7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 6:34 AM by A.T. Romano

Video Merge with PE 10

NWilson Level 1

Hi can you VideoMerge with PE 10 upgrade version? I am asking about 10 because i am not hearing positive things about PE 12 and so am looking for an older version. I basically just need to do keying (green screen/ video over still image/ backdrop) Please help!

• 1. Re: Video Merge with PE 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

NWilson

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on?

Videomerge is available in Premiere Elements 10 Windows. I am not a fan of Videomerge. And, if you tell me you are interested in Green Screen, then I ask you why Videomerge when you have available Keying Effects such as ChromaKey and Green Screen Key?

Now if your Premiere Elements 10 is on a Mac computer, that is limiting your choices in this task since ChromaKey, Green Screen Key, and Blue Screen Key are not offered to the Premiere Elements 10 Mac user. But, Videomerge is offered to them. Even then I would ask you to look at the Difference Matte for the task before considering Videomerge.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-difference-matte-as-substitute-for.html

Please review and consider. If any question and need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video Merge with PE 10
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, I have to put in a plug for versions 11 and 12, which have taken Premiere Elements some major steps -- particularly in terms of project setup, file compatibility and overall stability. About the only reason I can think of for sticking with version 10 is if you like the old interface.

But, again, as ATR indicates, there is also the operating system to consider.

• 3. Re: Video Merge with PE 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I prefer to troubleshoot and not editorialize on Premiere Elements issues.

However, after spending hours this afternoon on an unresolved Premiere Elements 12 installation/reinstallation, it was painful to read

I have to put in a plug for versions 11 and 12, which have taken Premiere Elements some major steps -- particularly in terms of project setup, file compatibility and overall stability

From my current and past history with Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12, major considerations include "will I be able to install it" and "if I uninstall it, will I ever be able to reinstall it again?"

There are serious issues in these areas which make earlier versions shine.

ATR

• 4. Re: Video Merge with PE 10
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I really beg to disagree, ATR. In my experience, versions 11 and 12 are a much more stable and powerful editing experience than the old (versions 7-10) interface.

But you're right. This is not the place to debate this.

I merely wanted to point out that online reviews can be misleading because you only hear about the bad experiences and rarely hear about the new. And I do encourage the original poster to not discount version 12 outright based on some postings asking for help.

And now I'll stay out of the discussion. You're right. It doesn't help the poster with his current challenges with version 10.

• 5. Re: Video Merge with PE 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

My comments are directed at Premiere Elements 12, not 11, and the issues of installation and reinstallation.

As long as you can get a successful install of 12 and never have to reinstall it, fine. And, the 12 editing experience is fine, essentially similar to 11.

But, NWilson wrote

I am asking about 10 because i am not hearing positive things about PE 12 and so am looking for an older version.

So, I wrote of the factors that you would not likely encounter in a marketing situation. NWilson can check out the following unbias First Look and Daily Discoveries posts to sort out the positive from the negative aspects of the version 12  according to his/her video editing needs.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/premiere-elements-12-first-look-details.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

And, there is always the free 30 day tryout which would be a must before purchase thoughts.

What works for NWilson in his/her computer environment should be the final answer.

ATR

• 6. Re: Video Merge with PE 10
                    NWilson Level 1

ATR,

Thankyou for your helpful reply.

Allow me to rephrase what i was asking as I may have used the wrong jargon, so maybe it would be easier to just say what i am hoping to achieve.

I have a PC with Windows 7 and I need to be able to place a still image/ backdrop behind my 7 minute video.

Please can you recommend a suitable software package for this project.

Thankyou for your time

• 7. Re: Video Merge with PE 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

NWilson

Thanks for the reply.

Videomerge as well as the keying effects of Chroma Key, Green Screen Key, and Blue Screen Key are available in Premiere Elements 10 or 12 on Windows. Either of those programs can accomplish what you stated as your goal.

If you have Premiere Elements 10 installation files or installation disc, then install them and give the task that you describe a try. If you think that you need more features than what comes with Premiere Elements 10, then take a look at the free 30 day tryout of version 12 from Adobe in order to determine if the program is compatible with your computer environment and video editing needs.

In view of your interests in green screen, I am not sure if

a. you have prepared green screen video and want to have the person or object in it on a new background

or

b. you are looking for a Picture In Picture effect.

If you need a how to on either of those, I will post details for doing that for Premiere Elements 10 or 12 or both.

Please review and then let us know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR