11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2014 12:45 PM by synthesizer

Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle

synthesizer

Hi,

I am going through a tutorial trying to make a coffee cup, http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/using-gradients-to-make-light-and-shadow-and-a-coffee -cup--psd-26.  I have gotten to step 10, and now I"m completely stuck.  I can create a rounded rectangle, but I can't seem to burn it and make it look like the photo in the tutorial.  I will post jpgs of both what I have, and what I'm trying to make my pic look like. Any help would be appreciated. 

What I have:

coffee cup.jpg

What I am trying to create (without the black circle, which I think it supposed to be the burn tool)

11.jpg

ok, thanks

• 1. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Probably would have helped if we could have seen your screen.

If the layer is not selected or is lock

If the burn tool is not using the default blend mode (look in top toolbar) or the opacity is less than 100%

Also check the blend mode of the layers as well.

• 2. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
            synthesizer Level 1

hi, Here are the screenshots:

The first one, I created a rounded rectangle:

Screen shot 2014-04-17 at 10.22.25 PM.png

Secondly, I clicked on the burn tool:

Screen shot 2014-04-17 at 10.22.34 PM.png

the burn tool doesn't work on the rectangle.  (is this image big enough?)

• 3. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
              synthesizer Level 1

cool, looks like if you double click, it opens up to a large version; 

• 4. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                Bojan Živković Adobe Community Professional

You can not use Burn Tool with shape layer, it must be rasterized. When using Burn Tool check what is set in Options bar in the Range drop down list, it must be set to Highlights if you want to use this tool with white shape element. In tutorial from what I see it is reffering to draw vector shape then to burn it what is not possible using Burn Tool simply because this tool does not work with shape layers.

burn tool.png

• 5. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                  synthesizer Level 1

thanks, I was able to 'burn' the rasterized form, but it doesn't look as nice as in the tutorial. I'm not sure what you mean about "reffering to draw vector shape then to burn it what is not possible using Burn Tool simply because this tool does not work with shape layers."  thanks again -

• 6. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                    synthesizer Level 1

If you are saying that the it's not possible to use the burn tool with a shape layer, then how did they get the photo to look like it does in step 11?  (see second pic at the top of thread)  thanks-

• 7. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                      Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Welcome to my world .  I won't say I never use the dodge and burn tool, and Steve Caplin certainly uses them to create the illusion of depth, but I prefer to lay down soft strokes or shapes on their own layer, and use Gaussian blur to make the gradients.  Same thing with layer masks using the Masks properties panel to feather edges to blend things together.  Plus layer styles because they do the job and that's what it's all about.

I only read a tiny bit of the tutorial, and then did this my way with no dodge or burn involved. 

Coffee cup.jpg

• 8. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                        Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am kind of in agreement with Trevor. I hardly ever use burn and dodge. Though they do have their uses. I try to keep as much as possible non-destructive. Which mean using gradients and blurs on a mask when I can. Sometimes a style can be used or an adjustment layer to do similar jobs. It ends up being a debate on which tool to use when and where. Some are a bit easier, some are more accuate, others are just there. It really ends up being what you are most use to using.

When in doubt, create a composite of your layers then burn or dodge on the composite. {ctrl-alt-shift-e (windows) cmd-opt-shift-e (mac)}

• 9. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The trick is in the fact that with each segment of the illustration on its own layer, you are always able to ctrl (Cmd) click a relevant layer to load it as a selection, and then add a layer mask.  Or you can load the OD, make the layer mask, click on a layer to give the ID and fill with black to create an annulus (as in the rim of the cup).  That lets you use layer styles on the annulus, which you would not be able to do if it was a solid layer with only the OD restrained by the layer mask.

And layers styles are so much more accurate and convenient than trying to match dodge and burn effects.  Burn tends to look particularly wrong, as was evident in the raw meat rework someone attempted in another thread.  It usually looks more like a dark smudge than anything remotely real.

• 10. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                            Bojan Živković Adobe Community Professional

It is not shape layer. Here is what author says:

Next use the Rounded Rectangle Tool (U) to draw in a shape as shown in a new layer. Note that I left paths on so that I could screenshot it properly, but actually you just need the shape.

So, he rasterized that shape.

• 11. Re: Using burn tool on a rounded rectangle
                              synthesizer Level 1

Thank you for all of your input. I haven't had a chance today to work on this, but I will go through your notes and attack this later.  thanks again!!