12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 9:38 AM by sinious

Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.

James22s22 Level 1

TextFields are no longer respecting bold and italic tags nor TextFormat bold and italic properties.

I embedded Times New Roman Regular, Bold and Italic (uppercase and lowercase letters).  I also made sure all three are exported for actionscript in the first frame.

When I run the following code, I notice two things immediately.  1st, Flash CC does not respect the b and i tags in HTML text anymore, because the text is all regular.  That completely breaks all existing applications.  2nd, either "Times New Roman" (regular) or "Times New Roman Italic" is not listed as being embedded according to Font.enumerateFonts call, despite both being embedded and exported for actionscript.  It seems to depend on whether or not there is a text field on the stage using the regular font.  If one is not present, then "Times New Roman" (regular) is missing from enumerateFonts, and if a text field is present, then suddenly "Times New Roman" (regular) is present, but "Times New Roman Italic" goes missing.

import flash.text.Font;

//Embed times new roman regular, bold and italic (uppercase and lowercase)
      //Make sure all three are exported for actionscript in the first frame.

for each ( var s:Font in flash.text.Font.enumerateFonts( true ))
      {
           if (s.fontName.substring(0,5) == "Times")
                trace(s.fontName + ", " + s.fontStyle + ", " + s.fontType);
      }

var txt:TextField = new TextField();
      txt.x = 0;
      txt.y = 0;
      txt.width = 500;
      txt.height = 200;
      txt.defaultTextFormat = new TextFormat( "Times New Roman", 56, 0x000000, false, false, false );
      txt.selectable = false;
      txt.embedFonts = true;
      txt.type = TextFieldType.DYNAMIC;
      txt.wordWrap = false;
      txt.multiline = false;
      logo.border = true;
      txt.htmlText = "Times <i>Times</i> <b>Times</b>";
      addChild( txt );

Fonts are completely broken in Flash CC.  This is totally unacceptable.  There are numerous threads posted on this topic, and I have no idea why this hasn't been fixed.

This works exactly as expected in CS6.  All three fonts are embedded, they enumerate properly, and it reespects and b and i tags at runtime.

Furthermore, even if you guys completely changed everything to use unique font names and did deprecate the b and i tags, they still can't even be affected by stylesheets:

var styleSheet:StyleSheet = new StyleSheet();
      styleSheet.parseCSS("p {font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 56;} i {font-family: Times New Roman Italic;} b{font-family:Times New Roman Bold;}" );
      txt.styleSheet = styleSheet;
      txt.htmlText = "<p>Times <i>Times</i> <b>Times</b></p>";

The above addition has no effect.  The i and b tags are still rendered as regular text.

• 1. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

Works just fine using [Embed..

exfont.png

Example Source:

http://www.ertp.com/tmp/FLCCEmbed.zip

Main.as simple Source:

package 

{

import flash.display.MovieClip;

import flash.text.TextField;

import flash.text.TextFormat;

import flash.text.AntiAliasType;

public class Main extends MovieClip

{

[Embed(source="Sansation-Regular.ttf", fontFamily="Sansation", mimeType='application/x-font', advancedAntiAliasing="true", embedAsCFF="false" )]

private var SansationRegular:Class;

[Embed(source="Sansation-Italic.ttf", fontFamily="Sansation", fontStyle="italic", mimeType='application/x-font', advancedAntiAliasing="true", embedAsCFF="false" )]

private var SansationItalic:Class;

[Embed(source="Sansation-Bold.ttf", fontFamily="Sansation", fontWeight="bold", mimeType='application/x-font', advancedAntiAliasing="true", embedAsCFF="false" )]

private var SansationBold:Class;

public function Main()

{

var tf:TextField = new TextField();

tf.x = tf.y = 10;

tf.width = tf.height = 400;

tf.wordWrap = true;

tf.embedFonts = true;

tf.antiAliasType = AntiAliasType.ADVANCED;

tf.multiline = true;

tf.defaultTextFormat = new TextFormat("Sansation", 22, 0x0);

addChild(tf);

tf.htmlText = 'This is regular.<br><i>This is italic.</i><br><b>This is bold.</b>';

}

}

}

flversion.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
            James22s22 Level 1

You are manually setting the fontFamily name with an embed tag.  Flash CC does not set the same font family name for embedded fonts by default.  Instead, it sets separate names like "Times New Roman Bold" and "Times New Roman Italic".

See: http://www.cybertechquestions.com/bug---in-flash-pro-cc-bold-and-italic-properties-of-text format-have-no-effect-on-rendered-text_8142.html

For example:

With flash pro CS6, "bold = true" renders bold, and "fontName = Trebuchet MS Bold" DOES NOT RENDER.

With flash pro CS6, the following is traced:

fontName: Trebuchet MS, fontStyle: bold

fontName: Trebuchet MS, fontStyle: regular

With flash pro CC, "bold = true" renders regular, and "fontName = Trebuchet MS Bold" renders bold.

With flash pro CC, the following is traced:

fontName: Trebuchet MS, fontStyle: regular

fontName: Trebuchet MS Bold, fontStyle: bold

I will post code in a minute demonstrating how font names are incompatible between Flash CS6 and Flash CC.

• 3. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
              James22s22 Level 1

Here, open this in Flash CS6, run it, and observe the output.  Then open it in Flash CC, run it, and notice that the font names are different and the italic and bold tags are no longer respected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyti89rnzjrlinc/FontProblem.fla

Once you've observed the differences, draw a text field on the screen in Flash CC and make sure its set to Times New Roman font and run it again.  Now you'll see that the output of enumerateFonts is different as well. So this is not only a bug in the way Flash CC is identifying and embedding font names, but also an issue with enumerateFonts not returning all the embedded fonts.  Obviously, if you set the font names manually as you did sinious with an Embed tag in the code, you won't see the problem.

The output in Flash CS6 is:

Times New Roman, italic, embedded

Times New Roman, bold, embedded

Times New Roman, regular, embedded

And the bold and italic tags are respected.  Notice that all three embedded fonts have the same family name, as you, siniuous, forced them to have by using the embed tag.  That is NOT the default behavior in Flash CC.  The output in Flash CC is as follows:

Times New Roman Bold, bold, embedded

Times New Roman Italic, italic, embedded

And the bold and italic tags are ignored.  If you then draw a text field on the main stage in Flash CC, the output changes to the following:

Times New Roman Bold, bold, embedded

Times New Roman, regular, embedded

Something is seriously broken.  StyleSheets are also not working with b and i tags.

• 4. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
                James22s22 Level 1

So let's just be clear about this.  The embed tags work for embedding fonts in Flash CC (and of course CS6), only because it allows you to manually set the font family name and font style for each font.  Specifically, this allows you to force regular, bold, and italic versions of the font to have the same family name, which allows Flash to select the italic and bold versions of the same "Times New Roman" (for example) font name without issue.

The font name bug exists and there is most likely a bug with enumerateFonts as well, based on the output changing depending on whether you add a text field to the stage.  If I recall, an earlier thread had mentioned that doing that very thing was a workaround for a font-embedding bug, so it must be related but was obviously not fully fixed.  This font-name bug also means you cannot use the Flash IDE to embed fonts at all if you plan on using b or i tags in the htmlText, because it uses the full font title instead of the font family name when embedding the font and those tags will stop working.  Using the "embed" tag to embed fonts is a functioning workaround that will work in both CS6 and CC, but it requires all existing FLA files to be altered and all fonts embedded in the library will have to be removed and embedded manually in code via the embed tag.  This could cause some warnings in the designer, btw.

• 5. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.

This has existed since nearly the beginning of time. Embedding fonts, especially multibyte/Asian character sets has always been a headache.

If you simply must change them in the htmlText then use <font face=""> to change between full font names. Include the fonts in an external RSL or SWC and register them. Then you can use them. Do note that the second you use embedFont=true, no OS font will show up, unless you embedded it.

There's also an ahead-of-time compiler complication going on I'm not going to get into but if you have a class that Flash detects you're not even using, it can exclude it. That includes Fonts. On some projects you simply need to declare the class just to be sure Flash even includes the class during compile. Again, out of the scope of this conversation.

Here's Flash importing a SWC containing the 3 fonts, exported for AS named SansationRegular, SansationBold and SansationItalic. The embedded font metadata retains the font family. After embedding, Flash cannot positively determine these fonts absolutely belong to each other. Thus it does not know one is an italic or bold version of the other.After registering their classes, you simply specify the full name of the font. e.g. "Sansation Regular", not just "Sansation", and you overcome the obstacle. 

anotherworkaroundfont.png

Note: I removed these fonts from the OS before running this to assure the glyphs came from the embedded SWC.

Example Source:

http://www.ertp.com/tmp/FLCCEmbedIDE.zip

You must re-link the SWC so the path is correct for your system in the AS3.0 settings.

Main.as changed to:

package 

{

import flash.display.MovieClip;

import flash.text.TextField;

import flash.text.TextFormat;

import flash.text.AntiAliasType;

import flash.text.Font;

import flash.events.Event;

public class Main extends MovieClip

{

public function Main()

{

// register embedded SWC fonts

// (NOT IN OS)

Font.registerFont(SansationRegular);

Font.registerFont(SansationBold);

Font.registerFont(SansationItalic);

addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, onEF);

}

protected function onEF(e:Event):void

{

removeEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, onEF);

var tf:TextField = new TextField();

tf.x = tf.y = 10;

tf.width = tf.height = 400;

tf.wordWrap = true;

tf.embedFonts = true;

tf.antiAliasType = AntiAliasType.ADVANCED;

tf.multiline = true;

// use Arial as default (NOT embedded, won't show up)

tf.defaultTextFormat = new TextFormat("Arial", 22, 0x0);

addChild(tf);

// only shows embedded glyphs

// (first sentence (Arial) is missing)

tf.htmlText = 'This has no font applied and is missing.<br><font face="Sansation Regular">This is regular.</font><br><font face="Sansation Italic">This is italic.</font><br><font face="Sansation Bold">This is bold.</font>';

}

}

}

I wait a frame to finish registration for no special reason. I set the default font of the field to "Arial". You can see in the output there is no Arial. That's because I didn't embed it, showing you clearly if you set embedFont=true, OS fonts won't show unless you embed them.

This isn't as easy as using <i> and <b>, but it's another well known workaround. There's a CSS workaround as well.

All of these have existed for quite a long time.

Lastly please do not post duplicate threads. I removed your other duplicate.

• 6. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
                    James22s22 Level 1

Flase.  This bug has existed starting with Flash CC only.  It is NEW BEHAVIOR, and it is wrong.  It is improperly identifing the font family name.  This simple file proves that.  Open and run it Flash CS6, then open and run it in Flash CC.  The font names embedded are different, and it breaks the bold and italic tags.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyti89rnzjrlinc/FontProblem.fla

There is no ahead of time compiler issue going on here either; we all know unused classes can be excluded, but not when they're explicitly marked as "export for actionscript" -- that's supposed to force their export so the classes are accessible dynamically at runtime, with or without explicitly hard-coded references.  The size report for the FLA indicates all three fonts are embedded (as does post-compilation analysis of the SWF), but Font.enumerateFonts is failing to report one of the three (and a different one, depending on whether there is a textfield using the font on the first frame).  When "export for ActionScript" is checked for the font, it cannot exclude the class, because it may be accessed from ActionScript dynamically, not referenced in code anywhere.  If you're claiming the compiler can arbitrarily exclude a class that has been explicitly exported for ActionScript, then the compile has a problem.  This behavior differs between Flash CS6 and Flash CC, and Flash CS6 does it correcty while Flash CC does it wrong.  I can't be any more clear about it.

The reason I posted another thread, is because you trashed this thread by dodging the issue at hand, offering workarounds that equate to "if the IDE is broke, don't use the IDE", which is basically what you're doing by suggesting I use the embed tag.  You're making claims like "after embedding, Flash cannot positively determine these fonts absolutely belong to each other." which is false because they should have the same family name, and you're claiming that this behavior has always existed, again false, because Flash CS6 embeds them with a shared family name, while Flash CC does not.  It's new/different behavior which is a breaking change, for which I can find no explanation nor documentation.  You also claim that there's a CSS workaround, but I already demonstrated at the end of my original post that the CSS solution does not work; feel free to correct the CSS code if it's wrong.

• 7. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.

This bug

Who said it was a bug? This can be entirely be design. While they logged it as a bug they may just decide changing faces is actually a better way to go. <i> no longer even means italics in specification. Things change.

Again, this is an old issue. You should know, you posted in this thread which started last year

Also, in older versions of Flash, if you've worked between Mac and Windows before then you know they name fonts differently at the OS-level. I can't count the number of times I've imported something designed on a Mac into an older version of Flash (which appends the style and weight in the name) and needed to re-assign the fonts. This has been an issue for a very long time.

code... this fails to trace either 'Times New Roman Italic'

Actually it traces Italic and Bold but not Regular in mine. However the workaround mentioned above, whether <font face='Times New Roman Bold'> or a StyleSheet.fontFamily = 'Times New Roman Bold' workaround will fix the issue for you in CC.

but not when they're explicitly marked as "export for actionscript"

Wrong. Create a library in Flash Pro, export all your symbols, import that into a Flash Builder project and try to flash.utils.getDefinitionByName() on anything you don't explicitly make a reference to in that SWC. See what happens. I'll spare you the effort, it won't exist, because the compiler strips anything that isn't explicitly referenced.

because you trashed this thread by dodging the issue at hand

You'll find no shortage of workaround solutions around here, as well as when you develop in Flash or any other evolving language, framework, etc. Offering one isn't meant to derail the issue you're pointedly referring to. It's to attempt to get you working again.

Clearly that isn't what you want. This thread is no more useful than the thread I previously linked where this issue is documented by the staff. Repeating it, as well as opening new threads, is spam. The proper channel is to post the bug on the wish form, not spam the forums. If you open up another thread on this issue, rest assured it will be removed.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 8. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
                        James22s22 Level 1

Who said it was a bug?

Actually, on the thread you deleted, I said, it's either a bug or it's a BREAKING change (by design) with no explanation nor documentation.  Even in my original post on this thread I mentioned the possibility that it was an intentional change possibly involving the deprecation of b and i tags, but there's just no mention of it anywhere.  And applying a stylesheet to the b and i tags with the new/unique font names just doesn't work.

Again, this is an old issue. You should know, you posted in this thread which started last year.

No, it's a current issue.  Although it has existed for a year, it still exists.  Also, anyone moving from Flash CS6 to Flash CC, right now, will encounter this issue.

Also, in older versions of Flash, if you've worked between Mac and Windows before then you know they name fonts differently at the OS-level

We're not talking about fonts differing between Mac and Windows.  We're not even talking about actual OS-level font names changing.  We're talking about Flash choosing to embed different family names for different styles of a font between Flash CS6 and Flash CC on not only the same OS but the same TTF font file.  This means that projects and content developed on Flash CS6 in Windows, will no longer work in Flash CC in Windows.  It's a breaking change, with no documentation or explanation.

Actually it traces Italic and Bold but not Regular in mine.

As I said, it traces only 2 of the 3 embedded fonts, despite all three being embedded, as confirmed by post-compilation examination of the SWF.  In Flash CS6, all three are listed as expected.  Flash CC's listing of only 2 out of 3 is, in fact, a bug.  WIth a blank stage and all three fonts (regular, bold, and italic) exported for ActionScript, enumerateFonts traces only two of them (which contradicts your claim that unused items explicitly exported for actionscript can be omitted by the compiler).  Furthermore, as I said, if you add a text field using times new roman regular font to the stage, then enumerateFonts will display bold and regular, but it will omit italic instead.  Again, enumerateFonts arbitrarily displays 2 of the 3 embedded fonts.  That is a bug.  I posted a file to prove it.  Open it in Flash CS6 and Flash CC on Windows and note the differing trace output between the two systems.

Create a library in Flash Pro, export all your symbols, import that into a Flash Builder project and try to flash.utils.getDefinitionByName() on anything you don't explicitly make a reference to in that SWC. See what happens. I'll spare you the effort, it won't exist, because the compiler strips anything that isn't explicitly referenced.

We're not talking about referencing an SWC after the fact.  We're talking about whether "export for actionscript" will force the class to be embedded in the SWC.  In fact, they will exist in the SWC, because anything marked as "export for actionscript" in a Flash (*.fla) project will be force-compiled into the resulting SWC or SWF.  You can examine such a file post-compilation, as I said, in FlashDevelop or any other application and see that it exists.  In my example, all three fonts are present in the compiled SWF, but Font.enumerateFonts in that very same SWF is reporting only 2 of the 3, despite none of them being referenced anywhere.  That's a bug, which does not exist in Flash CS6.  What you're talking about is referencing the already-compiled, already-has-fonts-embeded-in-it SWC in a separate project and not referencing them after the fact, after the SWC has already been compiled to contain the items that were marked "export for actionscript"; that's different.  The "export for actionscript" option tells the compiler to include a class in the compiled SWF.  That's a fact.

You'll find no shortage of workaround solutions around here

They don't work.  Bold and italic tags don't work.  Using an embed tag in ActionScript is not a workaround for a broken UI.  What you're basically saying is "Oh, the Flash IDE for fonts is broken?  Then don't use it!   Use the 'embed' tag to embed the fonts instead."   Your last post is the closest thing so far to an actual acknowledgement that Adobe has in fact change the behavior of font names on the same OS between CS6 and CC by mentioning that "<i> no longer means italic in the specification".   I already know that, which you should you know since I posted a link to the topic in the very post of mine you cited.  The problem is <i> is broken in Flash now, and we're talking about Flash, not HTML5.  The <i> tag no longer has an effect in Flash when the new font names are used; instead, the only way to get them recognized is to use the 'embed' tag to force the regular and italic fonts to share the same family name, otherwise Flash has no way to find the italic version of the current font face.  In other words, the original mechanism is incompatible with the new font name embedding scheme; which is either a terrible design or a bug.  I've already posted a file demonstrating this, here it is again, and the CSS workaround DOES NOT WORK, as I demonstrated in my original post.

We need one of two things to fix this.  First, an explanation from Adobe that this change was intentional and by design with good reason and not something that's going to be fixed in the future.  It's a breaking change, and we cannot update font names throughout thousands of XML page templates if they're not going to work in newer versions of Flash.  Otherwise, it needs acknowledged as a bug that needs fixed.

• 9. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
                          Preran Adobe Employee

Hi James22s22,

If you are convinced this is a bug, please file one with us using the wishlist form along with the reproducible steps.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thanks,

Preran

• 10. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.

on the thread you deleted

Only because reposting almost the same thing multiple times is of course spam. Nobody here has any issue reading your capitalized, keyworded titles.

it's a current issue ... fonts differing between Mac and Windows

Still existing doesn't mean it's not old or well known. The parallel of the old Mac/Windows font issue with how CC is behaving now is the font naming convention is breaking things. Whether it's CC injecting the style and weight into the family name or Mac doing the same thing, the results are the same. Fonts break and nothing works unless you do something about it. In the case of Win/Mac, it was as easy as using the font mappings dialog to solve the issue. In your case, a workaround:

They don't work.  Bold and italic tags don't work ... and the CSS workaround DOES NOT WORK

The workaround suggested never said anything about using <b> or <i>. They all involved adjusting the <font face="..."> or a StyleSheet.fontFamily. Again, not fixing the <b> or <i> tag, just a workaround. And yes, CSS does work just fine:

styleswork.png

Example Source:

http://www.ertp.com/tmp/FLCCEmbedStyles.zip

We're not talking about referencing an SWC after the fact

In projects I would expect you'd keep your libraries orderly if it's a large scale application, but I don't know every single aspect of your project until you clarify. I see your examples directly embed things but the reason I mentioned flash trimming unreferenced classes is it might apply to you. Nothing more than a general warning.

I agree Adobe should explain how these things will be handled in the future, or if it's a bug that will be addressed. I also believe they already have shown that it's not a well known thing to them either in the previously linked thread you responded in. They logged it and never responded back to say if it was actually a bug or a new direction.

For now, you have a couple workarounds.

• 11. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.
                              James22s22 Level 1

Still existing doesn't mean it's not old or well known.

It's old, it may be well known, but I doubt it (what's the adoption rate of Flash CC now?), and it does means its still broken.  That's a problem.  I already filed a bug report at least once.

The parallel of the old Mac/Windows font issue with how CC is behaving now is the font naming convention is breaking things.

No, it's not the same.  Flash CC and Flash CS6 extract different font family names from the same font file on the same machine, causing all existing FLA projects that use embedded fonts to break.  Adobe cannot advertise backwards compatibility with such an intentional change, implied or otherwise, especially considering a CS6 FLA opens in CC without any warning that it will no longer function as expected, which is exactly what we're seeing happen.

The workaround suggested never said anything about using <b> or <i>. They all involved adjusting the <font face="..."> or a StyleSheet.fontFamily. Again, not fixing the <b> or <i> tag, just a workaround.

So b and i tags no longer work, as you clearly demonstrated by not using them in your example.  Using CSS classes like ".bld", is not a workaround, because that doesn't address the issue of having gigs of content that use <i> and <b> tags.  Your workaround is basically "it's broke, start your content over from scratch or change it all to use <span class="bld"> instead of <b>.  Adobe needs to a least post something saying <b> and <i> tags don't work with the new font naming system so people stop using them.  I'm still not convinced this change in behavior was even intentional since it's so wrong.

Basically, as I said in my original post, CSS does not work on the <i> tag, so there is no workaround that allows me to use my existing content which contains <i> tags.  If you alter your example to use the following to set up the CSS:

var styles:StyleSheet = new StyleSheet();
                                             styles.parseCSS(
                                             "p {font-family: Comic Sans MS; font-size: 42;} " +
                                             ".reg {font-family: Sansation Italic; color:#ff0000;} " +
                                             ".bld {font-family:Sansation Bold; color:#00ff00;} " +
                                             ".itl {font-family:Sansation Italic; font-style:italic; color:#0000ff;} " +
                                             "i {font-family:Sansation Italic; font-style:italic; color:#0000ff;}"
                                             );

You'll see that although using <span class='itl'> works, if you change it to <i> the style corresponding to the <i> tag is not applied to the <i> tag.  It makes no sense that I can style a <p> tag, but not an <i> tag.  It's broken.

• 12. Re: Flash CC 13.1.0.226 is BROKEN.  Font's don't work.

font file on the same machine

Haha ok, nuance, but you're right. It's same problem and effect, different machines.

They never claimed backward capability. That's guaranteed. They removed the entire AVM1 (ActionScript 1.0 and 2.0 VM)! They also removed a couple dozen other important things like the Motion Panel (now re-added with a different extension panel), TLFTextFields and a whole bunch of other fundamental differences. At most, if you use nothing new in CC, your CC documents can be opened in CS6 with a nice big warning that it might work if you didn't use any new CC features.

css ...  It's broken

I'd say that about 10 years ago. The HTML and CSS support was always absolute minimum. They made it very clear people are lightly able to depend on these but the real control would come through class-based text formatting. I honestly wonder why TLFTextField wasn't the default TextField and TextField classic was retired. Talk about loss of functionality.. Italic and bold are one thing but not able to use RTL text overall removes entire portions of the world.

I also specifically avoided styling <i> and <b>, already knowing that doesn't work. I realize it's hugely frustrating and I agree, it should be straightened out. What can we do however? We can use a workaround, a product that works for our needs (CS6) or do what you already did:

I already filed a bug report at least once

And that's the most important thing. This has been filed by Staff already and you've also duplicated it as well as posted here. Not much else we can do but hope it's explained or fixed. You've done all the right things.