17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 6:00 PM by A.T. Romano

I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.

Scott Harden

As of recent I have started to create content for a youtube channel. I'll generally play games and add commentary. I use the recording system Playclaw 5. I have it set up to record in 1920x1080 and compress it into an avi file. I have been using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for video editing. Whenever I import my video into APrE11 my video playback becomes choppy. The audio will tend to desync also. I'm wondering is there is anything I can do to fix some of these issues. While reading throush some of the manuals it reccomended that I look for the "Desktop Display Mode section" while looking through the Playback settings yet I cannot seem to find it.

Recap:

Recording software- Playclaw 5 @ 1920x1080, 29.97 fps, .avi file

Editing software- Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Problem 1. Choppy playback

Problem 2. Desynced audio

Question 1. What are the proper project settings I should be using (when starting the project)?

Question 2. What can I do to to fix the choppy playback?

Question 3. What can be done about the desynced audio?

• 1. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is a wrapper... what is inside YOUR wrapper?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Now that you have your video DETAILS available, check to see if you have a video file with a Variable FRAME Rate

IF YES, you will most likely need to find a program to convert to a CONSTANT Frame Rate to edit in Premiere Elements

• 2. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
            Scott Harden Level 1

It appears to me that the CODEC is MJPG and that I have it installed.

Screenshot (10).png

What is the best way to check if a video file has a variable frame rate?

• 3. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott Harden

I cannot read your screenshot data even when clicked on for the enlarged view. What were they supposed to be presenting?

If you do not know the settings and specifications of your recorder, the MediaInfo (Tree View) Video Properties section should include frame rate. If a variable frame rate exists, there will be a medium frame rate as well as a min and max one given. I would go that route to get that type of information.

If you are looking for "Playback Settings", right click the Edit area monitor and select Playback Settings from the choices in the pop up menu.

While you are checking out MediaInfo for variable frame rate possibility, please also check to determine if you are working with interlaced or progressive video.

1. Where is the video choppy, before or after export or both?

a. If you are recording 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, then your project preset should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

b. When you are viewing choppy video in the Edit area monitor, are you looking at the rendered or unrendered Timeline content....is there an orange line of that content while you are doing the viewing of the play back? If orange, press the Render button to render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing. It also might correct the seemingly out of sync audio.

c. As for out of sync audio, what are the bitrate settings for the recorder? They might need adjustments at that end before the video gets into Premiere Elements 11.

2. Have you gotten to exporting this Timeline content yet?

3. What type of .avi file are you using? Can we assume that it is MotionJPEG.avi? Please confirm that video compression. Why did you install the MotionJPEG codec - that choppy video look, you were not getting any video display, other?

The details that you supply will help me to customize my response to what you need to more forward with your projects.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                Scott Harden Level 1

1.When viewing my screenshops right-click and open in a new tab, from there you should be able to zoom properly and see the information for both of my screens.

Screenshot (1).png

2.On the left you can see the tree view of MediaInfo

On the right you can see GSpot information on the same video file.

3.When I find the Playback settings i am unable to find "Desktop Display Mode section"

4. Where do I find if I am dealing with Progressive or Interlaced video?

5a. Throughout all stages my video ends up choppy. When I import the video it is choppy and when I publish the video it is also choppy.

5b. I do have the orange line over my video but whenever I click the "render" button it begins playing my video and nothing appears to change.

• 5. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott Harden

.When viewing my screenshops right-click and open in a new tab, from there you should be able to zoom properly and see the information for both of my screens.

Not the case, but managed to do the best to get the information that i needed.

That MediaInfo (Tree View) should have included a field named Scan Type: followed by Interlaced or Progressive. I saw no such field. If interlaced, there should have been another field named Scan Order: followed by Top Field First or Bottom Field First. Not found. For now, I am assuming that  you have MotionJPEG.avi (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second). We might get some round about confirmation on interlaced vs progressive from brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video. Or in your case, the User Manual for the PlayClaw 5

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/237370/manuals/v5-manual-en.pdf?t=1397902021

Since I did not see a min and max frame rate, I am assuming that your video is characterized by a constant frame rate of 29.97 frames per second.

If you have not already, please consider....

a. Open a new Premiere Elements 11 project to the Expert workspace

b. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

c. In Change Settings area, select the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Before exiting that area, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" (in last dialog "new project dialog").

d. Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your video into Project Assets from where you will drag it to the Timeline.

Is there an orange line over that Timeline content?

Let us pause here and review the results for same, better, worse.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                    Scott Harden Level 1

This is the complete MediaInfo tree view just incase we missed something

General

Complete Name: J:\Youtube videos\Nonspecific games\roguelegacy_2014-02-22\roguelegacy_2014-04-22_14-17-19.avi

Format: AVI

Format\Info: Audio Video Interleave

Format profile: OpenDML

File size: 2.18 GiB

Durration: 8mn 7s

Overal bit rate: 38.3 Mbps

Writing library AVI AVI AVI AVI

Video

ID: 0

Format: JPEG

Codec ID: MJPG

Duration: 8mn 7s

Bit rate: 38.3 Mbps

Width: 1 920 pixels

Height: 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio: 16:9

Frame rate: 29.970 fps

Color space: YUV

Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0

Bit depth: 8 bits

Compression mode: Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame): 0.617

Steam size: 2.18 GiB (100%)

There are no other fields in this view.

I created a new project based on your instructions and there is an orange line over both the audio and video.

• 7. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>CODEC is MJPG and that I have it installed

Which MJPEG codec do you have installed?

MJPEG http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396 may help

• 8. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott Harden

Thanks for the comprehensive account of your video. Very helpful.

You wrote

I created a new project based on your instructions and there is an orange line over both the audio and video.

In spite of that, before and after rendering that Timeline was there any change in the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor?

Another point, if you changed the manually set project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

Did the imported video arrive on the Timeline without the orange line over its content?

If you were forced into a batch conversion situation with this video, how many files would need conversion? Right now I am thinking HandBrake vs MPEG Streamclip with a target H.264.mp4 instead of MotionJPEG.avi.

More on that later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                          Scott Harden Level 1

I do not believe that I have installed any specific MJPG codecs. I based that statement off of using GSpot.

I uploaded the file into GSpot and in the top right hand corner it said

Codec:MJPG

Name: Motion JPEG

I am unsure to which type of MJPG codec it is.

• 10. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                            Scott Harden Level 1

There appeared to be no change to the choppy video and desynced audio when converting to the settings.

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

When starting another project on the settings

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

The audio and video both have the orange line again when imported.

When I click the "render" button it appears only to play the video.

I don't know if I was forced into a batch conversion or not.

Nothing poped up and no error message was displayed.

How would I know if I was forced into a batch conversion?

On another note I should be the one thanking you for your follow ups haha

So thank you for taking your time to help me with my issue.

• 11. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott Harden

The only MotionJPEG codec that I have dealt successfully with over the years has been the Morgan MotionJPEG codec

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

The typical recommendation in the MotionJPEG codec situations is to use the utility that came with the camera to obtain the necessary codec. I doubt if your PlayClaw5 recorder came with such a utility, but you can check nonetheless.

ATR

• 12. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                                Scott Harden Level 1

I downloaded the Morgan MotionJPEG codec just incase.

I figured it wouldn't hurt me if I did.

While looking through both the user manual and .txt files for Playclaw 5 I did not see any mention of a specific codec that they use.

• 13. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott

Check out page 3 of the User Manual

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/237370/manuals/v5-manual-en.pdf?t=1397902021

It shows MotionJPEG in the Video Codec field in the Encoder dialog.

ATR

• 14. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                                    Scott Harden Level 1

I see that the codec is indeed MJPEG.

What I meant by my previous statement was that I am unsure whether the MJPEG codec is Morgan Multimedia or Mainconcept.

I found no information defining in depth which type of MJPEG codec it is.

Just to get a better understanding of where I am at in the process.

1. My video file has a constant framerate? The issues are not caused by variable framerate?

2.  According to GSpot I have the proper codec installed for the particular file, is this no longer an issue of codecs (unless APrE11 doesn't support it)?

3. Could the issues be caused by Accelerated GPU Effects?

Thank you again.

• 15. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott

There are no GPU effects in Premiere Elements 12.

Apparently Morgan and Mainconcept are two different companies dealing in video codecs.

Since it is the quickest to put into use, how about trying to convert one of your MotionJPEG.avi into H.264.mp4, using HandBrake.

http://handbrake.fr/

I would not go for anything elaborate in the way of settings at this time...just conversion from MotionJPEG.avi with whatever the format is for the audio to H.264.mp4 with AAC audio. Do you need any input into the HandBrake Tabs settings.

Source - I set in "seconds"

Destination usually set for desktop

Output Settings/Container .Mp4

Video Tab/Video Codec = H.264/x264; Frame Rate (FPS) = 29.97; dot the Constant for Frame Rate.

Hit Start button at top left of interface and then wait for the progress bar to bottom left of interface to show Queue Finished.

ATR

• 16. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                                        Scott Harden Level 1

"There are no GPU effects in Premiere Elements 12."

I don't have PrE12 I have PrE11

I converted the file using Handbrake. The audio was still desynced and the video was still a bit jerky.

In an effort to find out if the issues were from Playclaw 5 I started to mess around with  some of the settings.

Originally I had been saving directly onto my hard drive but recently I started recording my videos to my external hard drive.

If you refer back to some of my earlier posts I stated that these issues have been occuring only of recent.

Knowing this I changed my setting back to where it would save directly to my hard drive and I started to record some videos in games I have having know issues with. When I imported the new videos into PrE11 the audio desync and video jerk seemed to go away. I have yet to actualy publish the video so I don't know how the end result is but I believe that thiis may have been the issue.

Could my issues be caused by recording a video directly onto my external hard drive?

• 17. Re: I'm having difficulty with choppy playback.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Scott Harden

Great job. Especially if it turns out that the recording of the original to an external hard drive was the determining factor for your Premiere Elements issues.

I do not know that one can generalize

Could my issues be caused by recording a video directly onto my external hard drive?

USB 3.0 or other connection and spin speed 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm and other setup aspects could go into the can and cannot do. I have seen recommendations for recording to external hard drive and also others recommending to hard drive.

We will be watching for your further observations on the outcome.

But, sounding good.

ATR