• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a CFGRID limitation as to the number of rows and columns to display in CF10?

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

On CF10 web application, I am using CFGRID to show a search result output on the screen.  I found that depending on the number of records returned from the query, CFGRID is not showing any data on the screen.  I have a query that returns more than 3,000 records with 80 columns and it does not show data on the screen.  It may sound stupid to show such many columns on the screen but that's what the user wants.  I have not tried paging with CFGRID but I just want to know if there's anyone who might have encountered the same issue and how they solved such an issue.

Thanks.

Pacita

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tibay,

That sounds like a UX nightmare!  Showing 80 columns in a grid will require the user to do a significant amount of horizontal scrolling, and showing more than 3,000 records will take forever to render on screen.

My suggestion is to scrap CFGRID altogether and use something like jQuery Datatables or jqGrid. Both have the option of doing paging either server-side or client-side.  With client-side paging, all of the query reults are sent to the widget, but only the current page of records is rendered to the screen, which should improve performance once the data is transferred.  With server-side paging, small sets of records are sent to the client with each page request.  This will render the fastest, but require more effort on the back-end (ColdFusion code) to make that work.

HTH,

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this will help, but this link shows you how to do Database paging in cfgrid.

Using Database Side Paging With CFGrid – Neiland.net

so not all your records will load at once , only records you request via the page. It requires you to write your SQL accordingly.

And showing 80 columns is crazy : )  but the customer is always right until their not   : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation