14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2014 7:42 AM by dj_paige RSS

Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow

Mizzou95

Any ideas why all of a sudden 5.4 is taking forever to import photos? It has been over an hour to import 220 Raw photos off my card. I know it will take a little bit of time, but an hour plus? 5.3 was never this slow. Running on Windows 8.1

• 1. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
          areohbee Community Member

No idea. But consider re-installing Lr5.3 to see if performance resumes, then Lr5.4 again to see if slow again - i.e. see if problem is repeatable and positively tied to Lr5.4 version (even if that is the only change you made since it worked normally - it pays to double check, or even triple check).

If Lr5.4 bug - do report it.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightro om

• 2. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
            snaphappy_chappy Community Member

Having just completed a new pc build, I am extremely dissapointed with Lr 5.4 performance.

I'm finding the sliders are almost unusable due to laggy performance.
            With these specs, there should be no issues at all
            Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My specs are:

Win 7 Pro

Asus PA279Q Monitor

i7-4930K 3.4ghz CPU

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD - Boot Drive

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD - Scratch Disc

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD - Lightroom Catalogues

WD 2TB Drive - Data

WD 2TB Drive - Photos

Corsair Dominator GT Ram 32GB

Asus X79 Deluxe mobo

etc etc

Plugins

Nik Software

Tony Kuyper Luminosity Masks

• 3. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
              eheffa Community Member

I have the same issue on a fairly high powered system.  Hackintosh running 10.9.2. 2.9GHz 4770K, 32GB RAM,  SSD's, RAID storage.

LR has slowed to a crawl & I'm seriously thinking that I will need a different RAW converter cataloguing app.  It's virtually unusable right now.

It takes 45 minutes to import 200 RAW files (mix of Fuji X-T1, Sony A7R & Canon 1DsIII files.)  These are not small files but the system seems to hang and even after it limps to completing the previews, it takes 2-3 MINUTES to show a single image at 100%.

After a complete fail with no ability to complete the import process, I have reverted back to an older version of my catalog.  Optimizing it and re importing the last weeks' worth of images actually completed but it took ~2 hours to import and build standard previews on 300 RAW images.

I'm distressed and derailed by this.

Suggestions appreciated.

-evan

• 4. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow

eheffa wrote:

I have the same issue on a fairly high powered system.

Not a "power" issue - Lr is not liking something about your system, or vice versa..

eheffa wrote:

(mix of Fuji X-T1, Sony A7R & Canon 1DsIII files.)

Consider importing one type at a time, to see if it's the same for all types.

Trouble-shooting 101.. but if you can glean any info - do report problem to Adobe, and if not a problem in Lr5.3 - fall back..

Sorry I can't be more help.

Rob

• 5. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
                  eheffa Community Member

Thanks Rob,

I have tried a number of things including optimizing the catalog etc.

(Unfortunately, LR 5.3 isn't an option as the X-T1 & A7R are only supported by 5.4)

I wondered whether the size or the state of my default catalog was an issue so yesterday, I tried creating a new catalog & importing this same mix of files I was describing above. I inadvertently imported the images to my boot SSD.  That was nice & quick. I was able to easily move the files to the usual storage volume.  The whole process was much smoother.  Going back to my old catalog with its ~300K images and re-opening showed a quicker response than this recent slower than molasses state... (It does make me wonder about my working storage volume which is a 4 x 2TB disk RAID 0 (8TB) array.  It tested out out at ~800MB/sec write & read but perhaps that is acting up?  It's only half full.)

I'm not sure what to think.   I have more experimenting to do but at least I can keep working.  (Maybe I don't need everything in one giant catalog.)

I will report back when I have some possible answers.

-evan

• 6. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
                    Mike Katz Community Member

+1, same problem, Win7 64-bit 16GB RAM, fast quad core processor.

I've tried everything suggested on this and other forums, and it makes no difference.

BTW, if I import and do nothing else, my disk usage sits at 1% and my CPU at 15%. Something in LR5.4 is looping or just sitting,

• 7. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow

Mike Katz wrote:

I've tried everything..

Perhaps you missed something .

I mean, I suspect it'll work slick as snot on ice when you find the "key".

OK, I could be wrong, it could be something intrinsically unlikable about your hardware, but I doubt it - more likely there is something about your setup which can (theoretically) be trouble-shot - granted: whether that's practical or not depends on time and skill, and maybe a little luck ..

Good luck,

Rob

• 8. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow

Hi Rob

Thanks for the encouragement.

Like others, though, LR 5.3 performs well. The change has only happened since 5.4. To me, the chances that this is something in my system is unlikely, especially because of the low system resources being used while importing.

Mike

• 9. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow

Hi Mike,

Every time Adobe releases a new version, something runs slow for some poor sole(s) - the rest of us do fine.

Although the downturn for those unlucky customers is due to software change, it's something which is affecting only some few systems.

Summary:

========

Problem cause:

-------------------

* software.

Problem solution:

---------------------

* system (if you want it to work before Adobe fixes it, and it's possible for you..).

* software (if you're willing to wait, and Adobe finds the software key so you don't have to find the system key..).

Rob

• 10. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
                            eheffa Community Member

I have discovered the problem in my system.

I was using a 4 x 2TB RAID0 array for my main image storage (8 TB at 450-500MB/sec read & Write speeds.  One of the 4 drives was failing with many read errors slowing the read process to a crawl.  I have removed the offending drive and rebuilt the array. (Lesson here: Never use RAID 0 without good up to date backups.  Thankfully, my backup system was intact.)

After reloading my image collection to the array, I'm back to a nice speedy system.

It wasn't LR 5.4 after all.  The drive's failure was just coincidental with the installation of version 5.4.

So, maybe your hardware could be acting up?

-evan

• 11. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow

Hi Evan

Thanks. In my case, all photos, caches, and catalogs reside on a 240GB SSD drive, which is functioning perfectly. My completed photos are on a separate drive.

I've checked the Windows Event Viewer for errors, and there are no significant ones that affect my LR processing.

However, there were some errors in attempting to load old and unneeded printer drivers on boot up, so I eliminated those, so I received some benefit from your post. Thanks.

Mike

• 12. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
                                JamesP503

Having the same issues with Lightroom 5.4. New built PC Asus Z87 Deluxe,CPU i7, 32g ram, Asus GTX760 video card. Photos on wd 2 tb 7200 hard drive, Lightroom resides on other drive.

Lightroom 5.4 takes a very long time to open catalog. disappointed. Plan to revert back to LR 5.3

• 13. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
                                  zoeica

Same issue here. LR 5.3 was running fast as can be and now 5.4 is extremely slow to import and render files (Canon, Nikon, Leica and Fuji). New Catalog for each event, catalogs on external drives running fine. Pretty unacceptable when trying to import 4,000 images.

Can't firgure out how to revert back to 5.3 though. Any advice? I've tried uninstalling 5.4 but every time I reinstall Adobe makes me update to 5.4 again.

imac 27" 2.9ghz  OSX 10.8.5

• 14. Re: Adobe 5.4 Importing Exceptionally Slow
                                    dj_paige Community Member

I've tried uninstalling 5.4 but every time I reinstall Adobe makes me update to 5.4 again.

Is this Creative Cloud or perpetual license? Don't you have the option to decline the update?

For perpetual license, you download Lightroom 5.3 and install. Go to Google and type in

Lightroom 5.3 Download Mac