4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 12:28 PM by Junaid Atari

FW CS3 - Internal Error

Has this happened to anyone else? I installed FW CS3 this week and created my first web site mockup. I went in yesterday to open the file (it's a png) and received an error "Cannot open the file. An internal error occurred." Gave up after several times, tried other versions of FW... no luck. I was able to open it in Illustrator CS3 but only as a flattened file.

Went ahead and spent four hours last night recreating the original file.... tried to keep the number of layers down to a smaller number this time. (The original file had over 100 layers)

Has this happened to anyone else. Was the number of layers the issue ... ? I'm a long long long time user of FW ... it's my favorite piece of software ever, but am a little gunshy after that experience.

• 1. Re: FW CS3 - Internal Error
          Level 7
          Marje wrote:

> Has this happened to anyone else? I installed FW CS3 this week and created my
          > first web site mockup. I went in yesterday to open the file (it's a png) and
          > received an error "Cannot open the file. An internal error occurred." Gave up
          > after several times, tried other versions of FW... no luck. I was able to open
          > it in Illustrator CS3 but only as a flattened file.

The Internal Error is an indication that some kind of memory handling
          was not made available to the program.

The first thing to do when you are having this kind of problem is to
          delete the Fireworks preferences.txt. On my machine, that's located at
          C:\Documents and Settings\Linda Rathgeber\Application
          Data\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\English

The file will rebuild itself the next time you load Fireworks, resetting
          all the preferences back to their defaults.

Another thing to be aware of is that if your user profile does not
          permit you to write to the root of the system drive, then Fireworks will
          fail because it is not able to write to the scratch disk. Fireworks must
          first be installed and launched in Administrator mode before you log on
          in your User profile and run the software. This allows Fireworks to
          write to the registry that data that it needs to run on those systems.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: FW CS3 - Internal Error
            Roger M Smith
            I have had the same problem trying to open Illustrator documents (.AI) that have another Illustrator document 'placed' in them (a standard background for example). FW works fine when the AI document has a PSD 'placed' in it, but another AI document causes either the import dialog requesting size and resolution etc. to keep redisplaying every time you click OK, or under some circumstances causes FW to crash. Clicking Cancel on the import dialog brings up the 'unable to load' error mentioned in the previous article. The only way I can open the AI document is to 'imbed linked documents' on the Save-As options. Obviously FW cannot process linked documents properly, I will try resetting the preferences, but I am assume this is a bug as I am running as administrator on Vista on a high end desktop machine, and have had no previous versions of Fireworks installed.
            • 3. Re: FW CS3 - Internal Error
              SAAB93hero

Though it might be a bug that Fireworks can't open Illustrator File which contains linked files,

but this is a solution for me...at least, now my Fireworks CS4 can open Illustrator CS4 file smoothly(embeded all linked files inside of Illustrator).

Err... it seems that the bug is still right there without have an antidote...orz

• 4. Re: FW CS3 - Internal Error
                Junaid Atari Level 1

Sometime i alo get this error when i apply Vector Mask on grouped objects.