10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 10:43 AM by chadallansuch

Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!

chadallansuch

Is there a way to automate the image replacement of low resolution images to high resolution images in inDesign.  We currently have an application that prints to file a PostScript file containing over 800 low resolution images.  We currently have to replace these images (800 images spread over 14 different images, so each design is used up to 50 or 60 times) one by one in Adobe Illustrator CS2.  I haven't had any luck automating this task in Illustrator CC and was directed to inDesign.  I would like to select the 50 or 60 low res images and replace them once, instead of 50 or 60 times.  I would do this over the 14 different designs, making the process faster.

In the past we would take this low res postscript file and send it to our Creo/Scitex PS2 or Brisque, and the rip would take over and do the auto picture replacement function for us.  Is this process possible in inDesign?

• 1. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, not every nuance of your process is clear to me. If the starting point is a "postscript file," which you're currently opening in Illustrator, then InDesign can't step in and do that same thing. It simply doesn't interpret postscript the way Illustrator can. Its native format is proprietary.

If the "root" document was an InDesign file, it would take a bit of setup, but it could be done this way:

Low-resolution images stored together in a common folder (folder 1); linked to InDesign document.

Hi resolution images with exact same names stored together in a different common folder (folder 2).

Rename folder 1.

Open InDesign document; all links missing.

Relink first missing image link to high-resolution counterpart in folder 2.

InDesign finds and relinks all high-resolution counterparts in folder 2.

• 2. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I guess my question is why use low res in the first place? This type of FPO workflow made sense 20 years ago but today? Not so much.

• 3. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!

Right. This part of the explanation: "We currently have an application that prints to file a PostScript file containing over 800 low resolution images." Seems to suggest that they are stuck in a somewhat outdated and/or bespoke workflow. That's the thing that isn't clear to me.

• 4. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John Mensinger wrote:

Low-resolution images stored together in a common folder (folder 1); linked to InDesign document.

Hi resolution images with exact same names stored together in a different common folder (folder 2).

Rename folder 1.

Open InDesign document; all links missing.

Relink first missing image link to high-resolution counterpart in folder 2.

InDesign finds and relinks all high-resolution counterparts in folder 2.

Why not just use the Relink to Folder command?

• 5. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!

Peter Spier wrote:

Why not just use the Relink to Folder command?

That's a good point, but CS2 was mentioned, and I can't remember whether it was available in that version.

• 6. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ah yes. Probably not.

• 7. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!
                      chadallansuch Level 1

Thank You John and Bob!  Going back to the beginning of the posts, can I save the postscript file from Illustrator CS2 so that it will open in inDesign?

I understand the folder thing, I guess now I just need to save this file somehow so that inDesign can open it and look for links....

Our application is very old and the rip we used always did this for us.  We no longer have this rip because we don't run film any longer.  Lately though it has become very time consuming replacing the images one at a time and we are getting too busy to take the time to do this.

• 8. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!
                        chadallansuch Level 1

I'm going to play with exporting the POSTSCRIPT file from Illustrator CS2 and saving as, etc to see if the folder idea for inDesign will work.

Any other suggestions?

Thank You very much for the dialogue thus far, I can't tell you how much we appreciate it.  We are a small ticket manufacturing company in Great Falls Montana and sometimes have difficulty upgrading equipment and programs....

• 9. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!

As I mentioned at the beginning of my first response, without a 3rd-party plugin, the only type of file InDesign will open is an InDesign file. It does not have native Postscript interpretation capabilities like Illustrator. Even if you could cobble together a workflow which would get that Postscript file opened in InDesign, it wouldn't have the linked file structure of a file that was built from scratch in InDesign, so the folder-of-links trick wouldn't apply.

Your post #7: "Our application is very old and..."

I still don't know what your application is, but any solution involving InDesign would have to come in at that level. As long as your process starts with that application's output to a Postscript file, I believe you're stuck.

• 10. Re: Image Replacement - LoRes to HiRes!
                            chadallansuch Level 1

I see.  I thought maybe there would be a work around since I'm not familiar with all of the adobe products.  I've contacted a company to do a code audit of our custom application and I guess we will take it from there.  Thank You for your help and advice!