26 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 1:24 PM by Margaret Dougal

Ski Trip DVD

Margaret Dougal

Hi

my 3/4 finished project freezes and then asks to shut down. My fantastic computer repair company has checked the pc and it has all the required memory and is running without any issues.

• 1. Re: Ski Trip DVD
          whsprague Level 4

I hesitate to post a reply as this forum seems to have become the personal territory for one person that will need amaing detail.  The last time I tried to offer any help, it became a waste of time.

That said, I had the same trouble on a complex project.  It fixed itself when I saved the project with a new name.  Do a Save As > Ski DVD Ver 2.  Then open the Ver 2 project.  In my case it stopped crashing.   I've added that step to my habits as a form of insurance.  By the time I'm done with a project I can be up to several versions.  Each provides a "a go back to" point if something goes horribly wrong.

• 2. Re: Ski Trip DVD
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, a lot depends on what model of camcorder your video is coming from and what format and resolution it is -- and how closely matched the project settings in Premiere Elements is to that format.

And of course which version of Premiere Elements you're using and on what operating system.

It's also important to render your timeline regularly (by pressing Enter), whenever you see a yellow orange line above your clips on the timeline in Expert view -- or, in versions prior to version 11, whenever you see red line along the top of the timeline in Timeline view.

So, if you'd like us to help, we'll need you to provide us with a lot more information.

• 3. Re: Ski Trip DVD
              Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

*I use Windows 7 Pro 32 bit with 4GB Ram and a i5 Processor with ATI Radeon

5450 graphics card.*

Software is Premiere Elements 10.

*My camera is a JVC Everio SDHC. *

many thanks

Margaret

Margaret Dougal

• 4. Re: Ski Trip DVD

I'm not sure which version of Premiere Elements you're using -- and I don't know what exact model of camcorder you're using, so I can't make any specific recommendations.

But also:

It's also important to render your timeline regularly (by pressing Enter), whenever you see a yellow orange line above your clips on the timeline in Expert view -- or, in versions prior to version 11, whenever you see red line along the top of the timeline in Timeline view.

Have you done this?

• 5. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                  Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

I have just sent an email with that info on thanks. I have now gone on to

try to render (no I hadnt done this up to now as I thought you only did

that at the end of the project) but my project crashes before it will do

this.

Margaret Dougal

• 6. Re: Ski Trip DVD

I don't know who you sent an e-mail to, Margaret. I don't work for Adobe.

But it's hard to give you any more specific instructions without more specific information about your camcorder and Premiere Elements version and your project settings.

• 7. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                      Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

Sorry Steve. I'm so fed up with this I'm ready to put it in the bin. If it wasn't for the fact that I have 45 children desperate to see it!!!!

Any way.....

Windows 7 Pro 32 bit with 4GB Ram and a i5 Processor with ATI Radeon 5450 graphics card.

Premier Elements 10. JVC Everio SDHC.

I have fiddled a bit and am now managing to render. It is 91% done. I will let you know how that goes

Thanks

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If that model camera uses Quicktime, this saved message may help... JVC Quicktime http://forums.adobe.com/thread/738982

• 9. Re: Ski Trip DVD

As for your camcorder, there are dozens of models called JVC Everios.

http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=171

If I can know the exact model, I might better be able to help you figure out if your project is set up right.

Meantime, I appreciate John chiming in with a suggestion. Anyone else have any general ideas?

• 10. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

At your latest report

I have fiddled a bit and am now managing to render. It is 91% done. I will let you know how that goes

If you have succeeded with your project by the time you read my post, then congratulations on your success. But, if that is not the case, It is time to bring into practice what I frequently write "the answers are in the details". Amazing details fuel amazing results.

I have been assuming that you are talking about render/export of the Timeline crashes and not Timeline render to get the best possible preview. Am I correct in that assumption?

There were not too many firm details for us to know, only assume.

You state that you have a JVC SDHC. SDHC is a type of memory card and does not tell us the /model/settings for the camera that is recording your source media. We do not know what the project preset is, if it is set correctly, and how large this project is. We have no idea how packed this project is. And, are you burning to DVD or Blu-ray? If so, what is the disc Space Required and Bitrate shown as in the burn dialog? For now, let us assume that you are working with HD media in a HD project and burning to DVD or Blu-ray.

If you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 32 bit, then Premiere Elements 10 is a 32 bit application running in a 32 bit computer system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit, namely max supported installed RAM 4 GB with 3.2 to 3.0 GB of that or less available. This has it impact on trying to get a larger project taken to a successful completion more often than not. Premiere Elements 10 is a 64 bit application (with all the added resource implications that comes with that) only when running specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

If you are close to success with your project in a possibly computer resource compromised situation, desparate measures may include, getting rid of pile ups of previews, conformed audio, and conformed video taking up hard drive space. If you have a lot of menu markers and lots of associated main menu and scene menu pages, you might try to find a menu with more buttons per page so that you have less menu pages. And so on. Just make sure that you do not have a stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline.

We would be glad for the opportunity to work through your project issues if you have not solved them already. But, details so that we remain in sync.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Add on comments for if and when you might need them....

Typical Backing Up of a Project - AutoSave

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSA4213223-A072-483f-9A0A-B8A95742C2AE. html

Also, different conditions and opportunities for homemade fixes might be expected to exist between users, one with 64 bit application in 64 bit computer environment with more than 4 GB RAM installed and one with 32 bit application in a 32 bit computer environment with 4 GB RAM installed.

ATR

• 12. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Margaret,

I think that the term "e-mail" might have confused Steve. The information did appear in your Reply # 3, and then again in Reply # 7. Thank you for that.

As ATR points out, a bit more information can be very useful to solving your issue(s). The additional information will be:

1. Version of PrE that you are using
                                2. Project setting chosen
                                3. Exact specifications of the media files from the JVC camera, i.e. the Frame Size, the Frame Rate (FPS), the format (say .MOD, or other), and the Compression Type (say AVCHD w/ the H.264 CODEC)
                                4. Duration of your Timeline

That info can be very important.

Also, and especially as Rendering is failing, I would ask a few more specifics about your computer, and how it's set up:

1. How many HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) does your computer have?
                                2. What are their size, their speed, are they internal only, or do external HDD's figure in, and probably most importantly, how much Free Space is available on each, plus how do you have them allocated, say C:\ OS and programs, D:\ media, Project files and PrE Scratch Disks?

ATR mentioned a build-up of working files from PrE. Those (determined by your Scratch Disk settings) can contribute to PrE not having enough HDD space to work.

If you need any assistance in determining the answers to any of the above questions, do not hesitate to ask. We can direct you to gathering that info.

With the above information, we can reconstruct your Project in our minds, and likely see some spots to check in more detail.

My *guess* right now, is that you are facing a resource issue with the computer, and the larger Project, but the above requested info will either point us in that direction, or will point us in another direction.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for that reenforcing information for Margaret and those eager to have her succeed in her project.

Welcome.

ATR

• 14. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                    Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

I'm really not a technical person. However the rendering trick worked and I have now managed to add my music. Just titles and sound editing to do and then the nightmare of burning!!!!

Thanks for everybody's help. I will let you know if I get it finished and have 45 very happy children!!!!!

Margaret

Sent from my iPad

• 15. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you. Just returned from a week in London, so am very far behind on everything.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Margaret,

That is very good news, and thank you for sharing. We want to first make YOU happy, then the happiness of the 45 children will follow.

Good luck, and do not hesitate to ask any questions, should you become stuck at any point.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                          Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

Its the very untechnical Margaret back. I was having the problem with Premier Elements 10. Thanks to everyone I have now completed my project and am now trying to burn it onto disc for the children...not working!!!

I have gone to Share -

Burn DVD - Disc

Disc Name-

Burner Location - D:HL -DT - ST DVD +RW GH7 ON

Preset - PAL_Dolby DVD

Quality - Fit Contents to available space

What am I doing  wrong?

Margaret

• 18. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Thanks for the update on your progress.

What are the signs of the burn to DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc not working?

Where is the process not working and what error messages are associated with these setbacks?

As an example, after you hit Burn in the burn dialog and are watching the progress bar, where do things go bad in the various phases of the process?

a. Encoding Menus

b. Encoding Media

c. Compiling Media

d. Burning

And, we may need to compare notes before you do another burn to. If you have a HD project, your burn to DVD should be using the PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD and not the PAL Dolby DVD preset for the burn.

Let us start here. With your additional details, we will try to sort out all the details to get the DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc that you want.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                              Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

I have now changed to pal widescreen as suggested.

It is going further but sticking at 9% on encoding media but not saying there's a problem as it did last time!

Margaret

Sent from my iPad

• 20. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                                Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

Now got error code at 11% burning saying transcoding error

Margaret

Sent from my iPad

• 21. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Thanks for the replies.

As for this transcoding error, at least two ways to approach getting the reason for that. Let us start with

1. Do you have a stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline? If so, remove it. The stop marker there is not needed, and it can cause problems such as those that you are running into. But, it does not usually present with "transcoder error", more like a "Vobulator". But let us check it out anyway.

2. Open the project and expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline so that you get a very close up look at what is going on at the track level. Look for very thin vertical black lines scattered among the track content. If there, they represent fragments/slivers/leftovers from the clips. They need to be deleted.

Also look at the transitions placements, gaps in the Timeline, audio out of place, etc.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 22. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                                    Margaret Dougal Level 1

Hi

There is no stop marker at end of project and I'm afraid I can't see any fine lines that shouldn't be there either!

Audio looks ok as well

Sorry

Margaret

Sent from my iPad

• 23. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Thanks for the follow up.

When you are doing your burn to, are you using burn to disc DVD disc or burn to Folder (4.7 GB) when you get the transcoding error.

Please determine if you can get a successful burn to when it is burn to Folder (4.7 GB). Then we can tell you how to take the VIDEO_TS Folder that is in that Folder (4.7 GB) and take it to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with the ImgBurn program. This route will be convenient for now since it will get the job done while we work through the burn to disc issues. That is the plan. Keeping a positive thought.

Important, before hitting the Burn button in the burn dialog, give the Folder (4.7 GB) a distinctive name and Save In location of burn dialog so that you can find it for the ImgBurn part of the workflow suggested.

ATR

• 24. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                                        Margaret Dougal Level 1

Oh my goodness. I am completely hopeless, can't do burn to folder either! It's freezing after 1% first try and not even starting the process second try!...Is it just me... Is there an easier package to use?

I finally think the time to give up is here.

Sent from my iPad

• 25. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Give up? Not yet, maybe.

Recap time.

Given you have completed your project Timeline and you headed for an export choice.

I recall you mentioned success. What that success from exporting your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, such as,

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25

or

was it another export choice.

Have you had any prior burn to disc DVD or burn to folder successes so far with this Timeline?

What other burn software do you have on your computer - Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker, Nero, or other....not just burn software, but software capable to produce the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc?

At the moment, are you getting the exact same burn to error message whether the burn to is to DVD disc or Folder (4.7 GB)?

More later.

ATR

• 26. Re: Ski Trip DVD
                                                            Margaret Dougal Level 1

Sent from my iPad