12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 9:30 AM by Steve Grisetti

Where has PE10 sound gone?

JJPD3

Using PE10 on Dell XPS8500, W-7.  Recently applied "get video" and now I can edit video portion but there is no actual

sound, even though the graph shows (in green) on the timeline.  Rendering the clips does not work.  How can I get the sound back for editing?  System worked fine a month ago.  My video card is Radeon HD7770. 

Help please!!!

• 1. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which Get Media option did you select?

What model of camcorder is this video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you added the video to your project, did you wait for it to fully conform before you began editing?

• 2. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?
            JJPD3 Level 1

Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:50 PM

To: JJPD3

Subject: Where has PE10 sound gone?

Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?

created by Steve Grisetti in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

• 3. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?
              JJPD3 Level 1

a) I use "Get Media" from upper right screen between "Media" and "Instant Movie"

b) I use two cameras:

1) A Sony TRV11 (tape) bringing in images via firewire as AVI 720x480. Source Audio 32K Hzx 16 bit.  Project Audio 32K Hz x 32 bit.

2) Panasonic HDC-HS300 (Hard DRive) transferring AVCHD (MTS) 1920x1080.  Audio sample rate 48K Hz compressed x 6 ch.

Project 48K hz 32 bit floating, 6 ch.

3) Yes, I wait.

• 4. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?

Are you saying you're bringing 6 channel and 2 channel sound into the same project?

I don't think that's going to work in version 10. In fact, mixing Dv and AVCHD footage in the same project in version 10 isn't likely to work. Versions prior to version 11 are very temperamental about their source footage, and your project settings must pretty precisely video specs in order for things to work correctly. And that includes indicating if your video is stereo or 5.1.

What are your project settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

Are you issues with all of the audio from all of your video sources, audio only from one of these sources or randome problems with your audio?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?
                  JJPD3 Level 1

Sorry that I was not clear about using 2 cameras, NOT on the same project.  Everything worked fine until the first time I opened a project for the Sony camera.  Then, I got no sound.  Thereafter, on  separate projects (this time, with the Panasonic) I had no sound either.  So the audio is now gone from all sources, that is, from either camera on separate projects. Outside this program, sound works fine.

Re Sony camera, When I "get media" from "DV Camcorder" I get the message "Your camera settings...results may not be optimized" but I cannot find a location where I can change settings.  The data (without audible sound) gets imported.  The project settings under "general" show a dimmed-out editing mode "HD1080i" and frame size 1920x1080.   Playback settings are (Highlighted)DV: 29.97 720x480i drop frame time mode

Display audio samples..

Re Panasonic, I "Get Media" from "flip, AVCHD..."  Again, dimmed edit mode is 1080i & frame size 1920x1080.  Playback shows 24p conversion and interlaced.  External device: none, Aspect ratio: Hardware.

Desktop audio.  External Device: None.

As you have probably guessed, I am an old newby but any help that you offer is greatly appreciated.

• 6. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?

When you look at your timeline, do you see a waveform representing audio on your video clip? If not, what do you see on the audio track?

If so, have you or are you using a microphone or do you have a microphone plugged into your computer?

• 7. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?
                      JJPD3 Level 1

Yes, I see the wave form as normal on both camera projects, just no actual sound.

I have never used a microphone re this program and there is no other peripheral equipment.

• 8. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?

It sounds like your audio is very much in your Premiere Elements project but, for some reason, the program isn't porting them through your operating system.

If you output a video from your project using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube HD preset, can you hear the audio on this MP4?

• 9. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?
                          JJPD3 Level 1

Sorry, not at all familiar with you tube but if I "Burn to disc", the sound is there on disc playback for both AVI and AVCHD projects...

There is just no sound for editing.

• 10. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?

Doing what I suggested has nothing to do with Youtube. It merely outputs your video so that we can check it for sound. But, since you say your DVD has sound, let's assume your sound is fine -- it's just not playing from the program.

Open your Audio Meters (under the Tools menu) and play your timeline. Although you can't hear your movie playing, you should see the sound registering on the meters. Is that correct?

Go to the Edit menu and open Preferences. In Preferences, go to Audio Hardware and open the ASIO Settings.

Something in your ASIO Settings is incorrect. If you can post a screen capture of this ASIO panel, I may be able to see it -- otherwise you can mess with the settings. Once they are set correctly the program will play your project's sound perfectly.

BTW, this is all assuming that you've got the latest RealTek High Def Audio Codecs installed on your computer. You can (and should) download them from this page.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

• 11. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?
                              JJPD3 Level 1

Steve, you're a genius!

I confirmed that the drivers were up to date and followed your instructions re ASIO settings.  Re-entered the settings and BINGO!  I have sound for editing.

Problem solved.  

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

QED

• 12. Re: Where has PE10 sound gone?

Glad we could help, J! Please mark this thread as correctly answered, if you would.