10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 4:01 AM by ryclark RSS

Is Audition 3.0 toast?

jazzereh Community Member

Needed to change my computer - old one was XP so I now have Win7 - and did a reinstall of my Audition 3.0 program and everything was working fine until today.  As of yesteday it worked and today I get a mssg that the serial number is invalid.   After trying a few things I contacted support who suggested I download a 'free' version which I did.  But, both with this free version and with my 3.0 program I cannot either install, uninstall or repair the program.

Two questions - is version 3.0 toast and I need to look elsewhere?

Is there a new version of Audtion that I can't see on the Adobe site?

I have been using Audtion for many years and it did everything I need.  So far I have had no help that is of any use from Adobe support.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?
          ryclark Community Member

See this FAQ about downloading and installation of activation free version of AA3 including how to uninstall previous versions.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.htm l

• 2. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?

I tried that before but tried it again just now.  I get a mssg that the installer, when trying to uninstall, terminates without completing the process so I'm back to where I was with the old program still in place.  Do I have a virus?  I considered this also and checked my system with the 3 different anit virus programs that I run with no virus showing up.

• 3. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?
              Bob Howes MVP

It might be worth trying the detailed instructions SteveG wrote in this FAQ:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/6184198#6184198

Normally, this is a procedure for where you're re-installing on a HDD that's already had Audition installed but I wonder if you got far enough with one of your failed installations to have some of these issues.

• 4. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?

Thanks Bob, I'll check that faq.  I had and was fully using my 3.0 version so it has been functional for a few years, if that's what you are refering to.  It was that version that suddenly failed to work over the weekend.  When I downloaded the version that the live chat person gave me, that failed to install and I could neither repair nor remove anything when trying that install.  Anyway, thanks for the link, I'll see what it says.

Ralph

• 5. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?

Just a quick follow up on my previous post - I checked the instructions and will give that a try, however, I would like to note that I did a reinstall of my AA3.0 from my discs about two weeks ago as part of setting up my new Win7 computer.  I was prompted to input the serial number to activate which I did and the program then worked fine.  Give what I have read about what Adobe did with the Audition Server, I am thinking that I should not have been able to do that installation???

Ralph

• 6. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?
                    ryclark Community Member

It would have installed OK with your serial number and worked for a bit, 30 days I believe, without activation. But when that time came it couldn't activate due to the withdrawal of the activation server and so stopped working.

• 7. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?
                      Bob Howes MVP

Yup, and that longer list of instructions about editing your registry is for when you're trying to "officially" install the generic software/serial number without the activation server at Adobe.

• 8. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?

Guys, a big thank you for your help.  It looks like I now have it working but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a while since the previous installation worked for a couple of weeks.  Full details below but you don't need to read if you don't want the full horror story!

I did struggle through the file deletion process that you pointed me to - I'm far from being that functional with a computer so really dreaded what I might be doing to my system - but after what is now many unproductive hours on this, it seems to be ok.

It looked like I had removed everything so I tried to do the install from the download link with the new version and it seemed to install just fine - all the way to telling me that the install was complete.  Happily clicked the icon to start the program and I got a pop up telling me the serial number was wrong!  I was sure I had copied it properly, hyphens and all, just as it looked on the download page.  So tried to do a 'repair' install that also got all the way through and told me that it was fine.  Tried to open the program again, no luck.

This time I did an unistall of the program which seemed to work and then went back and did a new install this time after going back to the Adobe download site to verify the serial number.  However this time on the install I did not insert the hyphens between the series of numbers and once again it told me the install was successful - and it was, 'cause I've just started the program and it seems to be functional.

This just shouldn't be this hard!!  Like I said above, I'm not computer wiz, I'm just a musician looking to record/edit my music.  If  I do have any more problems I'm just going on to another program that I have been told about and looked into while getting sooooooo frustrated at all this.

So if you did read this far, I want to thank you again for your help.  Would not have gotten to this point with just what I was getting from Adobe support - I don't think they care, they just tried to sell me the new Audition CS.

Ralph

• 9. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?
                          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

It's true - you do have to be seriously careful with the way you uninstall AA3. As far as I'm aware, you have to uninstall first using the normal uninstaller, and then go through the registry fixes after completing that. If you don't do it in this order, I'm pretty sure that dreadful things will happen if you try to reinstall.

• 10. Re: Is Audition 3.0 toast?
                            ryclark Community Member

Well we all have to be thankful that, at least, Adobe have given AA3 purchasers a way to continue using it free of charge even though they no longer support it. Possibly more than other software houses (M****s***) might have done with software that old with several new versions since.