7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 7:28 AM by Steve Grisetti

How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?

CuriousMark

I have Digital video shot with an older standard definition Cannon video camera that was shot in slim mode.  This is a mode where the DV is 720x480 but is anamorphically wider than 4x3.  It is probably somewhere near 16x9.  The clips import as DV just fine.  When I render the timeline I see pillar bars and skinny (slim) people.  I tried Publishing by exporting file sofr viewing on computers with the widescreen DVD settings and when I play it back using WMP I get the same thing.  I am not sure what settings where to try to stretch it.  I suspect this is probably easy, but I am not finding it.

• 1. Re: How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This indicates that your project is not set to anamorphic widescreen DV.

Was your video captured over a FireWire connection? What program did you use to capture your video?

Which version of the program are you using on what operating system?

What are your Project Settings, as listed under your Edit menu?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?
            CuriousMark Level 1

Thank you very much for assisting.  I have used PRE only occasionally and thus am still very low on the learning curve.

TL;DR, skip this paragraph. The event, a memorial service, was shot with an older SD Cannon DV camera.  I then connected it to the computer to upload and edit using PRE 8.0.  I was successful in getting the clips which were automatically broken up by the program onto the timeline in an order I liked.  When I attempted to export the video as computer movie it repeatedly crashed.  Rather than troubleshoot I took the Adobe offer to update to PRE12 and PSE12 for $100 since four revision old software that hadn't been even run for over a year was probably not worth the effort.  I must admit 12 is a significant improvement.  Render times are at least twice as fast and no more crashes.  But I still have the anamorphic issue.

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, the video was imported into PRE 8.0 using firewire.  If I recall correctly I accepted the default import settings and do not recall seeing anything that looked anamorphic widescreen DV.

2. After having crashes while trying to export the video in PRE 8.0 I bought, downloaded and installed PRE 12.  I opened the project from there and was able to render it just fine with no crashes.  These are both running on Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit.  PRE 8.0 may have been a 32 bit installation.  I selected 64 for PRE 12 download and it installed in Program Files, not program files (x86).

3. the project settings are as follows:

Editing Mode: DV NTSC *

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second *

Frame Size: 720 horizontal 480 vertical

Pixel Aspec Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9(1.2121) *

Fields: Lower Field First *

Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Title safe 20%, Action safe 10%

Audio Sample rate 48000Hz *

Display Format: Audio Samples

Capture Format: DV

Video Render File Fomat: Microsoft AVI DV NTSC *

Compressor DV NTSC *

* Starred items are grayed out and cannot be changed in the Project Settings Dialog.

If I read your post correctly, I may need to recapture from tape with better capture settings. Before I do that I will wait further replies.  I probably won't take that steup until next weekend anyway.

Again, thank you for your time.

Mark

• 3. Re: How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?

You will not be able to open a project created in version 8 with Premiere Elements 12. The programs are so different that you are likely to corrupt the project file completely if you try.

From your description is sounds like the program you used to capture your video did not save it as anamorphic 16:9 video.

Is this a miniDV camcorder? Did you use Premiere Elements to capture the video from this miniDV camcorder?

If you open one of the captured AVI files in Windows Media Player, does it look skinny or does it display correctly as 16:9?

• 4. Re: How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?
                CuriousMark Level 1

I just dug the camcorder out of the closet and realized I gave you bad information.  It is not a Cannon, it is a Panasonic 3CCD DV camcorder.   http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/PV-GS120 I am embarrassed that I did not pull it out and verify before my first post.  One thing it shows is that it does not have a Wide mode, and the panasonic website has no mention of the Slim mode.

from the tech specs:

Wide Mode (16:9)No

Indeed I was able to open the project successfully in PRE12.  It worked much better than it did in PRE8.0.  So it may have been corrupted, but as far as I can tell, it was in a good way.

This is a mini-DV camcorder, Panasonic calls it a 3CCD Ultra-Compact Digital Palmcorder.  I have not used it for some years now, so I had forgotten a lot about it. I used PRE8.0 to capture it to an AVI file that I later had PRE8.0 split into clips which I then re-arranged onto the timeline.  Mostly that rearrangement consisted of skipping clips that I wanted to remove.

The captured AVI file plays in windows media and looks skinny.  Thye WMP Properties of the original captured clip are:

Length: 57.03

Bit Rate: 29.43 Mbps

Video Size 720x480

Aspect Ration 8:9 Actual, 4:3 Displayed 

This last is odd, if the actual aspect ratio were 8:9 it would be fat not skinny when stretched to 4:3.

I think I will try to re-import from the camcorder again using pre12 and fish around for settings to over-ride the camera provided values, if possible.  If none of that works, I guess I could find a tool to recode the AVI file into a proper aspect ratio. I have read that this may look right when played on a TV set via DLNA, I will give that a try and see how it goes.

Slim Clip.png

• 5. Re: How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?

if your video looks skinny in Windows Media Player (as it does in your illustration), this means that it was not properly captured as 16:9 video.

Try recapturing the video from the camcorder using Premiere Elements' Add Media/From DV Camcorder over a FireWire connection. (or at least capture a sample of it.)

Most likely your properly captured video will play and edit with no problems.

• 6. Re: How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?
                    CuriousMark Level 1

I have now recaptured the video several times and did some googling on my own and finally figured it out with the help of this youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVs0lugKbkI

What finally worked best for me was to create a project with High Definitin or DV Widescreen settings. I then import the footage from the camcorder as you describe above with DV settings instead of DV Widescreen.  I think this is needed  because my camera is lying about the pixel aspect ratio.

I add the video to the timeline and then open project assets.

I right click on the video in project assets and select interpret footage.

In the Iterpret Footage dialog I change the pixel aspect ratio from D1/DV NTSC (0.9091) by pressing the Conform to: radio button and selecting D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)

The black pillar bars in the preview go away and all exports now have properly thick people and a nice 16x9 aspect that looks good on the family HDTV.

I am sure I never would have learned as much and figured this out without your guidance, so I want to thank you very much for your assistance in this thread.

Mark

• 7. Re: How to use DV from an old cannon SD video camera shot in SLIM mode?

Sorry that you have to use a "hybrid" solution, Mark -- but I'm glad to hear we were at least able to help you come to some solution. Happy moviemaking!