7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 10:33 PM by SquareEyez√ RSS

No track selection when editing Multicam into seq

SquareEyez√ Community Member

My apologies for essentially double posting this. I started here, as it was the most relevant topic I had found for the issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6309347#6309347

I'm new to CC's Mulicam feature, but well versed in the more limited equivalent in FCP.

I was delighted with everything about it, until I began actually cutting multicam footage into my sequence.

Whenever I try and overwrite/insert/drag the multicam material into the sequence, it brings in 18 audio tracks- in spite of the fact that my multicam sequences have only 4 audio and 2 video tracks.

No amount of track deselection on the destination sequence helps with this.

This is going to be a real problem as I add new material into an existing a rough cut, with a 5 track temp mix.

Any ideas on how I can specify only 1 or 2 tracks of audio?

Anyone else had this problem?

I'm running 7.2.2, on OSX 8.5.

Many thanks!

PS,

Also unable to insert images into this post. Using Chrome Version 34.0.1847.116

• 1. Re: No track selection when editing Multicam into seq
          J. Simon Community Member

Post a screen shot of the multicam source sequence.  Be sure we can see every track, none are hidden.

Add Image.png

• 2. Re: No track selection when editing Multicam into seq

Thanks Jim - I had to switch browser [from chrome to safari] to enable image uploads.

Chrome was giving me this to work with:

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 5.25.38 PM.png

But I digress!

Here is my Multicam Sequence [right click on it in the bin, and chose 'open in timeline':

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 10.17.19 PM.png

And here is what happens when I try and edit into my main sequence:

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 10.25.22 PM.png

No amount of track deselection helps with this. It seems that all the extra tracks are empty. Either way I want the ability to choose which tracks I want to overwrite/insert into my main seq..

So weird!

No one else is having this issue?

Again, I'm on OSX 10.8.5, running CC [prem 7.2.2]

I'm going to keep trying to find work arrounds, but I'm just really curios if anyone has experienced this.

Many Thanks! Of course I'm on a crazy deadline... :/

• 3. Re: No track selection when editing Multicam into seq

I'm inclined to think operator error on this one, I'm just not quite sure where it is yet.

The icon to the left of the magnet under the sequence timecode...is it on or off?

• 4. Re: No track selection when editing Multicam into seq

Thanks Jim! Good to know that button "insert/overwrite sequences as nests or individual clips"...

Well, that got rid of the 18 tracks, but at the expense of having multiclip functionality once the multicam element is in the new timeline.

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 6.07.50 PM.png

What I see in the progam monitor with multicam selected

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 6.18.17 PM.png

Vs what I see in the 18 track version

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 6.17.57 PM.png

Love to know what it is that is going wrong here...

THANKS

• 5. Re: No track selection when editing Multicam into seq

This is the normal method, though.  You bring in the multicam source sequence as a single sequence, not as original clips, then cut it up in the multicam view of the Program Monitor.  If you want to change anything as a whole, you go back to the source sequence.

I'm not sure why your video track came in as blue, though, which denotes a clip.  Both tracks should be green, which denotes a sequence.

• 6. Re: No track selection when editing Multicam into seq

Thank you for your time Jim.

Ok - good to know that I'm not off track with the workflow... I'm going to try a bunch of tests to find work arrounds. I'll bring it in to work next week and try the same project on different workstations to try and rule out something odd with my laptop.

-Ya, I should have made note of the fact that my label colors got shuffled arround when I created a couple of my own name/colors- so my colors are no longer default.

Again- many thanks Jim. I'll post updates when I've done those tests.

Cheers,

David.

• 7. Re: No track selection when editing Multicam into seq

Sorry its taken me so long to write another note here- been in serious crunch time to get a locked cut.

Figured out the work around, the issue, and what the problem might be. 

Essencialy, it seems that the multicam sequence is 'remembering' the amount of audio tracks it creates when trying to sync to audio. In my case, I was just trying out the feature- coming from plualeyes- and thought I'd dump an entire interview into one mulicam seq. 2 cameras with audio, one stereo audio recorder track. So, it created 18 audio tracks, and I don't know how many video tracks, wich I tiddied up and set it up how I wanted it layed out- logilcaly, based on source, not instance. When I was happy, I deleted all the empty tracks- leaving 2 video, and 4 audio.

So there I am trying to cut it into an existing edit timeline that has a rough mix already layed out how my sound designer requested, and I couldnt specify tracks to be edited into- it would just blast 18 audio tracks into my sequence.

The work around is to add the maximum number of tracks in your mulicam [ in this case 18, then on another INVU it generated 21] to your edit sequence.

At that point you can chose the number of tracks you want, wich ones, and where they go in your sequence- IE normal track asigmnent functionality.

So the real bug here is simply that the multicam seq is somhow remembering that it had 18 audio tracks, even though I've redone the layout and deleted all the empty tracks.

I'm just happy to have found a work around, but thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else has been struggling with this.

Thanks for the help peeps!

David