2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 7:16 AM by starcom11

Photo Enlargement

starcom11

I am trying to figure out the best way to enlarge my older JPG's. They are at 180 ppi. I would like to enlarge to 20 x 14.

I have been taught years ago, the best way to enlarge is to upsample 110% at a time till reaching desired size and crop for the finishing touch.

Just recently upgraded to PS CC and noticed a new feature to me. I can enlarge from the image size dialog window and upsample with sharpness and noise reduction in a one shot deal.

What will yield the best results? Down size image to 300 ppi and upscale 110% at a time till desired size or use the one shot deal in image size dialog box?

I'm sure it is a simple solution to most, but I am kind of baffled with the new PS CC. I take my prints down to a print shop and it is getting expensive trying to find the best method which will give me the sharpest print.

Would appreciate any insight into this dilemma I am having!

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Photo Enlargement
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Step upsampling isn't really all that valid any more.  All it ever really did was enhance noise and make false texture.

In Photoshop CC, I find this to be about the best method: 

Image - Image Size, then change check the Resample box, and choose the Preserve Details (enlargement) resampling setting.  I think you'll find it will improve the feeling of sharpness and quality in your upsampled JPEGs.

But I really suggest trying different techniques for yourself, making prints or whatever, and judging for yourself the look YOU like best.

Have fun.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Photo Enlargement
            starcom11 Level 1

Noel:

Thank you for rapid reply:)

I just upgraded a week ago to PS CC and I am trying re-learn PS CC. I started with PS 4.0 and stopped at PS CS5. Now seeing all the new features in CC I really missed the boat! Maybe its my age;)

I will play with the new image re-size as you mentioned and perfect it. PS is the most amazing number chruncher! Now if I can tame the beast once again:)

Truly appreciate your input!

Have a Great Day:)

Alex