3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 11:38 AM by Steve Grisetti

How can I make the project into 16:9 when using 2 4:3 aspect ratio videos in project

nrillo@yahoo.com

I want to make a project that is 16:9 but am adding a video of a talking head (speaker) fimed in 4:3 and I want to place that in upper left corner of project and then add a video of the powerpoint they were speaking to also filmed in 4:3

• 1. Re: How can I make the project into 16:9 when using 2 4:3 aspect ratio videos in project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you willing to lose the top and bottom of your video in order for your video to fill your 16:9 frame?

Also note that, if you do decide to stretch out your video so that it fills a 16:9 frame, you'll be losing resolution, since your video will have to be a third larger than your original footage, which will mean your video will look softer and kind of blurry.

Is it worth that to fill a 16:9 frame?

• 2. Re: How can I make the project into 16:9 when using 2 4:3 aspect ratio videos in project
            nrillo@yahoo.com Level 1

perhaps I am not explaining correctly here is an image showing the 2 videos on a 16:9 screen

One is shrunk to fit in corner the other fits on rest and the empty area is filled with an non moving picture

screenvideoCapture.JPG

• 3. Re: How can I make the project into 16:9 when using 2 4:3 aspect ratio videos in project
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of challenges to doing this, including the fact that doing so will require lots of rendering and the even bigger fact that, if you're planning to show this on a TV, up to 10% of the edge gets cut off, which means that any text you've got outside of the "safe zone" might be off the screen.

But, with those caveats, place the upper left corner video on Video 1, select it and open Applied Effects. Open Motion and set the Position and Scale so that your video sits in the upper right corner.

Add your images to Video 2 and do the same thing, setting Position and Scale so that it is in the lower left of your screen. Then add you main video to Video 3 and set its Position and Scale so that it is in the right 2/3 of your video frame.

As I say, there are a number of potential problems with this kind of composite, so I'd recommend you do a very short test composition first, then output it and show it on the device or web site you hope to display it. That way you'll get the bugs out before you go investing a week's work into something that has you scrambling to fix at the last minute.