black borders are gone.

d. Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline. If that looks OK....the continue

e. If you plan on menus, add scene markers to the Timeline. Do not apply stop markers.

f. Select a disc menu theme in Tools/Movie Menu section...go for the menu that will give you the least amount of main menu and scene menu pages....by example, if you have 12 Timeline scene markers, look for a menu with 6 scene buttons per scene menu so that you will have only 2 scene selection pages beside the main menu page. If you had 12 Timeline scene markers and selected a scene menu with 3 scene buttons per page, you would end up with 4 scene menu pages. Preview the menu and functioning of its navigation buttons. Click Done there when finished.

g. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with Preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Depending on your results, we could back off and

a. crop/ resize the photos beforehand 1920 x 1080 16:9

b. re-evaluate the need to use Reverse Field Dominance on the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9

No muttitasking when the project is in progress.

Work with the Safety Margins on in the Edit area monitor so that text is not cut off in TV viewing. (Safety Margins can be turned On and Off by right clicking the Edit area monitor and selecting Safety Margins. Please keep text within the inner rectangle and action within the outer rectangle.)

Do not hesitate to ask for clarification as you progress through the proposed workflow.

Thanks.

ATR