9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 4:09 PM by LauraLSC201

Weird text flow in Indesign

LauraLSC201

I'm hoping someone can help solve a mystery. I am importing text from MS Word into my Indd file [CS6], and it's set as automatic text flow so I don't have to add pages manually. All was going well until one specific page, where the text only shows a partial paragraph and the rest is missing. Nothing after that appears either except a bunch of empty text boxes. The very last one has the red box highlighted, so I know the copy is there [and made sure in Word]. Here's the odd part, if I widen the one box, about 4 more inches into the pasteboard, all of the content magically appears. it's all formated properly, so there are no weird font issues, spacing problems, I checked hidden characters, box and indent widths, there are no text wraps - everything I could think of. If I delete the box and place in a new one, same thing happens. It happens at the same point in the text as well.

If it matters, it's importing with footnotes, and those have been formatted as well, since I can see them fine if I widen the box. I need to get this out to a client and have no idea what could cause this. Any ideas???

• 1. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign
          Ellis home Level 4

I would check paragraph/character styles on that part with the problem. Do you see anything in Edit/Edit in Story Editor at that problematic point?

• 2. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you open the story in Story editor you will find the problem in the first lines after the overset indicator. Make sure you have non-printing characters visible. Since this is coming from Word, my guess would be that the text was set with a string of non-breaking spaces and that either the words are too short to break, or you've prevented hyphenation in your styles.

• 3. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign
              LauraLSC201 Level 1

Thanks, All. Nothing looks weird, it's odd - it's not even displaying as overset in Story Editor when i pull the column back into place. The column is 5.5" wide, so no hyphens is not a problem, and nothing is hyphenated at that point. All of the text appears at 6.5". It's almost like there is a white box and you can't see anything below it, except there isn't one. Any more thoughts?

• 4. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign

Is there an object on the page with text wrap applied?

And to see the overset indicator where the problem is you need to delete, or unlink from the thread, all those other frames downstream....

• 5. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign
                  LauraLSC201 Level 1

No, just running text. The overset indicator does not appear, it's like there is no problem.

I narrowed it down a bit, I think. I think it has something to do with the footnote. When I copy/paste the text from Word [without the footnotes] into Indd it's fine, no problems. It is not breaking off directly at a footnote, it's several words before it. I have not imported text with footnotes this way before and worked with the 'document footnote options'.

• 6. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign

Is this a long footnote or one whose marker is near the bottom of the page? If there isn't enough room for the marker and the not on the same page the text will jump to the next page and leave a large white gap at the bottm of the page where it won't fit.

• 7. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign
                      LauraLSC201 Level 1

No, and I checked for odd spacing within the footnote, it all looks fine. I made sure in the footnote options panel that it can run to the next page and keep going, so it doesn't get cut off or interrupt the text flow. It's doing that in the other pages, just not this one.

This is the craziest thing. Could it have something to do with the actual footnote number?

• 8. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign

Not likely.

Are you able to share this file for examination, either with a link here or privately?

• 9. Re: Weird text flow in Indesign
                          LauraLSC201 Level 1

AH! I got it resolved. One of the footnotes was a hyperlink that was 4 lines long and had an odd character in it. I checked the link, removed the character and it's fine now. Funny how something so small can be such a huge problem. Thank you so much for your help. I so appreciate it!!!!