5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 8:58 AM by Steve Grisetti

Project Timeline Shows Black Screen But Video is Showing.  But When I convert to Mp4, Problem Exists

wadeen

Dear Assistance,

I have a project opened.

I can see the video timeline.

Most of the timeline contains images of the video.

There is a section in the middle where the timeline shows nothing but black (where the images should go).

However, when I play that section that is black (while in the project), I see the video.

But, when I convert the project into a AVCHD Mp4 format, I don't see the part that is black anymore.   I only see the parts where video was  visibile in the project timeline.

Why is it doing this?

How can I make sure that when I conver the project into an Mp4 format that it will show ALL of the video in the project (even that part that is black on the timeline - again when I view that black part in project mode, I can watch the video, it plays).

Thank you,

Ben

bens411@gmail.com

• 1. Re: Project Timeline Shows Black Screen But Video is Showing.  But When I convert to Mp4, Problem Exists
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you talking about the clips on your timeline? By default, they will display only the first and last frame of the video clip. This is to save your computer having to constantly re-render all those individual frames. It doesn't mean that the middle of the clip is blank.

if you'd prefer to see every frame displayed, you can toggle through the various clip displays by clicking on the little filmstrip icon on the track headers, to the left of the timeline in Expert view.

• 2. Re: Project Timeline Shows Black Screen But Video is Showing.  But When I convert to Mp4, Problem Exists
            wadeen Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I am talking about the clips on my timeline.

My timeline shows many clips (not just the first and last frame).  But for

some unknown reason it is showing the color "black" for a portion of clips

in the middle.  Not all the middle clips, just a portion (about 12).

And, when I converted the project into an Mp4 file to export, those "black

portions" remained black.  I could not hear or see anything for those

portions, when I viewed it on the Mp4 file.   However, when I click play

on those "black" portions on the timeline (in the project file), I see a

large video screen  with video and I can hear it.

So, why is this only showing in the project file, but not in the Mp4 file?

And how can I fix this?

Thank you,

Ben

• 3. Re: Project Timeline Shows Black Screen But Video is Showing.  But When I convert to Mp4, Problem Exists

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, Ben.

Are you saying that the video you've from your camcorder has a blank section in the middle when you play the timeline? Or are you saying that when you output an MP4 from the program, that MP4 has a blank section in the middle -- or both?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Which version of the program are you using and on what operating system?

Have you ensured that your computer has the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

• 4. Re: Project Timeline Shows Black Screen But Video is Showing.  But When I convert to Mp4, Problem Exists
                wadeen Level 1

You are sending me down rabbit holes with all your questions, and yes you

are misunderstanding.  Please read carefully.

No, the raw, original source video has no black sections.  It is all

video.  And, I never said blanks, I said black.

But, when I see it on the project timeline in project file of v12 of

premeire elements, there is a portion of black images in the timeline video

clips section.

One would think there is nothing there.  However, when you click play

(while in the project file) that black section actually has video and audio

(which you can hear and see, as in the video display that shows directly

above the timeline.

Yet, when I create the Mp4 from this project file, the black section (from

the timeline) carries over.  Unlike when I watch the project (and see video

and hear audio in this portion that is black on the video timeline clip), I

cannot see or hear   in the  mp4 video.

This is Windwos 8.   yes, I have the latest windows media player.

• 5. Re: Project Timeline Shows Black Screen But Video is Showing.  But When I convert to Mp4, Problem Exists

This is where I'm getting confused, wadeen.

You say "when I see it on the project timeline in project file of v12 of premeire elements, there is a portion of black images in the timeline video clips section." And then you say "however, when you click play (while in the project file) that black section actually has video and audio."

So where are you seeing the "black images in the timeline video clips section"?

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline to this forum so I can see what you're trying to describe?