• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFMAP - multiple markers - error: the webpage has gone over the requests limit in too short a period

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Maps has a restriction on how many map markers can be requested per second.  The limit is ten per second.  I am looking for the "best Practice" on how coldfusion developers address this limitation.  I am looking to display a map of the US with 125 location markers.  Ideally I would like to cache the map for retrieval for both efficiency purposes and to avoid depletion of the total requests that Google allows per day.  Thanks in advance for any insight that you can lend.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that all 125 locations are being looped.  What about initially loading the page with a "processing" animated gif and a message that the information is being retrieved, while in the background you can loop through and every tenth iteration use Sleep(1000) to delay the next ten?

Just my $0.03472 worth.

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is it documented that you can only request 10 markers per second?  It's not unusual using the Maps API to create a map with hundreds of markers displayed simultaneously, without having to delay requests before loading them in batches of 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One reference is https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/business/articles/usage_limits#limitexceeded where a solution in Python is given to pause a loop if an OVER_QUERY_LIMIT error is received.  I agree that there are maps out there with hundreds of markers.  My mission is figuring how they are doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That error shouldn't be caused simply by trying to display 125 markers at once on a map.  Unless you're repeating this request a lot you shouldn't go over any usage limit.  Just loop 1..125 adding a marker each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work using an array. But a recordset would eliminate future maintenance on my part. Thanks!

Tom McHugh

Director of Business Administration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share how you did this, I'm having the same issue.

Thanks

Scott T.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3059044/google-maps-js-api-v3-simple-multiple-marker-example.  This site is a god resource to bookmark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe that folks that are able to display hundreds of markers at once, without an error message, have already geocoded their results.  In my humble opinion, I believe Google is limiting the requests to protect against server strain (which wouldn't be effected by our sites alone, but by millions of sites requesting the geocodes regularly).

Personally, I've had a difficult time, due to my current lack of Coldfusion knowledge, knowing how to perform a geocoding procedure when the address is initially retrieved via the sign-up form.  Ideally, this information should be retrieved then and then stored in the database, so the geocoordinates are stored on our server instead of requesting them from the Google API.

That said, my current solution would be to delay the loop every tenth instance, but I've not found documentation on how to pull this off.  If someone where able to point me in the right direction, I believe this would solve our problem with the over_query_limit error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation