6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 8:53 AM by Newsgroup_User

Multiple pages - printing/exporting pains

Interactionhero
      I love the new pages feature but it really sucks that Adobe didn't provide a way to print or export each page in one step. Given this problem there's really no incentive for me to use the feature! (I can print faster using Windows Explorer, and export with the existing batch process.)

Hopefully there's a patch, or even a standalone app that would fix this problem coming out soon.
        • 1. Re: Multiple pages - printing/exporting pains
          Level 7
          NookyMonster wrote:

> I love the new pages feature but it really sucks that Adobe didn't provide a
          > way to print or export each page in one step. Given this problem there's really
          > no incentive for me to use the feature! (I can print faster using Windows
          > Explorer, and export with the existing batch process.)

Why do you need to print the pages? :-) You can export each page in one
          step, though. Just uncheck the Current Page Only box in the export
          dialog box.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Multiple pages - printing/exporting pains
            Level 7
            Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks** wrote:
            > NookyMonster wrote:
            >
            >> I love the new pages feature but it really sucks that Adobe didn't
            >> provide a way to print or export each page in one step. Given this
            >> problem there's really no incentive for me to use the feature! (I can
            >> print faster using Windows Explorer, and export with the existing
            >> batch process.)
            >
            > Why do you need to print the pages? :-) You can export each page in one
            > step, though. Just uncheck the Current Page Only box in the export
            > dialog box.
            >
            >
            You can also export out each page as an individual PNG file which can
            be opened in PS, where you have much more control over printing.

OR

Preview the page in a browser and print from there.

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            Extending Knowledge, Daily
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: Multiple pages - printing/exporting pains
              dhogue94
              I agree that being able to print each page (scaled to fit on a single piece of paper) would be useful for many information designers. If Adobe is going to push FW CS3 as a wireframing and prototyping tool, they should recognize that many information designers' clients will want a printed deck of wireframes to review, comment upon, draw on, and otherwise carry away from a computer.

Yes, it is very easy to create pages that look great in a browser or on screen, but many information designers also need to annotate and document functionality and interactivity, and FW CS3 forces us to maintain that documentation independent from the wireframe pages. Granted, FW is not a print tool and was never intended for intensive text management and documentation, but it should at least be able to export all pages directly to PDF so that reviewers can annotate and comment via the PDF functionality in Acrobat. I mean, Adobe owns Acrobat and FW, why can't we "print" all pages to PDF?

My current work-around is to export all pages to separate files, then do one of the following:

(1) select all of the individual files and combine in Acrobat to form a PDF and let Acrobat manage the print scaling; then use the PDF for client review and comments

(2) copy the individual images into Word, scale each to fit the page, then use Word to document functionality and interactivity of the wireframes

(3) place the individual images in InDesign and use it for documenting functionality and interactivity. (Notice that there is currently no Quick Export to InDesign in FW CS3...)

All of these options are more time- and labor-intensive than they should be.
              • 4. Re: Multiple pages - printing/exporting pains
                Level 7
                dhogue94 wrote:
                > I agree that being able to print each page (scaled to fit on a single piece of
                > paper) would be useful for many information designers. If Adobe is going to
                > push FW CS3 as a wireframing and prototyping tool, they should recognize that
                > many information designers' clients will want a printed deck of wireframes to
                > review, comment upon, draw on, and otherwise carry away from a computer.
                >
                > Yes, it is very easy to create pages that look great in a browser or on
                > screen, but many information designers also need to annotate and document
                > functionality and interactivity, and FW CS3 forces us to maintain that
                > documentation independent from the wireframe pages. Granted, FW is not a print
                > tool and was never intended for intensive text management and documentation,
                > but it should at least be able to export all pages directly to PDF so that
                > reviewers can annotate and comment via the PDF functionality in Acrobat. I
                > mean, Adobe owns Acrobat and FW, why can't we "print" all pages to PDF?
                >
                > My current work-around is to export all pages to separate files, then do one
                > of the following:
                >
                > (1) select all of the individual files and combine in Acrobat to form a PDF
                > and let Acrobat manage the print scaling; then use the PDF for client review
                > and comments
                >
                > (2) copy the individual images into Word, scale each to fit the page, then use
                > Word to document functionality and interactivity of the wireframes
                >
                > (3) place the individual images in InDesign and use it for documenting
                > functionality and interactivity. (Notice that there is currently no Quick
                > Export to InDesign in FW CS3...)
                >
                > All of these options are more time- and labor-intensive than they should be.
                >
                >

Having a Create PDF option within FW would solve a lot of this. Too bad
                it could not get implemented this go-round.

--
                Extending Knowledge, Daily
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                • 5. Re: Multiple pages - printing/exporting pains
                  Mike_fr
                  Hello,

Is it still impossible to print a PDF with several pages on Fireworks?

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Multiple pages - printing/exporting pains
                    Level 7
                    Mike_fr wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Is it still impossible to print a PDF with several pages on Fireworks?
                    >
                    > Thanks

Not in CS4. You can export to PDF now.

--
                    ---
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
                    ---