5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 8:55 AM by A.T. Romano

We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a ...

puxnstx

I started getting the following error message when I try to open Premier Elements 12: "We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver." This window pops up twice, and then Premiere Elements 12 does not open.

My laptop has two graphics processors, Intel HD Graphics Family and Radeon HD 6770M, which means switchable graphics (you choose whether to run applications on the power-saving or high-performance graphics processor). In the Radeon Catalyst Control Center I have assigned Premier Elements to run on the high performance, Radeon HD 6770M, processor. My drivers for both processors are the most recent, and I have no issues with any programs except Premiere Elements.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 1. Re: We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a ...
          A.T. Romano Level 7

puxnstx

These two video cards situations can be problematic for Premiere Elements.

If the cards are up to date, please try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file to determine if that will resolve your issue. If not, we will go onto to other measures if possible.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

So, the path to the BadDrivers.txt file for version 12 would be

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in the Premiere Elements Folder is the file named BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. That Premiere Elements Folder contains other folders plus this BadDrivers.txt file for 12. You want to delete the BadDrivers.txt file in the Premiere Elements Folder and not anything inside the folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a ...
            puxnstx Level 1

Thanks.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I deleted C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\BadDrivers.txt, but still get the same error when I try to open Premiere Elements 12.

Any other recommendations?

-AJ

• 3. Re: We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a ...
              A.T. Romano Level 7

puxnstx

Thanks for the reply.

I came across the following earlier thread here that may hold the answer for you.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6049059#6049059

Please refer to the exchange between the user jhuff819 and John T. Smith.

Lots of similarities there between your case and the jhuff819 situation. I always write that problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. But, that thread may hold the answer.

Looking forward to your results when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a ...
                puxnstx Level 1

I went into the BIOS setup, and changes the switchable graphics setting from Dynamic to Fixed. Then once in Windows, I opened the ATI Catalyst Control Center and selected to always use the high performance GPU (Radeon HD 6770M). That did the trick. Premier Elements opens just fine now.

Thank you very much!!! I would have never thought there would be a setting for the switchable graphics in the BIOS setup.

-AJ

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a ...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

puxnstx

Great news. Thanks for that follow up information which will be a major contribution to those in a similar situation as you encountered.

Great exchange of information between jhuff819 and John T. Smith for the keys to the resolution of the issue.

Best wishes

ATR