23 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 12:20 PM by Josh_Corey

A form is arbitrarily not working

JWag

Some people who download a form can submit it while others can't. Everyone downloaded the same form from the same place within a very short period of time, and the form was not changed in any way. To check, I just downloaded the form and it works fine. However, when I try to submit the forms I'm now receiving by email, I get the error below:

FC submission failed.jpg

• 1. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

Most changes you might make to the form would cause any existing PDFs already downloaded before the change to fail in this way when a user attempts to Submit.  I'd suspect that you might have changed something and not realized it would have this affect.  If you can send me one of the PDFs that is failing from the users, and one that you download now that works I can compare and see if there is a difference.  You can email to jcorey@adobe.com and include a reference to this post so I know what to look for.

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
            JWag Level 1

I already checked - 6/23 were able to submit the form and the rest weren't.

When I download the form now, it works. No changes were made between the

time the first person downloaded it and now.

If if happens again we can do a deeper investigation. Any theories?

Thank you

Jan Waginski

416 822 2637

• 3. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

Did you email me the two PDFs to investigate?  I can't tell you much more without seeing those.

Is this form shared with anyone?  Any collaborators or co-authors?

My theory would be that someone did make a change at one time, after a PDF was downloaded, and that change has invalidated the older PDF, but without seeing the PDFs I can't determine if that is correct or if something else might be going on.

I have not seen any cases of this that were not related to having edited the form.

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                JWag Level 1

Thank you for the response. I will follow up if this happens again.

Thank you

Jan Waginski

416 822 2637

• 5. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                  JWag Level 1

Hi Josh,

It happened again. The form failed to submit when my students used it.

However, if I download the form and submit it, it works (Feminist critique

& In the skin of a lion). The 2 forms with SARA and TONNY are from students

- they do not submit. Nothing was altered in the forms at any point -

Feminist critique has no co-author and In the skin of a lion has a

co-author who has never opened the form.

I've made you a co-author on both forms.

Thank you.

Thank you

Jan Waginski

416 822 2637

• 6. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                    JWag Level 1

The problem is worse than I thought. The forms are failing to submit at

random. I downloaded the form several times, filling it in identically -

sometimes it submits and sometimes it fails.

Thank you

Jan Waginski

416 822 2637

• 7. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

Hi;

We've been experiencing a partial outage of the service this morning that could explain the issue you see today.  Everything in FormsCentral, the application you sign into and the HTML fillable forms loading and submitting are all slow.

Thanks,

Josh

• 8. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                        JWag Level 1

What's the ETA on the fix? Should those completed forms Submit correctly later? Also, this started last week.

• 9. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

What is the error you are getting, are you getting the same error you originally reported?  If so that would not be related to the issues we are experiencing now.  As far as an ETA to recover service, ASAP, we're working hard on it.  Let me know what error you get in the PDFs that you said you just downloaded and sometimes work and sometimes don't.

Thanks,

Josh

• 10. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                            JWag Level 1

"Submission failed" That's it.

• 11. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                              JWag Level 1

Did you receive the PDFs and the link to access them on FormsCentral?

Submission failed.jpg

• 12. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

Not prior to this morning, too heavy of email traffic with the issues the site is having now to see if I got them this morning.  The error you are seeing now is likely related to the outage we are experiencing, and this past week has been very unusual, we had two other outages that could have cooincided with the failures you've seen...  I would be happy to check into your PDFs but we'll need to see how they go when the service is performing normally again.  This is very unusual, the service typically runs smoothly.

Thanks,

Josh

• 13. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                                  JWag Level 1

I just downloaded the same form again and it worked, but the forms that my students couldn't submit previously still don't submit.

• 14. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                                    JWag Level 1

Never mind the last post - it's failing to submit again.

• 15. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

We have finally recovered from the outage we had for most of this afternoon, this was an extremely rare (never happened like this before) occurance and we are hoping that things will continue to run smoothly.  You should re-test any issues you were having prior to now.

Thanks,

Josh

• 16. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

Hi JWag;

After our extremely busy day working to restore service on the 28th I've been working to catch up on many things and finally got through my mail and see that you shared two forms with me.  I can't fully investigate the issue you reported with your shared forms, I need the PDF that was failing with the error you originally reported, we can rule out any issues you saw on the 28th since the service was not functioning properly.

The issue you had was PDFs that were failing to submit giving an error that the form had changed and I had asked you for PDFs that were and were not working, I need one that is failing and giving the error to investigate.  You stated you shared both the PDF and the form with me and I had said I hadn't seen those, now that I've had more time to look through my backlog of mail I do see the form shares but I searched and searched for other emails from you with the PDFs, I have older forum threads, this thread, and the two forms you shared with me but no attached PDFs.  If you'd like me to look into this further I need you to email a PDF to me that is failing.

I will download new PDFs of each of the two forms and try submitting from Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat on multiple machines to see if I get any errors.

Thanks,

Josh

• 17. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                                          JWag Level 1

The 1.6.3 file is downloaded from our website - it works fine for me.

"Alice" and "Shirley" are the exact same file downloaded by students and

when they and I press submit, it fails. Nothing was ever changed in the

file, and several students submitted it successfully.

Thank you

Jan Waginski

416 822 2637

• 18. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                                            JWag Level 1

I just emailed you 3 files - a blank and 2 filled out by users that fail to submit; I've also made you a collaborator on the file.

• 19. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

Great - thanks. 

I see that it fails to submit for me as well.  Every PDF you sent me fails to submit but if I download fresh from the shared forms they submit just fine.  By the way, I did uncover the PDFs you emailed to me on the 28th during our outage and have had a chance to try them all out.

You do appear to have done something with these PDFs, I am still not sure why the Submit is failing but it is likely due to whatever was done to the PDFs.  This is what I see...

This is the document properties and the Security permissions of the PDF I just downloaded from the Shared form in FormsCentral (this PDF can submit successfully), this is what they should look like:

DocProps_FC-download.PNGDocRestrictions_FC-download.PNG

Now looking at the PDFs you emailed to me this is what I see:

DocProps_CustomerPDF.PNGDocRestrictions_CustomerPDF.PNG

What had you done with these PDFs that would have changed this?

You had said it works for some users and not others, is that the case or does the PDF like the one you emailed to me fail for everyone?  It seems these should fail for everyone and not just some users...

Thanks,

Josh

• 20. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                                                JWag Level 1

I just submitted 1.6.3 feminist critique reading_A pair of silk stockings_Kate Chopin, the same file I sent you, from my desktop. This is the file that everyone downloaded - it's the exact same file downloaded from the exact same location as the 2 students' non-submitting files I sent along with it. But as you can see, 4 people have managed to successfully submit it.

What's bothering me is that this doesn't make sense. I created that form months ago and posted it on our site. No one has touched it since.

p.s. Where can I find the above permissions?

• 21. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

The screen shots are from the Document Properties panel which is shown by "Ctrl+D" (Windows) or "Cmd+D" (Mac), the Security tab shows the permissions.

Somewhere in the process this file is being modified.  Check the information immediately after downloading a new PDF from FormsCentral, and check one of the versions returned by users who it failed for.  The creator being "Word" shows the file has been modified and we really can't guarantee what could happen once the PDF is modified, especially by a non-Acrobat application.

I agree that it is strange and would like to understand what is going on too.

Thanks,

Josh

• 22. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working
                                                    JWag Level 1

I put together the lesson content in Word, export as a PDF, and then combine the lesson PDF and FC PDF using Acrobat. I've been doing this for a year and only since last week has this been happening.

• 23. Re: A form is arbitrarily not working

An update for anyone reading this thread is that we reproduced the issues with the submit failing when certain choices were selected in the PDF and we're looking at why when the FormsCentral PDF is combined with another PDF in this way the submit changes in this way.

Thanks,

Josh