10 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 9:58 AM by MacRover

Indesign CS3

MacRover Level 1

I've been using this software for some time now. I have been stumped when I created "type on a path". I created type around the edge of a CD Disk. The type would only go clock-wise around the disk. I experimented with transform-rotate and flip horizontal and flip vertical; none of which resulted in what I wanted.

What I wanted was to type "counter-clockwise" on the edge of the disc design. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks in advance for your help.

MACROVER

• 1. Re: Indesign CS3
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Select it withthe Direct Select tool (white arrow), then fine the little handle in the middle taht looks like a "T" and drag it to the other side of the path.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS3
            MacRover Level 1

I did what you instructed twice. Everytime I did it; the text went outside the line; even when I did it very carefully. How can I make it go inside the line again? Thanks.

MacRover

• 3. Re: Indesign CS3

MacRover wrote:

Everytime I did it; the text went outside the line; even when I did it very carefully.

Yes, because you've put it onthe opposite side of the path. Either make the path smaller, or change the alignment in the text on a path options, or add some baseline shift.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS3
                MacRover Level 1

Thank you very much. Got it. It worked! Appreciate it very much.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS3
                  MacRover Level 1

You are an Indesign 3 expert. May I trouble you for Indesign 3 again?  In creating a circle on a background of black; I want to make the circumference line of the circle "thick white"--where do I make this adjustment? Thanks again and God bless you.

• 6. Re: Indesign CS3
                    Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the object and make sure the Stroke panel is open (Window>Stroke). Select the size and make it Paper color.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS3
                      MacRover Level 1

Your show and sweet reply, if I was an expert would look to me as very simple but when I go and select the object and open the stroke window; I see "weight" "Miter limit","cap", "join", "type", "start" "end", "gap Color", "gap tint" and played with all of them and I could not make the circumference "THICK WHITE", I could only make the inside of the circle solid "black" or solid "white but I can not make the circumference line "Thick White Line"

• 8. Re: Indesign CS3
                        MacRover Level 1

Peter Spier,

What about this: In creating a circle on a background of black; I want to make the circumference line of the circle "thick white"--where do I make this adjustment?I opened the stroke panel and played around with the stroke panel window; where I saw "weight" "Miter limit","cap", "join", "type", "start" "end", "gap Color", "gap tint" and played with all of them and I could not make the circumference "THICK WHITE", I could only make the inside of the circle solid "black" or solid "white but I can not make the circumference line "Thick White Line" Thanks again and God bless all you Indesign 3 experts for all your help.

• 9. Re: Indesign CS3

There are two color proxies, one for the fill and one for the stroke of an object. You'll find them at the bottom of the Toolbox and in the upper left corner of the Swatches and Color palettes. The fill proxy is solid, the stroke is like a square donut. To make the stroke white you need to both set a weight in the Stroke palette, AND select the stroke proxy in one of those locations so it is in front of the fill proxy, then choose the [Paper] swatch.

• 10. Re: Indesign CS3
                            MacRover Level 1

Thank you again, Peter Spier for your detailed explanation.Such an answer educates those among us who are beginners and not even educated in terminology: for instance your explanation in another email of yours about the correct term used for thickness (which is really the layman's term) in Indesign is "weight"---for most of us we know that as what we see when we go on a scale. Thanks and God bless.