5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 8:19 AM by D Fosse

Help.. Proofing Adobe RGB (1998) -> Adobe RGB (1998)...

OzOn1969

Hi all, I am pretty new here and trying to find a solution on the forum I couldn't find it. So if anyone could help me out here It would be much appreciated.

The problem I have is that when I create a new photoshop (CS5 or CS6) document and "paint it" whith some colors, they look whashed out when "soft proofing". I use a printing service who like to receive the documents in Adobe RGB colorspace but the prints also look whashed-out. I would like to create some artwork but as it is now, the work is not useable. I must be on the wrong track...

here is my setup to test and reproduce the issue:

- Windows computer with custom monitor profile created with Spyder Elite software v4

- Adobe Photoshop CS6 ( I also have CS5 with the same problem) with Adobe RGB (1998) as the working space

- I create a new document and with the color mode set to RGB and 16 Bit (or 8, this gives me the same problem) and the colorprofile "Working RGB: Adobe RGB (1998). Background contents set to white.

- I Paint the canvas, or document RED (RGB numbers 255,0,0),

- I get an out of Gamut warning in the Color panel

- I soft proof the document with custom settings -> "Device to simulate" Adobe RGB (1998) while preserving RGB numbers (or not, it doesn't matter in this case)

- The document looks completele orange and when I click the little warning triangle, the RGB values revert to 198,51,53...

This colorshift happens with other colors as well logically, so I must be the idiot here.

When I soft proof with my personal printers paper profile (an Epson R2880) the colors are good... the out-of Gamut warning remains though.

I realy tried to solve this problem myself reading several tutorials and other forum posts but wasn't succesful yet to solve the issue... Can anyone shine some light in the darkness I find myself..?

Thanks in advance, Patrick

• 1. Re: Help.. Proofing Adobe RGB (1998) -> Adobe RGB (1998)...
          Level 1

Send RGB image files (especially Adobe RGB [1998]) to a printer only if the shop has experience converting RGB files to CMYK — and then only if the printer will provide a "random" or a contract proof. If a printer has a clear understanding of ICC profiles and requests RGB, it's best to submit files in Adobe RGB (1998), or possibly, the narrower-gamut ColorMatch RGB. European printers may prefer ECI-RGB. If a printer cannot ensure preservation of the embedded profile before converting to CMYK, it is better to provide files converted to a general-purpose profile, such as SWOP Coated V2 CMYK, ColorMatch RGB or sRGB, with the appropriate profile embedded in the image file.

• 2. Re: Help.. Proofing Adobe RGB (1998) -> Adobe RGB (1998)...
            OzOn1969 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Atiqur and I understand what you mean. But how can I proof my documents and make sure they are printed like I create and see them. What's there to do with the gamut warning?

• 3. Re: Help.. Proofing Adobe RGB (1998) -> Adobe RGB (1998)...
              Level 1

First off, did you read the out-of-gamut color page? If not, you may want to read it. Here is a short explanation of what out-of-gamut colors.

A gamut is the range of colors that a color device can display or print. A color that may be displayed on your monitor in RGB may not be printable in the gamut of your CMYK printer. For instance, the nice blue on your monitor that prints as purple.

Open a copy of your image.

2. Choose View -> Gamut Warning.
              All pixels that fall outside of that particular profile’s gamut will be highlighted.

gamutwarn-menu.jpg

• 4. Re: Help.. Proofing Adobe RGB (1998) -> Adobe RGB (1998)...
                OzOn1969 Level 1

Yuup, I read the article and some others, but I must be a complete tool... My basic question remains...

Can I paint 255.0.0 Red in a Adobe RGB (1998) document and proof it With the custom setting Adobe RGB (1998) and see the red in 255.0.0 because untill now I can't.

When I proof the document I see a pale orange color, clicking "out of gamut" warning in the color panel gives me the numbers of the color I see on my screen wich is 198.51.53 while having "proof colors" selected...

Please be patient with me...

• 5. Re: Help.. Proofing Adobe RGB (1998) -> Adobe RGB (1998)...
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First: If you already have an Adobe RGB file there's no point at all in soft proofing to Adobe RGB - it's the same profile, so nothing happens.

Second: Unless you have a wide gamut display, what you see on-screen is already clipped to your display color space (close to sRGB). You can't see that Adobe RGB 255,0,0 anyway, so proofing is again pointless.

Even if you do have a wide gamut display the primaries are slightly shifted, so the Adobe RGB 255,0,0 is most likely still out of display gamut.

The principle of proofing can be described as source profile > proof profile > display profile (the actual mechanism is different, but it's a good way to visualize what happens). Whichever one of these three profiles has the narrowest gamut will limit the whole thing.