11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 4:12 PM by Amy Blankenship

Reset grid origin

Amy Blankenship Level 4

Is there a way to edit the grid origin in CS 5.5? I have quite a coarse grid, and my problem is that I am having to build everything pretty far from where it will ultimately wind up to take advantage of grid snapping. I'd rather not have to draw my own grid on a guide layer if I can avoid that.

grid.PNG

• 1. Re: Reset grid origin
          kristofer Level 2

Hi Amy,

I don't know of a way to reset the grid orgin, but I do know a simple way to create your own grid using the Deco Tool.  This is what I would do:

Create a box of one unit from your desired grid size. I've found you get the best results if you just draw the left and top side of the box.  Convert this into a symbol.

Select the Deco Tool.

In the Properties Pane select "grid fill" from the drop down box.

For Tile 1 select the box symbol you created in the first step.

Turn off the other tile options.

Set the Horizontal and vertical spacing to 0 pixels.

Click in your stage area with the Deco tool and it will populate with your grid.

The grid it creates will leave a very small space between grid units.  You can eliminate this by slightly extending the lines in your original box symbol after the grid has been created.

Finally just make sure "Snap to Objects" is on under View>Snapping.

Now you can move the grid around as you see fit.

Hope that helps!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reset grid origin
            Amy Blankenship Level 4

Hi, kristofer, thanks! This is helpful information.

What I found when I opened this file today was that the grid had reset itself to align with the upper left corner of the window. This was not the first time I'd closed and reopened it, so I'm not sure what changed--possibly I hadn't closed and reopened Flash itself. But the grid is now where I want it. I can see how this would be an annoying behavior if it started out where you wanted it and then moved!

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Reset grid origin
              kristofer Level 2

I'm glad it solved itself!  Hopefully the grid stays put.

• 4. Re: Reset grid origin
                Amy Blankenship Level 4

OK, here's what really happened. The grid at the main stage is lined up at the corner, and the grid inside my symbol is lined up as shown in the graphic. That's whacked.

• 5. Re: Reset grid origin
                  Amy Blankenship Level 4

It gets stranger--if I move my symbol around on the stage, when I go inside it, the grid has also moved. Can I get a WTF?

• 6. Re: Reset grid origin
                    kristofer Level 2

WTF

That is very strange.  I just tested this in Flash CC and sadly it happens there too.  The grid does not align with any logic within symbols.  I changed the height of the grid a few times to see what would happen.  I could only get it to align at the upper left corner of the stage within symbols if the grid height was a multiple of 8 or 12.  The size of the stage doesn't seem to matter, nor does the width of the grid.

• 7. Re: Reset grid origin
                      kristofer Level 2

Also, if the grid height and width are the same, it will align with the upper left corner of the stage inside and outside of symbols.  But that probably won't help your situation because it looks like you need a taller grid.

• 8. Re: Reset grid origin
                        Amy Blankenship Level 4

Loving Adobe software is like being with a dysfunctional partner. You want to leave, but can't!

• 9. Re: Reset grid origin
                          kristofer Level 2

There are good days and bad.  The good days are just on multiples of 8 or 12 though.

• 10. Re: Reset grid origin
                            kristofer Level 2

I was able to replicate this issue all the way back to Flash MX.  Either it's considered "intended behavior" or, Amy, you unearthed an ancient bug.

• 11. Re: Reset grid origin
                              Amy Blankenship Level 4

As far as I can tell, I use Flash differently than anyone else on the planet, so this isn't the first time I've found bugs under the sofa cushions. If bugs reported against Flash went into JIRA, I'd even report some of them.