17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2014 2:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install

PittCaleb2

Long time Premire and Premiere Elements user.  Had been using PE 9 earlier this week.  Yesterday purchased PE 12.  Before even downloading, to avoid any potential conflicts, I uninstalled PE 9, then installed PE12.  After reboot, I attempted to launch the application.  it fails.

Based on http://forums.adobe.com/message/6329465#6329465 I did not find any prefs files, but removed (both) 12.0 directories in an attempt to help things along.  Nothing.

When I attempt to launch PE 12, "create new project" it just hangs.  This is the dump from Windows in the "stopped working" dialog box:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH

Application Name:          ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS.EXE

Application Version:          12.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:          523cd4d5

Fault Module Name:          dvamarshal.dll

Fault Module Version:          11.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:          523cc62d

Exception Code:          c0000005

Exception Offset:          0000000000034961

OS Version:          6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:          1033

Additional Information 1:          5a5c

Additional Information 2:          5a5c7f2099c49d46ef167594373b054c

Additional Information 3:          e2a1

Additional Information 4:          e2a18ccc946fae77ae70bd7ffb1dd642

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Help is greatly appreciated.  I have a project I need to edit and post today if possible.  Would like to get this working ASAP. 

WIn 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, 8 GB RAM.  Nothing else actively running save Chrome at time of repeated failures.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PittCaleb2

Not sure if this dvamarshall.dll is at the core of your issue.

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/missing-not-found-error/dll/windows/adobe-systems-incorp orated/dva-product/dvamarshal-dll/

But, I would suggest the following

1. Uninstall Premiere Elements 12, the usual Control Panel route.

2. Do a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

3. Reinstall the program with antivirus and firewalls turned Off

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
            PittCaleb2 Level 1

Thank you @Romano for your attempted fix.

Based on that, I:

- Uninstalled Premiere Elements 12

- Rebooted

- Ran CC Cleaner Reg Scan

- Cleaned it up, re-ran scan 4 more times until came back clean

- Rebooted again

- Installed Premiere Elements 12

- Rebooted

- Launched Premiere Elements 12

Same result unfortunately. dvamarshal.dll issue as posted above.

Two additional pieces of data I can add:

- Once before the CC Clean and again after this reboot, I got a message from "Adobe Photoshop Elements Organizer" crashing in the background with the same dvamarshal.dll issue.

- Before I did the above, I initiated an on-line chat support session with Adobe.  I didn't have faith in the rep as he/she kept asking questions I had already provided answers to.  Long/short, they wanted me to drop my video card into "VGA Mode" by removing the driver.

For the record, I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450.  Only a month ago, I updated the drivers, through AMD, in a long'ish process (first attempt was through Dell, big mistake).  The drivers are dated 3/12/2014, so they're more than current.  I am driving an $800 pro-level XD monitor with no problems.

Back to the tech support chat - she blamed my video card and told me I needed a new one, goodbye.  That I am getting the same issue with Elements Organizer tells me it's something else.  Why would Organizer care about my video card this much?

Looking for some help.  I had been running Photoshop/Premiere Elements 9 without problem.  I upgraded yesterday due to the sale.  I've uninstalled them already and have no idea where the install media or licenses are, so I can't easily go back.  I have a project to work on today, and am dead in the water.  QUite a frustrating process.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Caleb

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PittCaleb2

Thanks for the follow up and for trying the troubleshooting suggestion. Sorry that did not work for you.

Since yours is a recent Premiere Elements 12 purchase, it may be a good idea to contact Adobe via Adobe Chat regarding this matter. That does not prohibit us from continuing our discussions with you here. Adobe may have some undocumented remedies for your situation.

If you decide to do that, click on the following link, and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still need help? Contact Us." to bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up".

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=downloading-installing -and-setting-up

Please let us know how that plan works out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                PittCaleb2 Level 1

Don't know if you work for Adobe or just help in the forums.  I did initiate a tech support chat, she told me I had a video driver that was not supported.  Don't know how she determined this.  She wanted me to uninstall my driver and run in default/VGA mode.  I wasn't comfortable doing this.  She told me she couldn't help unless I uninstalled my video driver.  This just doesn't sound right.

She gave me a phone number to call to request a refund.  Unforutnately, that may be my only option at this point.  Been using the original Premire Pro and then Elements for well over a decade.  I looked, can't find install media or license info for Elements 9, although maybe Adobe has some way to retrieve it.

Thoughts on the next step I should take?

Caleb

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Caleb

Thanks for letting us know of the outcome of your contact with Adobe.

I do not work for Adobe nor am I affliated with it in any way. Just a user in a user to user forum.

In my troubleshooting of various Premiere Elements has have not yet run into a connection between the  dvamarshal.dll and the computer's video card/graphics card. But, video card/graphics card compatibility issues can cause the type of problems that you see in the program.

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Under Device Manager/Display Adapters/, do you see only one card listed or two? Assuming that the card(s) are up to date, then please try the following. We are going to delete the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 12. In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it can be found

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. In this Premiere Elements Folder are folders besides this BadDrivers.txt file. You do not want anything in the folders in the Premiere Elements Folder, only the file named BadDrivers.txt file. (When you open a new project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully all will be resolved.) Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

The rationale behind the above approach is explained in the following older thread (post 10). BadDrivers.txt deletion has proven to be a life saver for those with display issues in 9 as well as later versions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

About reverting to Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1....

We can get tryout files for 9 from the following web site, and you can insert your purchased serial number in them....

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-9-premiere-elements-9-direct-download-links.h tml

You have to read the instructions very carefully so that you do not get hit with an Access Denied message.

But, we need to get your purchased serial number. If you registered Premiere Elements 9 with Adobe, you should be able to see it at http://www.adobe.com under "My Products".

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide what troubleshooting strategy needs to be developed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                    PittCaleb2 Level 1

Stated above, I only have 1 video card:

For the record, I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450.  Only a month ago, I updated the drivers, through AMD, in a long'ish process (first attempt was through Dell, big mistake).  The drivers are dated 3/12/2014, so they're more than current.  I am driving an $800 pro-level XD monitor with no problems.

I went to c:\program data\adobe\premiere elements - that directory is void of files, but has 2 sub directories - 9.0 and 12.0.  I searched under this structure and found baddrivers.txt in the 9.0 directory.  There was not one in the 12.0 directory.  The contents of that file was: ##FALSE#0#0#0

As for anything else in the directories... Hmmm, I appear to have a bunch of stuff.  Please see this screen grab:

2014-04-25_1438.png

I had 9.0 installed prior to 12.0.  I uninstalled/rebooted/then installed 12.0.  Should I remove this directory structure or is the 9.0 / 12.0 fine?  What about the other files and directories underneath 12.0?

Would like to try to get 12.0 up and running if you think it's possible.  Note, only the chat based teh support said anything about a "bad video card driver" - but she couldn't explain to me why she felt this way.  I have no real reason to believe it's the video card myself.  DLL conflict or such, maybe, but nothing specific to video card.

See my above note, I get the same DLL error not in Elements Organizer, and Elements runs fine.  I just don't think this necessarily has anything to do with video cards.

Next step thoughts?

Caleb

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                      PittCaleb2 Level 1

To the good, I was able to retrieve my license keys for elements 9.0 and download the "old" software with the links you provided.  Many thanks.  Now let's hope I don't need them.

Caleb

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PittCaleb2

I thought that I posted the following already, but found it "unposted" when I went to reply to your thread. So first the post that I thought that I had posted.

Thanks for the reply.

Your Premiere Elements Folder in the path cited should have shown the BadDrivers.txt file besides the 9.0 Folder and the 12.0 Folder. Just to play safe, to rule this in or out, click on Start button and in the Search field above the Start button, type in Folder Options. You should then see Folder Options text to click on at the top of the left column. When you do, the Folder Options dialog should appear. Click on its View Tab and scroll down to Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives to assure that it is dotted. Then recheck the Premiere Elements Folder for the BadDrivers.txt file. Do you see it now? If so, I would delete and let the program generated it again.

If you uninstalled Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, I would get rid of entries for it unless there is some indication that shared components are involved somehow.

As for

To the good, I was able to retrieve my license keys for elements 9.0 and download the "old" software with the links you provided.  Many thanks.  Now let's hope I don't need them.

I too am thinking positive thoughts about the "Now let's hope I don't need them." part of your message.

I have been checking the Internet for dvamarshal.dll. Lots of troubleshooting suggesting, including those that target the video card. One that looked interesting and work for one...

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

12.0 Folder (deleting it or disabling it by renaming it from 12.0 to 12.0OLD).

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                          PittCaleb2 Level 1

Update time - been busy, so this has been back-burner.

Based on some other threads, I set all the exe's in Premiere to always run as Administrator; I updated the Catalyst drivers for my video card and I attempted to manually add dvamarshal.dll to my registry.  all with no differing results.

Below is some info about my dvamarshal.dll file on my system.  It's located in the premiere elements directory (for me, program files\adobe\premiere elements 12) - can someone check they have same on their system?  Wondering if it's something as simple as getting a new version of this file.

If we can't find anything specific, I'm going to need to get a refund in process.  This is just nuts trying to solve the problem.  Sad, very sad, been using Premire for well over a decade.  I have no idea what my next step will or should be.  There is no reason this should not be working.  Good system, good OS and good video card.  I wish Adobe's help was more direct rather than just "nope, can't help you"

dvamarshall-info.png

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PittCaleb2

In view of the circumstances, watch the time very closely to avoid losing any rights you have with regard to a 30 day money back from Adobe, provided you purchased from Adobe. It is very strict in this regard.

From what you wrote, I know that you have contacted Adobe in the past to work through this matter with it. But, apparently you and the rep got into a problem because of the video card considerations. In view of all your subsequent troubleshooting (independent of Adobe), you might want to try another contact with Adobe with another rep. Even ask for a supervisor if necessary. If that is a nowhere result, then go for the 30 day refund if Premiere Elements was purchased from Adobe.

I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit, and I do find dvamarshal.dll under Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Elements 12.

For Digital Signature Details dialog/General Tab looks the same as mine, except for the Signing Time. The Digital Signature Details/Advanced Tab information could be meaningful, but I do not know how to intepret the attributes. Adobe should.

Please remind me, "Is your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 still operational on your computer?

If you did want to look at another version to see if the problem exists there also, why not look at the Premiere Elements 11 tryout files from the website that I suggested previously?. Then work with Premiere Elements 11 as the tryout. That site does not sell the tryout, so, if 11 works for you, you can go online and find a vendor who still has 11 in stock.

Please review and consider and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                              psprez

I had the same problem. Windows 7 64-bit fresh hard drive, fresh windows install, and almost no other software. I installed Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12. The Photoshop worked right away, but the Premiere wouldn't. I'd just get the windows circle thing for a few seconds then nothing. I followed advice in this thread and nothing worked (I set all executables in the Adobe folder to "Run as Administrator").

As I was changing the files, I noticed another executable and gave it a try, and it worked. It seems the installation linked all of the shortcuts to a file called "Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe" and that's the file that won't run. When I double-clicked "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe" it started right up (the file name without the "12" at the end). Hopefully this will help someone else.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

psprez

At any time in your troubleshooting of your own problem, did you ever see "dvamarshal.dll" errpr message present in conjunction with your issue?

Back in post 9 of this thread,  PittCaleb2 stated

Based on some other threads, I set all the exe's in Premiere to always run as Administrator; I updated the Catalyst drivers for my video card and I attempted to manually add dvamarshal.dll to my registry.  all with no differing results.

The two default processes that open are first the Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe which will open to the Welcome Screen and then the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file which opens the program, bypassing the Welcome Screen. So it is no surprise that double clicking the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe opened the program.

In your case, as in PittCaleb2 case, you wrote

I set all executables in the Adobe folder to "Run as Administrator"

Did that include right clicking the Premiere Elements desktop icon and applying Run As Administrator as well as running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Before you double clicked the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file to open the program successfully, how were you trying to open the program - from the computer desktop icon? Did creating a new desktop icon targeting the Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe ever work to open the program for you?

How are you operating now? Have you created a new desktop icon targeting the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and are using that to open the program, bypassing the Welcome Screen.

Thanks for any additional information on your troubleshooting.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                                  PittCaleb2 Level 1

It's been a month plus... here's a new update...

My HDD was giving me issues and I believe it was starting to die.  I swapped my 1.5tb HDD for a 512 gb SSD main hard drive (for the OS, apps and most of my 'files), a 1 tb for most of my larger media files (music, videos, older photos).  It's all good and I'm quite happy with this setup.  Boot and Apps run SO fast off the SSD drive!

At the same time, I added memory (going from 8gb to 12 gb) and upgraded my video card from the base Radeon that came with this system to a new GeForce 750ti.

I was under the impression that the video card was my 'problem' with Premiere Elements 12 not running.  This was one of the main reasons I decided to upgrade my video card while I had everything opened up.  Prior to removing the Radeon card, I uninstalled all ATI software, including the driver.  Once I popped in the new GeForce card, I installed the latest drivers.  They are 100% up to date from the mfr.

I then tried running Premiere 12...  And got the very same error...

So... I am going to state unequivically this dvamarshall issue has nothing to do with my video card and its associated drivers.  Does anyone from Adobe read these forums?  I will try calling them again next week, but I predict I will get the same response "it's a hardware issue, not an Adobe one, so sorry."

Any help is greatly appreciated.  12 is installed and does not run.  9 is not installed.  I have the media and the license key and can re-install it, but I would rather get 12 running.  Especially since I paid for it.

Thanks - Caleb

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                                    PittCaleb2 Level 1

I forgot to add - just today, I got an alert from Adobe to update both Premiere Elements & Photoshop Elements from 12.0 to 12.1 - and I did that for both.  When I launch Premiere 12, it states 12.1 (20140225.12.1.620828).  Looking at the error message, it states Application version 12.0.0.0

Could simply be that it wasn't updated during the patch, which is fine.  Wondering if someone could post a version of their dvamarshal.dll that I could binary compare to the one I have on my system.  Wondering if I have a corrupt file somehow.

I see it in 2 places, different file sizes - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\32  and C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12

One appears to be 32 bit and the other is probably 64 bit.  Would love to see other copies of these files and see if mine are identical.  And yes, I have tried re-installing, many times.

Caleb

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Caleb

To confirm the Adobe updates for Premiere Elements 9 and 12, you best use an opened project's Help Menu/About Premiere Elements. At the top of the list that goes through the scrolling, you will see for

For 12.0 to 12.1 (Editor as well as Organizer)

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

Version 12.1 (numbers after that)

Adobe Elements Organizer 12

Version 12.1 (numbers after that)

For 9.0 to 9.0.1 (Editor) and 9.0.3 (Organizer)

pre

Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Version 9.0.1 (numbers after that)

Elements 9 Organizer

Version 9.0.3 (numbers after that)

The name of the .exe files for these updated programs are not changed after the updating.

Premiere Elements 12 or 12.1 is a 64 bit application when it is specifically run on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit or on Mac with as 64 bit processor. It is a 32 bit application otherwise.

Premiere Elements 9.0 or 9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether run on Windows 32 bit or 64 bit computer or Mac.

The Program Files location is consistent with a 64 bit application; whereas the Program Files (x86) location is consistent with a 32 bit application.

If you ever have to prove to yourself whether an application is running as 32 bit or 64 bit, see Process Explorer Sysinternals and Image Type column.

Process Explorer

File Folder name changes to reflect an update are not to be excepted as routine in other than the Help Menu/About Adobe Premiere Elements. In the case of the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Update, Adobe did not put the "8.0.1" anywhere to be found, not even in Help Menu/Adobe Premiere Elements.

Please let me know if I have targeted your concerns of notations that are placed by Adobe in a version which is updated by it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Caleb

Thanks for the update.

Please remind me, have we looked at the troubleshooting approaches as described in the following blog post?

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

I get your message about the video card and its driver having nothing to do with your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 issues, but...

If you have not already, just so I can bring closure to the video card and its driver thoughts, could you delete the BadDrivers.txt file and then let me know if it made any difference with your Premiere Elements 12 problem in the NVIDIA card new situation.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. That Premiere Elements Folder may have other folders in it. But you do not want anything that is in any of them. You only want the BadDrivers.txt file that is in the Premiere Elements Folder. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

More later.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Caleb

Please also refer to my immediate prior posts 15 and 16.

Reflecting on your situation, I think it is time for a recap

You wrote

I then tried running Premiere 12...  And got the very same error...

The 12.1 Update has to be done in the opened project using Help Menu/Update. If you tell me that you have updated from 12 to 12.1, the program/project had to stay open long enough for you to get to the Help Menu/Update and allow for the download and install. I am assuming that you ended up with a finished successfully message of some sort at the end of that process.

The part that I am asking recap for is...at this point, you appear to be able to get into a project...when is the error message appearing and to what extent does it block you from moving forward?

Looking forward to the outcome of above considerations as well as your planned contact with Adobe.

ATR