4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 7:37 AM by A.T. Romano

slideshow with multiple images on the screen at once

WickG0ld98

I’m trying to create a graduation slideshow in Premiere Elements 11 that mixes both still photos and video.  I can handle the video portion just fine (I think!), but I’m struggling to get the photos to do what I want.

I would like five photos (and a text field) to individually phase in and remain visible on a black “slide”.  Once all five photos are visible, I intend to transition to the next “slide” with five new photos.  What is the best way to go about doing this?  I’ve searched for a couple of hours and can’t seem to find anything that explains what I’m trying to do.  The best I can come up with is to create a title slide, and plop each of the five photos and text on top of it, then transition to another title slide and repeat.

I did this same project last year, and I created the “slides” in PowerPoint, and then exported the animated show as a .wmv.  From there, I imported them into Premiere to combine with the video footage.  I can probably do that again this year, but I was hoping there was a simple way to accomplish the same thing in Premiere. 

Thanks in advance!

Ginger Wick

• 1. Re: slideshow with multiple images on the screen at once
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What you're trying to do is pretty high level, Ginger, and it involves a lot of keyframing animations for position and scale and multiples tracks of video.

Unless you understand and are comfortable with these tools and techniques, it might be a good idea to attempt something a little simpler (or plan on taking several days or even a couple of weeks to master these techniques).

• 2. Re: slideshow with multiple images on the screen at once
            WickG0ld98 Level 1

Shoot, I was hoping it was something simple and that I just couldn't find it.  I guess I'll do it in PowerPoint again, and then integrate it with video in Premiere. Thanks for your answer!!

• 3. Re: slideshow with multiple images on the screen at once
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, give some of the InstantMovie Themes a chance. Although they don't give you as much control as keyframing motion properties, they do make for some fun and interesting movies -- and all you do is provide the slides or video and let the program create the movie!

• 4. Re: slideshow with multiple images on the screen at once
                A.T. Romano Level 7

WickGIkd98

I have something for you to consider. It does not involve any user keyframing, but just a lot of details for what could be an interesting "Picture In Picture" effect. The following is the How To. If necessary, I will post a link to what the end result might look (via YouTube).

This presentation will use a simple model with five scenic photos to demonstrate some basic principles on which you can build. The idea here will be to have a the main photo spin in to the center from the top, followed by one at a time placement (appearance, non spin in) of a photo in the lower left, lower right, upper left, upper right, and concluding with all 5 photos displayed for a designated amount of time.

We start by setting up the Timeline with:

Our background, in this case a blue color matte, on Video Track 1.

And

A Photo on each of Video Track 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6

To make it easier to follow what is going on at this stage, we stagger (train look) the position of the photo on each of the tracks with respect to one another.

In the Expert workspace (assuming you are using Premiere Elements 11 or 12), we click on the fx Effects Tab, set the category to Presets, and get to PiPs by clicking Show All and selecting PIPs from the drop down list.

The PiPs category contains numerous options, offering simple placement as well as placement involving Scale In or Out, Spin In or Out, or Slide In or Out. We will go the simple placement route for photos on Video Tracks 3, 4, 5, and 6 and use Spin In for our Video Track 2 photo which we will use as our center photo.

We highlight the photo on Video Track 3

We select the 25% LL (lower left)

We drag the 25% LL into the highlighted photo on Video Track 3.

In a similar manner, we apply a particular PIP 25% effect to photo on each of Video Track 4, 5, and 6

Video Track 4, 25% LR (lower right)

Video Track 5, 25% UL (upper left)

Video Track 6, 25% UR (upper right)

Now we highlight the photo on Video Track 2

And, apply the PIP 25% UR Spin In

We move the Timeline Indicator at a spot on the Timeline where the Monitor shows the final resting point for the placed PIP 25% UR Spin In, click on the image in the Monitor to bring up the photo’s bounding box, and then drag the image to the center position.

Now it is time to put things together.

With the mouse cursor, we drag the photo file on Video Track 2 to the start of the Timeline. We then move the images on Video Tracks 3, 4, 5, and 6 so that they start 2, 4, 6, and 8 seconds respectively from the start of the Timeline. A handy way to do this is utilizing the timecode field below the Monitor and left and right arrow keys of the computer keyboard.

Then, with the mouse cursor, we drag the ends of the images on Video Tracks  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 so that they all end at the same Timeline time.

Some Finishing Touches are the last steps.

1. Adjusting Photo positions. We place the Timeline Indicator at a position on the Timeline where all five photos are displayed together in their final stationery position in the Monitor. If necessary, we click on one photo at a time in the Monitor to bring up its bounding box for repositioning and resizing. (Make sure that the correct  video track photo is selected.)

1. Applying Additional Effects. Consider going to Presets category and applying one of the Drop Shadows or Bevel Edges options. We applied Drop Shadows to each of photos on Video Tracks 3, 4, 5, and 6 and Bevel Edges to photo on Video Track 2. Also, check out the variations on these effects that can be achieved in the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/and expanded panel for the applied effect.

Now let us see what all this looks like after our finishing touches. If you try it, please let us know how easy or not so easy the instructions were to follow and if it worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR