5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 10:07 AM by A.T. Romano

Text Artifacting After Transition

CanrigTW

I'm trying to put together a short, proof-of-concept video for a project at work and I'm having a little trouble with text & titles. I've got a short, animated intro scene with the company log, followed by a title page using the Default Text element. After the title page, there's a "before you begin" page of text (with a cross-dissolve between the two), followed by a "required equipment" page of text (again with a cross-dissolve). All of this works swimmingly.

Following the third text page (the "required equipment" page), the live video begins (with, you guessed it, a cross-dissolve between the final text page and the live video clip). Very briefly during this last dissolve, the text from the original title page flashes on-screen. It lasts maybe a tenth of a second, but it's very noticeable. I've tried deleting and re-adding all of the clips and transitions, but it's still there.

Any ideas what's going on here, and/or how to fix it? Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Text Artifacting After Transition
          A.T. Romano Level 7

CanrigTW

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

ATR

• 2. Re: Text Artifacting After Transition
            CanrigTW Level 1

Whoops...knew I was forgetting something important. Premiere Elements 12 running on Win7.

• 3. Re: Text Artifacting After Transition
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CanrigTW

Thanks for the additional info.

Are you sure that all your transitions are placing as "Between Clips" rather than "Left Clip" or "Right Clip" alignment. For the video transition (Cross Dissolve) probably yes to that question. But just checking.

There are opportunities to make adjustments in the Transition Adjustments pop up (double click the transition placed at the Timeline level.). Also see clicking on the More button in the Transition Adjustment area.

transitions.JPG

But the key to all this may be in the fact that you are dealing with a Cross Dissolve between still and video.

Expand the Timeline content with the -+ slider above the Timeline and trim off one to a few frames at the beginning of the video. Then apply the Cross Dissolve between the still and trimmed video and see what that looks like.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Text Artifacting After Transition
                CanrigTW Level 1

Doh! When I zoomed WAY in on the Timeline, I found a little tiny scene crammed in there that shouldn't have been there. Looks like a remnant from an earlier cut & paste operation. Deleting it solved my problem.

Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: Text Artifacting After Transition
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CanrigTW

Great news. Great job.

Those leftovers from clip fragments can be very problematic in the project, often at export.

Typically they present as thin vertical black line scattered about the Timeline track content.

Continued success.

ATR