4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 8:07 AM by A.T. Romano

Thumbnails won't show in Organizer

FarmerBench

I have loaded quite a few of my video clips into the organizer. I can see they are there, but they have not thumbnail image. So it's difficult for me to tell which video is which. I can click on them individually to see what the image is, but that is not efficient at all! I cannot tell quickly at a glance what video is what.

I have loaded the latest Quicktime on my computer.

Any other suggestions?

• 1. Re: Thumbnails won't show in Organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using and on what operating system?

What is the video format of the thumbnails you can't see?

Have you loaded these videos into a Premiere Elements so that the program has been able to download the necessary components to display them?

• 2. Re: Thumbnails won't show in Organizer
            A.T. Romano Level 7

FarmerBench

Besides SG's important questions about the video formats involved, what happens if you right click the video's Elements Organizer thumbnail and select Update Thumbnail?

And, my first question as well as SG's

Which version of the program are you using and on what operating system?

When you import video into a Premiere Elements project, automatically a copy of that video is included in the Elements Organizer. Have you tried that route to get the videos into the Elements Organizer rather than importing the videos into the Elements Organizer first?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Thumbnails won't show in Organizer
              FarmerBench Level 1

ATR -

The version I'm using is Premiere elements 12 on a Windows 8 operating system (not a Mac).

I'm not sure what type of video file it is... How would I find that out? I'm just a rookie videographer -- a technology wannabe farmer taking videos -- don't know all the lingo. All my videos are taken on my IPhone 5 and there are some taken from last year on my IPOD 4 touch.

I tried the Update Thumbnail option suggested by ATR. It worked on the first one I tried!  There was a picture! The shape of the rectangle thumbnail also changed -- elongated a bit. Then when I tried doing it on five others, they all just turned white (not gray), and their shape also turned into a slightly more elongated rectangle. So my initial elation turned into disappointment again.

I also tried loading the video directly into the project, but that didn't create a thumbnail image in the organizer. Theway I have been getting the videos into the system is to go to "Add Media/ Files and Folders/ and then I download them from my computer's video file. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say to "load the videos into a premiere elements." Isn't that what I'm doing?

Other ideas? Remember, I'm not real techie. Don't assume I know the lingo.

FarmerBench

• 4. Re: Thumbnails won't show in Organizer
                A.T. Romano Level 7

FarmerBench

Your first try at "Update Thumbnail" gave great results. However, the results with the next other five was not so great. In trying to explore the why, do you see any difference in the files, that is, was the first file from one camera and the other from a different camera?

There are 2 ways to get thumbnails into the Elements Organizer.

a. Elements Organizer and its File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/from Files and Folders

and

b. Just import the file into Premiere Elements workspace with Premiere Elements Add Media/ and get the file to the Timeline. When you do that, automatically a copy is placed in the Elements Organizer as a thumbnail there.

Your iPhone5 and iPod Touch 4th generation videos should be going into your Elements Organizer (one way or the other). So, from the point of view of video formats causing the issue, the why is not obvious.

When you import video into a Premiere Elements project, automatically a copy of that video is included in the Elements Organizer. Have you tried that route to get the videos into the Elements Organizer rather than importing the videos into the Elements Organizer first?

So, when I wrote the above in a prior post, I wanted to see if "a" and "b" were giving you the same result when you wanted to view file thumbnail(s) in the Elements Organizer.

Let us be in sync on the above.

We could explore creating a new catalog. How much content do you have in the present one? But, we can go into detail on that at whatever level you feel comfortable with.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR