3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 6:55 AM by Szalam Branched from an earlier discussion.

QuickTime

Luke_Mc

I have After Effects 12.2.1.5

I’m working on a Mac Pro running OSX Mavericks 10.9.2, 3.7GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 processor, 12gb RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

I don’t have any drivers installed for my graphics card that I’m aware of, nor any I/O hardware that I’m aware of.

This is my first time using After Effects CC on my current mac pro, but I used to use AE CS5 on an old mac, so I’m familiar with the program.

When I start AE it tells me Quicktime isn't installed even though it is. I click OK, then when I go to export a project and I choose output module in the render queue, I'm unable to export as a quicktime file because Quicktime options aren't installed. They appear as:

Missing: Quicktime DV NTSC 48khz

Missing Quicktime DV PAL 48khz

Missing: Ram Preview

I consulted this page http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-quicktime-files-in -after-effects-cc-12-0-because-of-conflict-with-dvcprohdvideoout-quicktime-component.html but none of the fixes worked because I have quicktime installed, I don't have DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component in [OS Drive]/Library/QuickTime and I went to Preferences > Audio Hardware and set to the system default. I have no idea why it's not working or what to do next since I'm working on a brand new computer with AECC recently installed with the most recent updates.

Another problem that I have is I get the following alert when starting After Effects

Ray Tracing on the GPU requires and approved NVIDIA graphcs card and CUDA 5.0 or later. For now, ray-tracing will use CPU

After installing CUDA 5.9 or later, restart your computer

But my Mac Pro has AMD FirePro D300 GPUs as mentioned above and the forums I've read say don't install CUDA unless you have an NVIDIA graphics card.

Please help me Adobe Forums, you're my only hope.

• 1. Re: solutions for problems with QuickTime files in After Effects CC (12.0)
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  When I start AE it tells me Quicktime isn't installed even though it is.

Not really.

Apple is killing the QuickTime platform, and the so-called "QuickTime X" is not the QuickTime platform that provides the components that you need.

Install QuickTime 7:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

> Another problem that I have is I get the following alert when starting After Effects

Ray Tracing on the GPU requires and approved NVIDIA graphcs card and CUDA 5.0 or later. For now, ray-tracing will use CPU

After installing CUDA 5.9 or later, restart your computer

All that that message is telling you is that one feature (which you should ignore, anyway) requires something that you don't have. Ignore that message and carry on.

• 2. Re: solutions for problems with QuickTime files in After Effects CC (12.0)
            HandMadeMonster

"Apple is killing the QuickTime platform" ???

Where do you find information like that ?

Adobe and Apple should be talking to each other more about evolution of standards, is more like it. And I'm sorry to say, but Adobe isn't first in class as far as that is concerned.

After Effects and Quicktime are not working together as they should. For every preview I want to send to a client, I have to render a sequence, render a sound file, put them together in QT7 and then compress them for distribution.

I had hoped it had something to do with my old MacPro, but on the new one it's exactly the same problem: "Output module failed".

After Effects is a fantastic program, but it is extremely slow in adopting progress. My new MacPro is 12 core, 64RAM and gives me very little gain when working in After Effects. I hope that will change with a new update, but I haven't seen any commitment from Adobe yet.

M

• 3. Re: solutions for problems with QuickTime files in After Effects CC (12.0)
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

HandMadeMonster wrote:

"Apple is killing the QuickTime platform" ???

Where do you find information like that ?

From Apple's official announcements. Also, it's been all over the web. People have been buzzing about it. Just do a Google search for Quicktime deprecated. Apple is moving to AV-Foundation instead. (Note, the mov file format is not what's deprecated - just the QTkit API )

Adobe has been moving their software to use something other than Quicktime for handling of the mov format (this has also been talked about by Adobe folks both here and officially on their blogs).

HandMadeMonster wrote:

After Effects and Quicktime are not working together as they should. For every preview I want to send to a client, I have to render a sequence, render a sound file, put them together in QT7 and then compress them for distribution.

I had hoped it had something to do with my old MacPro, but on the new one it's exactly the same problem: "Output module failed".

Thousands of people use After Effects on Macs with Quicktime with no problems. Something is wrong on your system. Contact Adobe technical support or create your own thread on the forums. We need to figure your issue out so you don't have to do this weird workaround.

HandMadeMonster wrote:

After Effects is a fantastic program, but it is extremely slow in adopting progress. My new MacPro is 12 core, 64RAM and gives me very little gain when working in After Effects.

Without knowing the full specs of your new Mac Pro vs. the specs of the old one from which you came (or anything about what is in your compositions or what your memory and multiprocessing settings are), I can't really comment on this.

I can, however, say that Adobe has been talking about possible plans to overhaul how AE works - with a significant focus on making it faster.

In the meantime, see if any of these suggestions helps you get more out of your machine.