11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 11:30 AM by Ericadyson

Can't find right to left paragrahph

Shifi

Hello,

I'm using InDesign CS6 to work with Hebrew text and I can't find the right to left paragraph option. I have checked "Adobe world -ready paragraph composer" but the right to left button is still missing from the paragraph window. see screen shot:

Screenshot 2014-04-24 12.07.22.png

How can I fix this? Please help!

Thanks!

Shifi

• 1. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Try: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

• 2. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to Help -> About InDesign. If it says "Middle East edition" under where it says InDesign at the top, then you should have the RTL controls. If not, you have an English version of ID that can correctly display RTL complex-script text, but that doesn't give you any tools to manipulate it.

The Help files are very misleading; the fact that you need an entire separate version of the app in order to handle RTL text successfully is hidden quite well.

I encourage people in your position to buy the World Tools plug-in from in-tools.com to access the under-the-hood RTL features in your plain-vanilla English ID. Mostly because a) it's better organized than the ME edition, and b) the ME edition costs hundreds of dollars/euros versus $99 for World Tools.

• 3. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
              Shifi Level 1

So it seems that I don't have the ME version... This is quite upsetting since I specifically asked for this version when I purchased the program and was told by the sales person that it didn't exist anymore, and that the regular version will have RTL options.

Thanks for your reply

• 4. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
                Shifi Level 1

Salah -- Thanks for the sugestion. Unfortunately it didn't work :-(

• 5. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph

This is quite upsetting since I specifically asked for this version when I purchased the program and was told by the sales person that it didn't exist anymore, and that the regular version will have RTL options.

Bah humbug. Was that sales person an Adobe rep?

If you are a subscriber to Creative Cloud, then it's really easy to switch to the ME edition - by going to the CC app and changing your language to "English (Hebrew)" in the CC preferences.

If you have a standalone perpetual license, then I will PM some Adobe employees and/or forums MVPs to see if they can't pull some strings to get you the license you actually asked for. Because my experience is that Adobe Customer Service is abysmally incompetent - and it looks like that was your experience, too.

• 6. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
                    Shifi Level 1

Yeah the sales person was an Adobe rep which I comunicated with via chat on the Adobe website. I have a standalone license, so it seems pretty hopeless..

• 7. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph

If that chat was logged by the sales rep (ha!), it should be an easy swap. What that sales rep said was simply not true. Most (but oddly enough not all) of the chats I've had with Adobe reps are logged in my Adobe account. Pull it up and contact CS and see if they'll do the right thing.

• 8. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
                        Salah Fadlabi Level 5

So it seems that I don't have the ME version... This is quite upsetting since I specifically asked for this version when I purchased the program and was told by the sales person that it didn't exist anymore, and that the regular version will have RTL options.

Try to run indesign setup installer and see if there is support to RLT.

setup install.jpg

• 9. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Shifi wrote:

Yeah the sales person was an Adobe rep which I comunicated with via chat on the Adobe website. I have a standalone license, so it seems pretty hopeless..

I'm going to send this up the corporate ladder and see if we can get you some help.

• 10. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
                            amxyz Employee Moderator

Hi Shifi,

When you were making the purchase, did you select 'English - Arabic Enabled' under the Language dropdown menu?

We should be able to acquire a serial number for you for the ME edition, please contact me via Personal Message.

To confirm, you want to purchase CS6 Design and Web Premium, Middle Eastern Windows version, correct?

Thanks,

Amy

• 11. Re: Can't find right to left paragrahph
                              Ericadyson Level 1

Hi.. this is the answer.

Uninstall

Select English (Hebrew supported) in CC Preferences

Reinstall.

Best regards  Erica