4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2014 9:59 AM by kdshryer

After Effects CS6 is not utilizing machines RAM

kdshryer Level 1

My Problem: I originally had a 57+ second clip in Premiere Pro. The clip is a DPX sequence. I created a dynamic link with Ae. I then saved the Ae project as a new project incase I messed up the original. From there I started cloning to erase an unwanted artifact. It was a total of 750+ frames that I cleaned up within the 57 second clip. Everything looks great. I began rendering to .mov with the default Best Render Settings and Lossless Output Module. Ae is stating that only 8% of my 16GB of RAM is being used. The render is speedy through the first 33 seconds of the clip (takes less than two minutes). Then it bogs down and tkaes 30-45 minutes to render one frame.

What I've already attempted: I ensured the preferences were set to a max of 13GB of RAM and 3 CPUs available for Ae. Tried opening the new Ae project with a dynamic link in PrPro and rendering there. Everything bogs down, nearly freezing up. What am I doing incorrectly?!

My Hardware: iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2010 | 1TB SATA Disk as Startup | 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5 | 16 GB 13333 MHz DDR3 | ATI Radeon HG 5670 512 MB | 4 TB G-RAID G-Technology HD as scratch disk, 1.79 TB available,  Firewire800 connection

My Software: OS X 10.9.2 | Adobe After Effects 11.0.4.2

• 1. Re: After Effects CS6 is not utilizing machines RAM
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Ae is stating that only 8% of my 16GB of RAM is being used.

Ignore that. That is only telling you how much RAM the foreground application is using at startup. That does not tell you how much RAM is being used by the image cahces and the background processes.

> Tried opening the new Ae project with a dynamic link in PrPro and rendering there.

Why would you do that? That is only going to make things slower. Premiere Pro is calling a headless version of After Effects to do the rendering, and the headless version can't use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing, GPU acceleration, etc.

> The render is speedy through the first 33 seconds of the clip (takes less than two minutes). Then it bogs down and tkaes 30-45 minutes to render one frame.

Does your composition change from being simple to complex at that point?

What happens if you turn of Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

• 2. Re: After Effects CS6 is not utilizing machines RAM
            kdshryer Level 1

Will try turning off Multiple Frames and will answer other questions tomorrow. Have other job tonight. Thank you.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS6 is not utilizing machines RAM
              kdshryer Level 1

> Ae is stating that only 8% of my 16GB of RAM is being used.

I know you said to ignore this, but now that I have turned off "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously", Ae says 50% of RAM is being used. Just curious why it would change.

> Tried opening the new Ae project with a dynamic link in PrPro and rendering there.

This was the first thing I tried. I just assumed it would render normally with a dynamic link. I haven't used Ae much.

Does your composition change from being simple to complex at that point?

It starts to get complex right before the 14 second mark. I don't know why 33 seconds is the magic number to bog down on. Each time I have tried rendering, the machine makes it a few more frames down the timeline before slowing down. Right now its stuck at 0:00:33:13, yesterday it was 33:10.

What happens if you turn of Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

Like I said above, 40-50% of RAM is being used and it slowed down at the same area.

It is still making progess as I type this respone. It rendered one frame. So I'll let it keep working for now. Thank you for your time & help.

• 4. Re: After Effects CS6 is not utilizing machines RAM
                kdshryer Level 1

I still haven't made it beyond the 0:00:33:13 wall. Anyone have any similar problems or suggestions?