0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 1:39 PM by Adnama

Problem deleting cross-references: Deleted cross-references do not convert to correct text

Adnama

This helpful page states that, "When you delete a cross-reference, the source cross-reference is converted to text."

I use InDesign to create user's manuals, which are full of cross-referenced page numbers.

The cross-references are all internal to a single document, they do not link to other documents. Each cross-reference is linked to paragraph text and the cross-reference format is Page Number.

I find that whenever I delete a cross-reference, the cross-reference does convert to text; however, the text—which in this case is a page number—is wrong.

For example, this sentence is on page 16:

"You can measure your heart rate using either the handgrip heart rate monitor or an optional chest heart rate monitor (see page 21 for information about the optional chest heart rate monitor.)"

Screenshot:

Before.png

However, when I delete the cross reference, the sentence now reads:

"You can measure your heart rate using either the handgrip heart rate monitor or an optional chest heart rate monitor (see page 16 for information about the optional chest heart rate monitor.)"

Screenshot:

After.png

Now, to my mind, the cross-reference should have converted to the text "21," since that is what the cross-reference said (and it is the correct page number for the optional heart rate monitor text that is being referred to).

Instead, the cross-reference converted to the text "16," which is the number of the page that the sentence is actually on, but is most definitely not what the cross-reference said and is not the correct page number to boot.

Do any of you know the reason this happens?

Is there a way to make the text convert to the correct page number when the cross-reference is deleted?