10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 9:20 AM by Josh_Corey

From Central - PDF forms

clschurr

How do I have a form send me back an e-mail after it is filled out?

It will not let me check the e-mail notification box (grayed out) and I get the followiing message...

The author of this form has not turned on email notifications for this form. If you would like to receive notifications, please contact the form author.

• 1. Re: From Central - PDF forms
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

The error message described what you need to do.  You need to contact the form author and ask them to configure Email Notifications, depending on the share level given to you the author may also need to add you to the Notifications (unless you are a Co-author you would not be able to modify that setting).

If you are not sure who the original author was, look along the bottom of the form, all of the collaborators and their roles are listed, you can mouse over their name and it will display their email address.

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: From Central - PDF forms
            clschurr Level 1

I am the form author.

• 3. Re: From Central - PDF forms

Can you share your form with me and we can investigate?  Share with jcorey@adobe.com and please include a reference to this Forum post so I know what we are looking for, instructions for sharing your form: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2462

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: From Central - PDF forms
                clschurr Level 1

Hi,

Apparently there was another form from 2011 saved.

Here is the link they gave me for the one I just created but I cannot

embed it or download the PDF, probably because of the old one.

So I guess the one I just made is lost now.

;ADOBEFORMS.EmbedForm();</script

• 5. Re: From Central - PDF forms

I'm confused now. 

What do you mean "here is the link they gave me for the one I just created but cannot..."?  Who gave you the link?  What do you mean you can't embed or download PDF, what happens?

Is this form a form created in FormsCentral or an "Imported PDF" form?

Nothing was attached to this thread, no URL to the form etc so there isn't anything for me to investigate yet...

I am not sure what you mean by "so I guess the one I just made is lost now" either.

Can you share the form in question with me following these instructions so I can look into what you have going on? 

Share with jcorey@adobe.com and please include a reference to this Forum post so I know what we are looking for, instructions for sharing your form:http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2462

Thanks,

Josh

• 6. Re: From Central - PDF forms
                    clschurr Level 1

Here's what happened.

I went on form central and made a form which I called Showroom Assessment.

When I went to add the submit button nothing happened. When I tried to

have an e-mail notification the box to check was grayed out.

Then after browsing around a bit I found an old form from 2011 in Form

Central. Who Knew?

Apparently only one form at a time is allowed? So then I tried to delete

the old form titled Contact us but cannot figure out how to get rid of it.

I the tried to find the form I made to day called Showroom Assessment

but cannot locate it and assume it was not saved because I already had

my one form. Before I signed out I copied the html link to the form from

Form Central but it doesn't work.

I too am confused.

• 7. Re: From Central - PDF forms

Are you using the FormsCentral desktop application that is included with Adobe Acrobat XI?  Or are you siging into FormsCentral in a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari?

Is your account a "Free" level account?  In a Free account you would not have access to the Email Notifications feature, it is a Paid feature, but should have "Upgrade" messaging, the message you noted in your first post should not be shown if you are a Free user and you are the author of the form.  The same is true for downloading a PDF of the form (unless you are using the Desktop application).

Can you confirm that you created the form in FormsCentral, either from Blank or a Template, and that it is not created by Importing an existing PDF form?

It is true that only one "Online" form is allowed in a Free account (one "Online" form authored by you, in the Desktop application unlimited "Local" forms), but it will not let you create a form if you already have one, it does not allow you to work on a form that it would not save... 

What do you mean by "when I went to add the submit button nothing happened"?  When you went to add the submit button where, are you referring to something on the Design tab or on the Distribute tab?  The only place you have control over a submit button is on the Distribute tab distributing as a PDF, in a Free account there should be Upgrade messaging there since distributing the form as a PDF and collecting responses using FormsCentral is a Paid feature, if you have a Free account and go to the Distribute tab, under PDF it should show upgrade messaging.

Stick with me and answer the questions I posed and we'll figure this out.

Thanks,

Josh

• 8. Re: From Central - PDF forms

I think I see what you have going on and I think there is at least one bug that is making it more confusing than it should be.

I believe you are using the FormsCentral desktop application that is included with Adobe Acrobat XI and that you are not signed into FormsCentral, or at least the form you are working on is not online, it is a "Local" form. 

You can have unlimted "Local" forms, but a local form does not have a Submit button added to Submit the data back to FormsCentral for you to view and analyze.  You can have one form online that you've authored in a Free account, so if you sign into FormsCentral (Sign in is upper right corner) and create an account if you do not already have one, then you can (assuming you do not already have a form online) move your form online.  With the desktop applicaiton you can retain your forms if you have an onine form but want to switch to a different form online by "Moving" the form "Local", if it has Responses you'd want to export those first since the local form does not have responses, but you could retain the form design for future use and then move the form you currently want to collect responses in online.

In order to use features like Email Notifications you would need a Paid account.  Since you have Adobe Acrobat XI, the one form you have online can be downloaded as a PDF and distributed either as a PDF or web form.

I had not used the Desktop application in a while and had not seen these issues but I will investigate the "bugs" which seemed to be:

• Add a Submit button should have promted you to move the form online
                        • Clicking the checkbox in the add submit button dialog didn't work (but should already have been promted to move form)
                        • Clicking Notifications should have shown you upgrade messaging (a few of those tabs are not showing the right thing)

Here are some FAQ's that you should find useful:

Acrobat XI with FormsCentral and Free/Basic/Plus plan benefits: https://www.acrobat.com/formscentral/en/landing/axifcpricing.html?promoid=KEURI&accntlvl=b sc

Acrobat compared with FormsCentral: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1385

Edit FC PDF in Acrobat: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3661

Creating and distributing fillable PDF Forms: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2655

With Acrobat and FormsCentral with a Free account you can have one online form, which can be saved as a PDF that collects responses in FormsCentral, you can also create unlimited PDFs from unlimited "Local" forms that you distribute yourself (not using FormsCentral to collect responses), adding an Email or other method Submit button in Acrobat.

Let me know if you need any other clarification or assistance.

Thanks,

Josh

• 9. Re: From Central - PDF forms
                          clschurr Level 1

Thank you for the time you spent on this. It was helpful.

Connie

• 10. Re: From Central - PDF forms

Do let me know if you have further questions, I apologize for the confusion.  The desktop application with Acrobat, along with the online service is not the easiest to understand so having it further confused by these types of bugs would make it really frustrating, I hope I was able to help clarify the capabilities a bit...

Thanks,

Josh