2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2007 8:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Getting my buttons active when movieclips are within movieclips

StephanieGoddess Level 1
      Ok so I have this site in progress with these neat drop down menus. When you rollover the image, two or more choices appear that link you to other pages. Only when you rollover them, the buttons don't work. The buttons work when you isolate each movie clip. But once I place the movieclip in the main time line, the buttons don't work anymore. The rollovers don't happen. They aren't clickable.

I need to know how to tell flash to make these buttons work. I can do this if a button is in the maintime line but not when it's embedded in a movieclip which is then embedded in the main time line. Get it?

I uploaded the work in progress so you can see what I mean. www.stephanieerdel.com/headermov.swf

rollover "Vibrations" and you'll see the choices pop up. In the movie clip each choice changes color when you rollover it. As mentioned before, when I put the clip in the main timeline, the buttons don't work. but you see them and the movie clip works fine.

If someone can write out what the code is to let flash know to make these buttons work, I would appreciate it soooo much.

Thank you!

-Stephanie
        • 1. Re: Getting my buttons active when movieclips are within movieclips
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          if you code mouse handlers for a parent movieclip (with as2), the child movieclips cannot detect mouse events: they are intercepted by the parent.

to remedy, code all mouse handlers on the child generation or use a hitTest for one of the generations.
          • 2. Re: Getting my buttons active when movieclips are within movieclips
            Level 7
            If you would like a wordy explanation with pictures and examples, you can
            see:
            http://www.senocular.com/flash/tutorials/buttoncapturing/

"StephanieGoddess" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f332nq$e0p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Ok so I have this site in progress with these neat drop down menus. When
            > you
            > rollover the image, two or more choices appear that link you to other
            > pages.
            > Only when you rollover them, the buttons don't work. The buttons work when
            > you
            > isolate each movie clip. But once I place the movieclip in the main time
            > line,
            > the buttons don't work anymore. The rollovers don't happen. They aren't
            > clickable.
            >
            > I need to know how to tell flash to make these buttons work. I can do
            > this if
            > a button is in the maintime line but not when it's embedded in a movieclip
            > which is then embedded in the main time line. Get it?
            >
            > I uploaded the work in progress so you can see what I mean.
            > www.stephanieerdel.com/headermov.swf
            >
            > rollover "Vibrations" and you'll see the choices pop up. In the movie clip
            > each choice changes color when you rollover it. As mentioned before, when
            > I put
            > the clip in the main timeline, the buttons don't work. but you see them
            > and the
            > movie clip works fine.
            >
            > If someone can write out what the code is to let flash know to make these
            > buttons work, I would appreciate it soooo much.
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            > -Stephanie
            >