2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 6:49 PM by Dave LaRonde

Anyone working or editing 4K videos?

Sebastian676 Level 1

Hi, i'm working at a Planetarium and we're making 4K FullDome productions, but the technology we got here is pretty new so we're searching for a Pc able to run, and capable to preview everything we make and create on 4K FullDome (4096x4096) We already have a lot of material, but i'm trying to edit it and i can't since the video lags a lot on preview (even at low resolutions) and then the output video, even if i render it at low resolution, weirdly enough, the software even renders the error, so we are not able to edit anything yet, at least not like any 2K video (because we also make those, but that's pretty easy compared to 4K videos that can't even be previewed, but the videos aren't corrupted, i also can open them and the videos appears to be fine)

Please, i really need help with this... We will get a new computer in like weeks, and here are the specifications:

HP Z820 RMT (Rackable minitower), 850W 88% Efficient wide-ranging.

- Procesador Intel Xeon E5-2650v2 EightCore 2.6 GHz, 20M cache, DDR-1866 memory, 8.0GT/s QPI, HT, Turbo Boost (3.4GHz), HT, 95W.

- ChipSet Intel C602.

- Memory 8GB (2x4GB), Max. 512GB, DDR3-1866 ECC RAM 1CPU (16 Slot Dimm, 8 por CPU).

- Disco Sólido de 128GB (SSD), Disco 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm.

- Disk Controllers: Integrated 2-channel SATA 6.0Gb/sec controller and Integrated 4-channel 3.0Gb/sec controllers with RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and NCQ. (Factory integrated RAID is Microsoft Windows only).

- Red Controllers: Integrated Intel 82579 and 82574 Controllers.

- 2 RJ-45 to integrated Gigabit LAN ports.

- 16X DVD+-RW SuperMulti SATA 1st Drive.

- Graphics NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3GB GDDR5 Graphics PCI Express 2.0 x16, Connectors 1 DL-DVI(I) output, 2 DisplayPort outputs,

- Windows 8 Pro DG to Windows 7 Pro 64Bit, HP ProtecTools, HP Chasis Intrusion Sensor.

I hope with a Pc like that we can make 4K FullDome shows, because for now it's pretty difficult.

If someone knows if this Computer will work or if its good for working 4K material into the software, please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Anyone working or editing 4K videos?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should have more RAM. 8GB is barely enough.

Are you editing in Premiere or creating special effects in After Effects?

How are you exporting the final file?

How are your hard drives set up? Do you have them in a RAID configuration? If so, which one?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anyone working or editing 4K videos?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

This is the After Effects forum, and because it is the After Effects forum, Saalam is right: you need more memory.  My HP Z800 can hold up to 48GB of RAM, and I wish I had it... and I only work in HD!   You would do AE work on images that have 16 times as many pixels.  You will want more RAM.

If you will be EDITING video in a video editing application, I would ask about your proposed machine in the proper forum.  Since you're asking editing hardware questions in the After Effects forum, I suppose the Premiere Pro forum would be a good place to ask; you'll probably get a speedier, more authoritative response.