4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2014 5:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Adding New Material to Finished DVD

Jandr74

A few years ago, I finished a project using Premiere Element 7, burned it to DVD and then deleted all of the files from my hard drive.  I now want to add more material to that project.  How can I import the material from the DVD into the program?  Does it matter what version of Premiere I have?  I tried to simply import off DVD but didn't get anything really usable.

• 1. Re: Adding New Material to Finished DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jandr74

Does playback of the DVD-VIDEO on the DVD player demonstrate that you have a good quality product to start with? If so....

If you have DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, ripping of the video files (VTS_01_1.VOB series) from that disc can be done with a variety of Premiere Elements versions. There is no need to convert these VOB files to anything as might be suggested by some.

If you were to do the ripping of the VOBs in Premiere Elements 7, you would insert the DVD disc in the DVD burner tray, and the use Premiere Elements 7 Get Media/"DVD(Camcorder or PC DVD Drive)"/"Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader (Advanced Dialog)" to get those video files into the project.

Please state which version of Premiere Elements you will be using and on what computer operating system it will be running for specific instructions. The project preset used for the project would be NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen or PAL equivalents depending on what was on the original DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adding New Material to Finished DVD
            Jandr74 Level 1

Thank you, I moved the three VOB files from my prior project into my Premiere Elements program.  In my DVD, I had a menu that provided two choices of "shows."  The VOS for the second show works fine in the preview, but the other two, which are the two pieces for the first show, do not.  The audio for those two VOS files works fine.  However, the video "blinks" rapidly on and off, runs too fast and mixes scenes from other parts of the video. 

What can I do?

The quality of the original DVD product was good.  It was a mix of still photos and old moving pictures.

I am using Premiere Elements 7.  Would upgrading to 12 solve my issues?

I tried on two computers.  One running Windows 7 and the other running Windows 8.  I got the same results on each computer.  

I did not do anything with the project presets.  Would that be a possible resolution? 

Is there a way to tell what I used in my prior project? 

Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: Adding New Material to Finished DVD
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to a different format to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 4. Re: Adding New Material to Finished DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jandr74

You should be able to work with the video files VOBs and not have to convert them to MPEG or anything else before import into Premiere Elements 7 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit.

If you are running on Premiere Elements 7, set the project preset in the new project dialog to either NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen (depending on whether your DVD-VIDEO is standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9). For now I am assuming that your Premiere Elements is a NTSC install. Then use the Get Media/"DVD(Camcorder or PC DVD Drive)"/"Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader (Advanced Dialog)".

You should be able to get good results with Premiere Elements 7. If we cannot solve the issues with 7, then, as a troubleshooting tool, you could look at the free 30 day tryout of version 12 for this task.

Now with regard to this blinking video...

are you selecting only the VTS_01_1.VOB in the Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader (Advanced dialog) to bring it into the project. You should not be taking anything else. Menu VOB (VTS_01_0.VOB) seen in the Premiere Elements - Media Downloader should not be taken into the project.

To make sure 4:3 vs 16:9, let us do this....set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard. Once you get that VTS_01_1.VOB to the Timeline, in Project Media, right click the file thumbnail there and select Properties. If, in Properties, you see pixel aspect ratio = 0.9, then we are OK with the NTSC DV Standard project preset. But, if you see 1.2, then you have widescreen and need to start a new project with the project preset set to NTSC DV Widescreen.

Let us see what that all looks like and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR